Thread: Heat Pump T-Stat settings

Post Likes
    Hi everyone, question for the pros. In regards to t-stat settings when used with a heat pump I've heard two things and I'm a little confused. One statement was to set the t-stat at a specific setting and leave it alone (don't turndown when not home). However, I've also heard that if you have an adaptive t-stat it's ok to set the t-stat down more than 2 degrees because the t-stat would adjust the time to bring the temp backup.
    Question, which "practice" is true or more importantly better for overall performance and efficiency. Thanks

Post Likes
    Both

If you have a stat with addaptive intelligent recovery you will save money by setting it back.

If you have a none programable stat...leave it alone.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Post Likes

Set the thermostat for design temperatures and do not deviate from the design temp settings recommended by the designer.

If you are away for an extended period of time set the thermostat above or below design temps for energy savings.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    You'll have no problems setting the indoor temp. ,above or below the design temp.,but in colder weather it may not be able to maintain much warmer then the design temp..

Setting it back ,and saving money,depends on how the system controls are setup.It cna be wired with an outdoor stat to prevent auxillary strip heters from coming on ,above the "balance point"(temp a which you need them to maintain temp.),then set back is no problem.

Using a programable stat,with a recoverry featuere that locks out the strip heat will work too,as suggested above.

You'll need an onsite Pro to check out how it's wired and advise what can be done.

Post Likes
    I don't care how adaptive or intelligent the stat is, do a setback near at or below the balance point of the house, you will use backup to warm up. Period. An adaptive stat can't make the heat pump put out more heat!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in