Thread: $49.95 furnace cleaning

South/West of Quebec in the other part of Canada
    Post Likes
    I saw an ad today, where a company was offering a $49.95 furnace cleaning...

This lead me to wounder as to what they are offering...

Any Thoughts?
    It's Time To Be Nice To People

Post Likes
    Originally posted by key
    I saw an ad today, where a company was offering a $49.95 furnace cleaning...

This lead me to wounder as to what they are offering...

Any Thoughts?
    maybe a sales pitch?

Post Likes
    Maybe a lost leader ad to get into the house.

Post Likes
    Thats the call where they come out and take the furnace door off and say "Yep...it's dirty allright..its gunna cost you extra for this, this , and that".

Post Likes
    Usually these outfits are not sending you qualified techs, but what we call "SID"s or "Salesman in Disguise". They are willing to take a loss on the call in order to get them in your door. Then the sales pitches begin. Everything is against code and a fire hazard, and you will die tonight if you don't buy a new....or at least let me put on this device.

Post Likes
    Companies make very little money from residential clean and check services, and an average price for a company to even break even on one would probably be around $100. Now if a company can schedule them all close together to where they are not driving 30 minutes to each call they might make a few bucks.

My suggestion would be to never use one of these specials, find a good hvac contractor and pay them whatever they charge to do it. It will only be a difference of $50 or so but you wont have to worry about being scammed.

Oops! didnt think about the no pricing rule, but my pricing in this post is just a ballpark and will probably vary greatly depending on the area.

Post Likes
    Either they are offering a standard clean and check, but aren't charging enough. Or they are going to blow through there so they still make some money, but not do a complete job.

You get what you pay for.... and I've even preached that to the people who need to hear it most (if you've been in the business section, you'll know who I mean lol).
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Post Likes
    drive by cleaners lol
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Post Likes
    You get what you pay for. I went to work for a local residential company to learn the trade. Day one, a filter has two sides. Day 30, I'm doing furnace and AC tuneups. Conscience got the better of me.

Post Likes
    It's a gimmick sure as hell. Works on the less learned and the elderly. Foot in the door and find a bunch of things need fixin' for extra $$. "Course you don't have to fix it but cold weather is comin and it's sure to break down then and cost you a bundle" etc......

Duct cleaning for $99 works the same way. No way can you do a decent job with a portable unit and a low pressure hose. But you can be in and out in an hour. Do a half dozen cleanings on a good day, maybe even before a late lunch.

Post Likes
    49.99 = A DUST OFF !!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in