Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Wouldn't a properly sized supply run solve the whole thing?

Quote Originally Posted by simonmason View Post
    I can't remember. I don't know how long it has been since the fans have been working. The room is always cold.
    If you cannot remember the room ever being warm, either rhe booster fans have been burned out forever, or they never did any good in the first place. My money would be on the latter bet. Furthermore, I would bet that if you pulled the booster fans out of the duct and then patched the duct where the fans were, the room might actually feel a little warmer. Not much, but more than you have had so far.

By how you describe the addition, it is a huge heat loser, and you do not have enough warm air going in to offset the loss. Mimi split is probably your best option, since your existing house system might not handle a room with that high of a heat loss.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

I am trying to zero in on a solution here. I looked at the system board - it is a Comfortmaker C8MPN100F14B1. I do see markings for EAC but there appears to be no connector. Same is true for the CONT FAN next to it. I am assuming that this model did not have this option installed. I see a what I thinks is a relay right next to it with an open NC or NO. I am assuming this is a low voltage relay, but assuming it triggers when the furnace runs I might be able to do something with this? I put pictures below of what I am seeing. Thanks for the direction.

http://postimage.org/image/c7ph2vhpf/
    http://postimage.org/image/ov9tt4m03/
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Booster fans rarely solve the issue. Unless the ductwork is inaccessible it needs to be corrected. The minisplit would be the best solution.

The mini split is not in the budget at this point. The two ducts supplying the room are underneath the concrete slab. There is the possibility of adding a return although there is one in the room next door right next to the door. In theory, more air into the room would raise the temperature? All I need to try this is to figure out the best way to kick in the fans so that they don't run all of the time.

In line fans usually slow air flow rather than boost it. It just acts as a restriction in the duct. Look into ptac unit (like in hotel rooms) they are much cheaper than mini splits and work well for sunrooms.

So pull out fans and go with separate unit?

I am not a fan of boosters but have used them when customer insists. Installed one in a two story for a guy and he was very pleased. I used a larger fan than the duct size. They usually recommend upsizing them. As I said I used pressure switch and relay but sail Switch will work also.

So pull out fans and go with separate unit?
    Pull the fans out and go with a Packaged Terminal Air Conditioner (PTAC), like you see in hotel rooms. Those are available as heat pumps with electric backup, just like a regular heat pump.

Your problem is way too much heat loss for the pathetic amount of air supplied to the room from the furnace. Pulling the booster fans out may improve airflow to the room, but may not make it much warmer. The PTAC can dump a lot of heat into the room at one time. Main disadvantage is it will increase your monthly energy bill, depending on how warm you want to keep this room. Do you use this room all the time?
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

Yes, it is our Family Room! Currently there is a baseboard heater in there that barely heats the room and we supplement with a plug in electric radiator. So I am already increasing my bill to heat the room. But these are only running when someone goes into the room. I was looking for a solution that can also take care of the air conditioning because the room is really warm in the summer. As I am writing this maybe I need to start looking into a split instead.

Yes, it is our Family Room! Currently there is a baseboard heater in there that barely heats the room and we supplement with a plug in electric radiator. So I am already increasing my bill to heat the room. But these are only running when someone goes into the room. I was looking for a solution that can also take care of the air conditioning because the room is really warm in the summer. As I am writing this maybe I need to start looking into a split instead.
    I read a lot of the posts before seeing this one. You have a problem (Houston).

If you can't heat the room with a seperate electric heater and 2 supply runs, I don't know what to tell you. Yes, as mentioned by other, a seperate unit (obviously) is needed.
    The question is: Do you want to throw your money on the utilities away? Where is the Ted guy when we need him? He would say (as we all would, duh) INSULATE! Or tear the room off and start over.

Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    The question is: Do you want to throw your money on the utilities away? Where is the Ted guy when we need him? He would say (as we all would, duh) INSULATE! Or tear the room off and start over.
    Trust me, I was holding back on a building science rant. Sometimes I think folks tire of hearing it, but then again...

Quote Originally Posted by Shophound View Post
    Trust me, I was holding back on a building science rant. Sometimes I think folks tire of hearing it, but then again...
    I apologize......I thought it was the "Ted" guy. It's no rant, it just make sense!

If he can't see that he needs to tighten things up a bit, then there's no help that can be given.
    Last edited by George2; 11-30-2012 at 06:45 PM. Reason: spell check

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast