Ok to Turn HEAT PUMP breaker off

I have a heat pump with gas backup. I live in Va so its pretty cold in the winter. I generally leave it on emergency heat because gas is cheaper than electric here. When the furnace turns on , the heat pump and furnace fan run for a minute then it shuts off and I can hear gas firing up and then blower comes back on. Since I use it like this could I just turn off the breaker to the heat pump so it wont keep coming on for 1 minute and shutting off all winter(it cant be good for the unit). Will this work ok if I shut off the 220v heat pump breaker?

It would be better to simply set the thermostat for "emergency heat" which will prevent it from signaling the heat pump but it will keep the crankcase heater on, if there is one.
    If you choose to turn off the breaker, be sure to turn it back on hours before you resume the use of the heat pump.

I do leave it on emergency heat however the heat pump kicks on along with furnace fan for a minute. I guess it the thermostat doesn't send the signal that it is on emergency heat until after heat pump kicks on. Then it and fan go off , and I can hear the gas igniting from the furnace and then blower cuts back on.

Im sorry, I was mistaken. I "thought" the heat pump came on but it was just the blower for a minute, then it shuts off and I can hear furnace gas igniting and then blower comes back on. I guess thats how it works. Thanks for the reply KDean1.

I'd have the installation double checked, especially if it's using a dual fuel module.. It shouldn't be doing that on emergency heat mode.

So you are saying the blower shouldnt come on momentarily and then shutoff? Immediately after the gas fires up and blower comes back on and all is well. It works fine.

He might have fossil fuel kit that uses a sequencer which can take a min or so to energize furnace like you describe.

Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    He might have fossil fuel kit that uses a sequencer which can take a min or so to energize furnace like you describe.
    With so many types of fossil fuel kits it's hard to say.