Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: furnace: Payne vs. Goodman

Post Likes

Re.

Re. Your questions on proper BTU sizing and the contractor responses.

Two years ago I requested bids to replace my ancient floor furnace heating system in my 1,900 sq foot home. I am not a technical guy, my background is in finance/accounting. I did want some basic information from each contactor before I commited to a bid.

Three contractors submitted bids with vastly different BTU ratings for their furnace recommendations. No one could really explain why their furnace's BTU rating was correct vs the other bids. No one did anykind of calculations. Just a walk through the house. Equipment choices- 2 were Carrier and one was Trane.

The contractor selected used Carrier equipment. I selected him based on his close location and his written bid quality--the other two guys had basic arithmetic errors in their bids.

Installation and operation of system is okay; however, system is still not balanced. Tempature is front rooms is uneven. Became tired of contractor sending out guys who could not really speak english. I personally believe that the front return register is improperly located, causing uneven temperatures in the front rooms. Will live with it.

Neighbor next door used same contractor to install a Goodman heating & Air Conditioning sys. Furnace unit's exhaust is ducted-out under his kitchen window. The noise is incredible. Noise bounces off his driveway directly to my home. When his furnace is on my bedroom is filled with his furnace noise. Contractor is reluctant to fix the problem. I believe either the installation or the unit is faulty.

Something should be done to standardize the industry approach to very, very basic heating/air conditioning installation and operating issues. As a home owner many times you cannot get rational answers to basic questions. It is not a perfect world, but does it have to be so imperfect?

Thank you for listening.

Dalt

Post Likes
    Originally posted by RoBoTeq

This particular furnace is still being manufactured with the same materials. It sometimes takes a while for an issue to evolve.

Of course you wouldn't worry about negative information given about a product you like, that's what makes you "special".
    I don't sell that brand, buddy, I just have the common sense to read between the lines. If they're just now getting around to suing Carrier after 20+ years of doing the same thing (which I doubt because no furnace design back in the mid-80's is still around today) then it's obviously not that big of a problem. To mention it now, however, when someone mentioned your favorite product alondside another not only looks disingenuous but it also looks like you're trying to make you & your product look better. Which is fine, but to say you're just trying to look out for the consumer when most eveyone here knows you're a rep for Goodman is probably as close to a lie as I've seen from you, RoBo.

And that's upsetting because I've come to have some respect for you.
    WHY?

Post Likes
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Special Ed
    [B]
    Originally posted by RoBoTeq

Which is fine, but to say you're just trying to look out for the consumer when most eveyone here knows you're a rep for Goodman is probably as close to a lie as I've seen from you, RoBo.

And that's upsetting because I've come to have some respect for you.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I could care less about someone who calls me a liar claiming to have respect. I know that I don't lie. I know that I am only here for my interest in our industry. It is jerks like you who keep making the same association with who I happen to work for today that have the tendency to post whatever you think makes you feel important. I wonder why people like you didn't attack my employement when I was selling York or Rheem products?
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    The lawsuit in question is more about the fact that the HO has to pay the labor costs of replacing a warrantied HX. I think that is where this suit falls apart.

How many furnaces only came with a ten year warranty and the HX failed in 16 yrs. Why isn't that a lawsuit? Apparently those HX weren't manufactured very well and by just about every manufacturer out there.

But back to the OP's question.

I sell and install Amana/Goodman and I install Payne for Home Warranty's.

Recently I replaced the furnace and A/C in my father in-laws house and was given a choice,by my boss, of either Payne or Goodman. I chose Amana.

Amana has a Lifetime warranty on their HX on the AMS95. If the HX were to fail on their furnace while you live there, they will not just replace the HX, they will replace the entire furnace. Can't find that at most other manufacturers.

You will have to spend a little more to get this warranty on the AMS95, but the rewards will be a tax credit on your 2006 return for buying a 95% efficiency furnace and possibly a rebate from your local gas co.
    Also the peace of mind that you will have a furnace that will outlast all other brands. And Amana's HX has been test fired over 1 million times.
    The AMS95 is Energy star rated!

So if you were to spend a little more now you would start saving more later.

But if you must choose between a Payne and a Goodman. I would go with Goodman.
    Goodman's GMS9 has a lifetime warranty on the HX as long as you live there. 10 yr. furnace replacement,if the HX were to fail.
    If you were to spend a little more for a GMS95 you would get the tax credit and a possible rebate from your local gas co. Also Enegy star rated.

BTW, All Amana furnaces are now 2 stage convertible.

My choice is Amana/Goodman

We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

Post Likes
    Just a clarification .. you dont need "alot" of people for a class action law suit - you only need 10 or more people to have a class action - there is no hard numerical rule, it depends on what the judge will allow ..

Post Likes
    Lets all be honest, I dont care what brand you buy, or what the heat exchanger is 15-20 years from now my infinity will me a dinosaur and so will everything else. you can have a 20 year old car that still runs but a new still runs better, I think its crazy how people spend $20-$30 grand every couple of years on a new car and worry about the heater they bought that costs half maybe even a quater of the price of the car lasting for 20 years or more. 15 or 20 years from now just get a new heater just to update it im sure most people will have been through 2 cars by then. shoot my wife has been through 2 in the last 5 years

Post Likes
    agreed - near as I can tell, the internals are all made by the same suppliers, and the only real novelty is in the Heat exchanger - usually protected by patents - but who cares, they get the efficiency numbers regardless, & the operational programming in furnace controller board - other than that - its a box of tin with burners ..

[Edited by thefatguy on 11-23-2006 at 02:47 PM]

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tbox8098 View Post
    Robo,

By no means am I trying to get into a spitting contest with you. I admire your dedication to this community and the information that you share.

I do feel strongly about the information regarding the suit and simply want people to understand what the truths are as they have been presented to me, as well as the research that I have done.

The original poster was looking for advice on a furnace. I think that we- myself included have gotten off track from his post.

If it turns out that I am wrong and hundreds of thousands of furnaces start failing left and right. Then i am wrong and will personally admit it.

I do not like how the industry is using this to try and sell against Carreir/Bryant.

The local Lennox supplier has this info posted all over their offices and it does not even effect my state.

IF I am using this for my personal agenda then I am sorry and apologize to everyone that I have offended
    Old Thread/Post but don't you feel like a fool now?

I'm an owner of one the the models covered in the now settled lawsuit.

Long Story short, I qualify for a $970 rebate ($650 for part plus4 hours labor) towards a purchase of a Carrier/Carrier owned brand furnace. Both of the Carrier Dealers in my area (one is Bryant) basically are quoting the same thing/price... Goodman is coming in less even without all the BS rebate crap and of course they both bash Goodman when in reality they are selling me Builder Grade models..

I'm now researching Goodman vs....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in