+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Two jobs

Post Likes

Two jobs

I'm wondering if its possible to work two jobs in this trade. Not two different hvac companies but do my normal job and maybe a gas station nights and weekends. Just wanna get ahead and save money. Not afraid of the hours I think I could handle 70 hours I get like 50 a week doing refrigeration

Post Likes
    Pick up some side action

Post Likes
    I did it in the beginning when I was younger. I also worked at a gas station when we got slow one year and we were only getting 32hrs a week. Fist two years in the trade I kept my job at a convenience store I worked nights and weekends. Just do not let it interfere with your main job.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

Post Likes
    if you need the money then go for it, most of my co-workers moonlight, I rather spend time with my family, time is money but money cant buy time.

Post Likes
    Don't forget who puts food on the table and pays the doctors bills. Your main job HAS to come before the rest
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    I understand that my regular job is most important. Question is how to balance it when we all know our jobs are not cut and dry there is no 9-5 in this trade and them the on call rotation. Not sure working in this trade is conducive to having a second job

Orange County, in a Galaxy far far away...
    Post Likes
    A regular 2nd job in addition to HVAC is not really doable in my opinion. You might think you can handle 50-70 hours a week but in all honesty none of us can keep up that pace indefinitely. You simply get burned out. Wanna go out with friends? Nuh uh, you won't have any friends after a few months because "all you do is work".
    Another side effect is being too tired at your main job to do it well and most importantly SAFELY.
    I do regular side jobs for friends and family only on weekends and only if its worth my time. A day off is worth more than $50 for 5 hours work.
    Cav, just start doing small, manageble side jobs. If I give up a Saturday or Sunday I expect $300+ so should most guys on here, we're skilled, knowledgable, professionals not day laborers.
    That's more than you get working for a week as a gas attendent or almost any job that will align with your hvac schedule.
    There's a reason guys do side jobs not 2 jobs...

Post Likes
    No way I could do it at my age. Make it known you are available for side jobs if they can wait and don't be afraid to set a worthwhile price. It will still be cheaper than full contractor price.

Just make damn sure you are not stepping on your boss's toes! I tell people if I there's one of my company's stickers on the duct they better make sure they scrape it off beyond recognition before I get there as I'll turn and walk.

Post Likes
    It seems most side jobs are people that don't wanna pay. I hate going out of my way to help somebody to get the old Nickel and dime routine plus I'm usually to nice. How does one figure a price for side work? Units the same as a regular company than most would rather just do it and get the benifits of using a company. But we don't wanna kill ourselves for pennies either

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cavalieri85 View Post
    It seems most side jobs are people that don't wanna pay. I hate going out of my way to help somebody to get the old Nickel and dime routine plus I'm usually to nice. How does one figure a price for side work? Units the same as a regular company than most would rather just do it and get the benifits of using a company. But we don't wanna kill ourselves for pennies either
    If I do any work on the side I make it worth my time. I charge the same rate that we charge at work. If the customer doesn't like it then call someone else. It stops all the nuisance calls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Post Likes
    Might I suggest using your spare time to further your education? Short term, the extra money would be good, but in the long term more advanced education and skills will yield better results and better financial stability.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in