I was recently contacted by an individual with Tolin Mechanical in reference to a possible open position.
    They are headquartered in Denver, CO but this position would be in the local area in the "Rust Belt" of Ohio.

I was curious as to wwhether anyone out there in HVAC land has heard of these folks. Good company to work for? Bad?
    Reputation?

You know, you'd like to give people/companies the benefit of the doubt but over the years I've been "jerked around" by people who will tell you anything to get you in the door
    but then quickly backpedal on most of the things promised
    (I guess I should get things in writing, but you hate to be a jerk yourself. It's a shame that a handshake doesn't mean anything anymore.)

I think before I consider any move, I'm also going to want to talk privately with current employees if possible.

Any input would be sincerely appreciated.
    See, the human mind is kind of like... a piñata. When it breaks open, there's a lot of surprises inside. Once you get the piñata perspective, you see that losing your mind can be a peak experience. ~Jane Wagner

denver job

I have not heard of that company but did find some cool jobs in Denver on this site
    http://www.mepatwork.com

check with the whole sale house in the area. ifc that outfit buys from those goys, they should be able to tell you alot about the company.

you can also do some online searches, BBB, Consumer Affairs, etc.
    Labor board also.

word of mouth from "CURRENT" employees is always best. provided they are straight.

I say that cause I have left a few outfits where the "Current" guys are satisfied to work underneath the terrible conditions the boss subjects them all to.

But usually, this is NOT the case.

Thanks, R12. I never thought about checking BBB, etc.
    Good point. If they're not legit with external customers,
    they're probably not going to be legit with those on the inside (techs).

I had considered the possibility of getting flawed information by talking with current employees. Some people might be afraid to express their true opinions due to possible reprucussions. I might be allowed only to talk to "hand-picked" bootlickers. But it's worth a shot.

I will check around the supply houses (Thanks for that advice as well!). I've got a few trusted individuals who work in these places that might be able to give me the "inside scoop."

The bottom line- it's a shame that you have to be so cautious when considering a position. But experience has shown me that there is no value in the words and handshakes
    of men in this day of the filthy lucre.
    See, the human mind is kind of like... a piñata. When it breaks open, there's a lot of surprises inside. Once you get the piñata perspective, you see that losing your mind can be a peak experience. ~Jane Wagner

There is a branch here in Phoenix. Very good rep and they do pay at the higher end here. Service manager here also very good rep. They do different types of work for customers, but here at least if you're HVACR-you are HVACR. You won't be doing escalators one day and sprinklers the next. Bright yellow vans with a big 'T'olin.