Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defrost timers

Defrost timers

Which brand do you guys find to be the most reliable? Seems like I'm constantly replacing paragon. Always sticking in defrost. The last few, I've gone with Grasslin. Also, I have a catalog that sell the Paragon timer motor by itself....anybody tried that?

I prefer Paragon's for durability but we stock Grasslins on out trucks because you only need to stock 1 clock. They are almost idiot proof now. No more dip switches.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

I like paragon myself.

Seems like most of the paragons I replace are 20 or 30 years old, and the grasslins I replace are around 5.

We use paragon also and I rarely replace them. I've only seen 3 failed....

The Paragon mechanical timeclocks have lost a lot of their reliability from my experience. It used to be my standard "go-to" clock, but since they started manufacturing them in China, I'm lucky to get 2-3 years out of them.

The Grasselin is quite popular, but I had some souring experiences with them. The first one I tried fried an output relay within a week. A 40 amp (rated) relay should do that when tied to a 1 HP 230V unit. Since then, I haven't bought any but have a half dozen fail with a year on new units.

My preference now is Paragon's 9145-00, which I've used for about 5 years or so with zero problems.

http://www.uni-line.com/images/docs/150-1893D.pdf

Ive seen gobs of the paragons fail. Usually still trying to turn but stuck in defrost. I like the grasslin but have only used them for a few years so cant attest to the reliability. Not fitting back into the paragon box is a PITA though and the last one i put in wouldnt even fit in the dam condenser enclosure. Had to trim the plastic housing to get it to fit.

The 9145-00 looks interesting. No mechanism to seize.

Thx for the input

Paragon 9145-00... Only had 3 or 4 fail... The "newer" 8145-20's or the 8141's are a different Story. Always fine them sticking.

I like the para's too. But I do make sure to give the gears a quick spray with WD before I install them. Once I get rid of the Para's I will just stock the grasslins. I haven't had a problem with them yet to put a sour taste in my mouth.

One clock to rule them all!!!

Are the Paragon 9145's similar in price to the Grasslins? I'll have my shop look into them. I'm so not a fan of the Grasslins.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Are the Paragon 9145's similar in price to the Grasslins? I'll have my shop look into them. I'm so not a fan of the Grasslins.
    If you were to compare the Paragon 9145-00 with the Grasslin DTAV40, I'd say they're comparable in price...but my supply house has the Paragon set just a tad higher.

One feature I like about the Paragon is its 100 hour program backup capability. Since it's truly electronic timer, it can do such things.

That's an interesting timer ice. Have any of you guys tried the KE2Therm on demand defrost controller yet instead of all this madness?

"They are almost idiot proof now."

Let me at one...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast