+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ducts just cleaned today... Flex duct inner lining ripped and making noise. :(

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Strkout499 View Post
    . Anybody out there who does do duct cleaning, what are some of your reasons for it?
    Name:  Elks_Job_138.jpg
Views: 1930
Size:  65.6 KBHere ya go.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Post Likes
    ...is that a bird? Like I said, for extreme cases we do recommend it. I did have a call once from a landlord who said that the tenants just moved out and the ducts were smelly. I get there, the whole house wreaks, find that the previous tenants took off the ceiling SA registers and threw fish in the ducts, turned the tstat up, and moved out. The landlord was fairly rude to me, so I can only imagine how he was to the tenants, but there was no cleaning those. That house got brand new ductwork a few days later.

Post Likes
    The whip duct cleaning works well for metal trunk line duct runs, with a strong vacuum attached to the trunk line. I would never try to attempt flex duct cleaning. It damages the lining and insulation in the duct every time. Brushes are just a bad idea with flex.

Post Likes
    We used to clean flex duct all the time with bristle brushes, specifically air care brushmaster. We have had 5 cases of torn ductwork in 3 years. However, I will admit that it's impossible to inspect every square inch of ductwork for tears after it has been brushed. An air whip is safer for the flex duct, but doesn't get the duct nearly as clean as a roto brush.

Post Likes
    I give the company points for responding. Some of the wording in the contrat you signed typically will say something about them not be able to be responsible for any damage to the inner liner that might take place.

Typically, most companies will respond and replace short sections but it sounds like these guys are willing to go the extra mile.

And, no, I also don't recommend duct cleaning. What I recommend if the homeownere wants to know the conditions of his duct work, is having an HVAC company take apart accessable ducts joints and inspect the ducts by actually looking. A remote camera is also a valuable tool in this effort too.

What flex ducts might have stuff in them is typically easier to replace then to clean in any fashion suing brushes or vacuums which will and can damage that inner liner as you know.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Post Likes
    I agree with others that I would give the company a question a fair chance to review and fix the problem. I would, however, be concerned that if you are able to see rips and tears in the accessable parts of the flex duct, that it is like that throughout. I'm no expert and dont know what the cost of cleaning is, but I'd wonder if it is not just easier and more effective to replace flex duct for which there is a substantail concern of excessive dirt and debris than try to have it cleaned. I replaced several runs of flex duct at my house for less than $200, and did not find it difficult. But I researched how to do it properly instead of just slapping it on like most homeowners probably would.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jimj View Post
    Name:  Elks_Job_138.jpg
Views: 1930
Size:  65.6 KBHere ya go.
    and if ductwork was sealed so bird couldn't have gotten in there...why would
    duct cleaning be needed.
    properly installing & sealing of ductwork, plenum connections, return air
    leaves no areas for debris to get into ducts.
    thus no need for duct cleaning.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by energy_rater_La View Post
    and if ductwork was sealed so bird couldn't have gotten in there...why would
    duct cleaning be needed.
    properly installing & sealing of ductwork, plenum connections, return air
    leaves no areas for debris to get into ducts.
    thus no need for duct cleaning.
    All very true! I know you do a lot of duct sealing after the fact, so what do you do with all that dirt that is now going to come out of the newly sealed ducting with higher velocities and volume?

Just asking?
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Post Likes
    I take things apart. as the parts come apart I inspect the insides.
    if the flex is moldy, or dirty..it gets replaced.

if the ductwork is hard pipe I'm inspecting it prior to sealing.
    around here lots of hard pipe is held together with just duct tape, which you don't discover
    until you unwrap it. (usually duct wrap is shot..one of the reasons for sealing is to re-insulate)
    with just duct tape holding it together, it constantly comes apart, so as I screw sections back together
    I look inside. I've had to take sections out and hose them out, let them dry & then put them back
    together.

hvac company takes static pressure readings before & after to show any changes.
    it was actually this forum that made me aware that I needed to be careful with sealing ducts
    & the effect it could have on static pressure.

for a while the guy I usually work these jobs with would take sp readings, but a couple of
    hvac companies didn't like that...so now the hvac co takes readings both before & after.
    fine with me...having extra eyes on my jobs is a good thing IMO.

what still amazes me is the amount of dirt, spiderwebs, sheetrock dust & crap in
    return air chases. homeowners are amazed...but never thought before to vac out
    return. once the chase is air sealed & lined with ductboard which is then mastic
    sealed..returns don't get dirty again. I've seen return used to store all kinds
    of stuff..paint cans, cleaning products & a few things stashed away from
    parents by their kids.

I've done a few duct change outs of flex duct after duct cleaning. not sure what
    they used..whips brushes lions tigers or bears...but the flex liners were shot.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in