Hybrid View

The worst internet service on earth

I use to think dial-up was bad. Hughes Net is just as bad and costs more. Call them up and they have you do self checks on the equipment. Nothing is ever wrong. They like to blame your computer. I had cable service before. Never had any problems.
    If it rains,snows,high winds etc. forget doing anything on the internet. Your better off with dial-up. Anyone else have hughes net service?

COX Cable here at home and at work. Had QUEST at work until a week ago,, constant problems especially if it rained.
    If you can't fix it with JB Weld, Duct Tape, and Ty Wire it has to be replaced.
    No good deed goes unpunished.
    If you want to take off friday to go fishing then make sure you train your helper right.

I've done some DSL support in the past and 95% of service issues are equipment or inside wiring related. If the telco sends the technician and it turns out to be an issue with your equipment, you're left with a $100 bill and no repair as there's nothing a telco tech can fix but he still has to eat. When I explained that to our subs, they were more than happy to spend a few minutes on the phone with me Here are some tips to keep your service reliable:

1) DO NOT push the reset button on the back of your modem or router - probably #1 cause of "my internet service isn't working" calls - pushing the reset button performs a factory reset on your modem so you lose all the settings you put into it, including the username and password

2) If you lose your connectivity, unplug your modem and router (if you have a separate one) from power and wait a minute (30-60s). Plug it back in. If you have 2 devices, plug in the modem first, wait for the DSL light on the modem to stop flashing and become solid and then plug it back in. That takes care of most of the rest of the problems

3) Phone cord from modem to jack should be 7' or less, quality brand like GE (no dollar store crap), direct to wall

4) If you also have plain old telephone service, make sure all of your phones/fax machines have a filter and double-filter your cordless bases.

5) Make sure your inside wiring is up to snuff. Your phone wiring, just like your gas piping are your responsibility

6) Poor wireless performance isn't your ISP's fault. Chances are you have lots of RF (radio frequency) interference in the area. If you are experiencing slow speeds, turn off all computers and smartphones, just plug one CLEAN computer (preferably running mac os X or Linux or a fresh windows install that didn't have the time to pick up viruses/malware) into the router and go to a speed test site

If I had someone who knew what he was doing (loved working with sparkys, alarm techs and mechanics [both refer and auto]), I could go through all the testing in about 15min, 30min with your typical HO. The longest tickets are the ones where the sub hit the reset button and I'd have to guide the HO through reconfiguring his equipment

I switched from DirecTV to Dish network and the dish is larger.

They mounted it on the gable end of my roof and anytime there is adverse weather I loose signal.

Had a tech come out and the first thing he said was " who did that mess". He said for the smaller dish it was probably okay, but the larger dish needs a very sturdy mounting place.

Not sure if this is your issue or not.

I also think Dish equipment is second hand, used or just plain slow processing speed as it takes forever to switch between channels.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by maxpower View Post
    I use to think dial-up was bad. Hughes Net is just as bad and costs more. Call them up and they have you do self checks on the equipment. Nothing is ever wrong. They like to blame your computer. I had cable service before. Never had any problems.
    If it rains,snows,high winds etc. forget doing anything on the internet. Your better off with dial-up. Anyone else have hughes net service?
    I've used Hughes net before, my first time using satellite internet...had always heard how fast it was.

The tech came out, spent half a day searching for signal, I had internet for a week before I had them shut it off. It never cut out on me but at the speed it was moving I thought it had.