Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SYSTXCCITN01 Infinity Touch Control - Energy Tracking

So far, my installer hasn't been able to get an answer from Carrier as to why the Touch Control installed on November 8, 2012 with my Green Speed heat pump system doesn't track energy usage for cooling, heat pump heating, and electric re-heat, and it has no menu item for entering equipment efficiency data (SEER, EER, etc.). These features are described in both the customer guide and the installation instructions, but don't appear to be activated in my control.

I opted to get the touchscreen control without the wifi feature. According to the installation instructions, they are identical except for the wifi feature.

The installation instructions are here:

http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc...ccitw-03si.pdf

See 6.3.4.10. Energy Efficiency. This menu item doesn't exist on my control.

Also see the image under 6.5.10. On my control, all but "continuous fan" and "electric heat" are greyed out, so it's not tracking energy use for cooling, heat pump heating, or electic re-heat (applies to defrost/dehumidify only).

The software version shipped with my control is 131493-05. Is there a software update that Carrier needs to provide to my installer to fix this issue?

I emailed Carrier Customer Service and their advice was to contact the dealer who "sold me the software" or call another dealer.

there is a section that you have to input your energy costs before it can do any tracking
    Total Energy Management, inc

Quote Originally Posted by isuredo View Post
    there is a section that you have to input your energy costs before it can do any tracking
    Yes, I know. I've input those costs and it IS tracking for continuous fan and electric heat. The question is why is it NOT tracking for cooling, heat pump heating, and electric re-heat? Those lines are greyed out as if they don't apply to my equipment. Doesn't make sense to me or my installer.

Another Question - Fan Coil Status

Another issue for which my installer hasn't found an answer.......

Reference the installation guide, menu item 6.5.1. Fan Coil Status. This image shows readings for "leaving air temperature" and "indoor coil temperature". However, my unit shows readings of "N/A" where the temperatures should be.

Are there additional sensors that need to be purchased and installed in the air handler to activate this feature?

Whats the status? Is it all figured out and tracking fine?
    Always here

Quote Originally Posted by energy star View Post
    Whats the status? Is it all figured out and tracking fine?
    No definitive answer from Carrier yet on the energy tracking. Their latest response to my direct inquiry was as follows:

"Thank you for contacting Carrier.

I would advise that you continue working with your installer. Based on your
    description, your dealer has already reached out to the appropriate channels.
    The representative at the distribution center would be waiting for a response
    from an engineer. Please further the conversation with your installer. Thank
    you."

As to the 2nd issue related to displaying coil temps, Carrier info online indicates additional optional temp sensors would be required for this feature. I don't need them, so I'll pass on this option.

Still don't understand why energy tracking doesn't work. The control reflects the correct model and serial numbers of my installed equipment, so unless my equipment isn't included in the list applicable to to this feature, I'm puzzled.

There is an asterisk in the installation manual that indicates energy tracking is only applicable to specific equipment. Is it possible the new Greenspeed variable speed inverter driven heat pump isn't included in the list of "specific equipment" for this feature? It seems to be tracking for the air handler (continuous fan, electric heat) but not for the heat pump (cooling, heat pump heating, electric reheating).

Heat Pump: 25VNA036A00300 S/N: 3812E08705
    AHU: FE4ANB006T00 S/N: 3812A83696
    Touch Control: SYSTXCCITN01 S/N: 3512W001690

Fj,

I have a friend/customer with the WIFI version thermostat, and he too doesn’t have that option working properly on his thermostat. I have wondered how Carrier will be updating the “firmware” of these net-enabled devices – whether online in WIFI (net enabled mode) or via USB stick to registered owners (via dealer network), or even simply emailing or providing downloadable updates.

Since this is an “intelligent” net-enabled computing device thermostat, seems Carrier should do this as a matter of normal business practices as they refine the thermostat unit and find programming glitches (as Google/Microsoft/apple, etc tend to update their hardware & software).

Do you have a USB port on the bottom edge of your thermostat? Ask your installer (or Carrier) if they can provide a newer software load stored on a USB stick that can be uploaded into the thermostat to fix the glitch.

Apparently there *is* a “software upgrade” option under the special service menu if you hold down that icon for 10 seconds - can you get to that icon and, if so, you should be able to do this *if* someone provided you with that USB stick.

Be nice if Carrier would notify all registered owners of new updates directly, and then advise to get with their installer to load the new update. This is good business and can add even more business to the dealer network by getting them back in the door to perform further check-ups or services.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    Fj,

I have a friend/customer with the WIFI version thermostat, and he too doesn’t have that option working properly on his thermostat.

I have wondered how Carrier will be updating the “firmware” of these net-enabled devices – whether online in WIFI (net enabled mode) or via USB stick to registered owners (via dealer network), or even simply emailing or providing downloadable updates.

Since this is an “intelligent” net-enabled computing device thermostat, seems Carrier should do this as a matter of normal business practices as they refine the thermostat unit and find programming glitches (as Google/Microsoft/apple, etc tend to update their hardware & software).
    I've had some offline discussions with a Carrier pro I found in this forum and he confirmed through his field service rep that Greenspeed condensing units are not yet considered "applicable equipment" for energy tracking. Most likely the algorithm to measure "variable" energy usage hasn't been written into the software yet. An upgrade may be coming in the future if they can figure out how to write the algorithm.

Still waiting for my installer to have this info fed to him through his channels, but at least now I know WHY my system isn't tracking energy usage.

Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    Do you have a USB port on the bottom edge of your thermostat? Ask your installer (or Carrier) if they can provide a newer software load stored on a USB stick that can be uploaded into the thermostat to fix the glitch.

Apparently there *is* a “software upgrade” option under the special service menu if you hold down that icon for 10 seconds - can you get to that icon and, if so, you should be able to do this *if* someone provided you with that USB stick.

Be nice if Carrier would notify all registered owners of new updates directly, and then advise to get with their installer to load the new update. This is good business and can add even more business to the dealer network by getting them back in the door to perform further check-ups or services.
    Yes, there is a USB port at the bottom of the control and I found the menu item for "software upgrade". I've asked my installer to obtain the upgrade when it's released. I'm not sure how Carrier intends to distribute upgrades, but I believe it would be through their dealer network. I'd much prefer allowing customers to download upgrades directly from an online site, but I seriously doubt Carrier would trust your average consumer not to mess things up with DIY upgrades.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 03-12-2013 at 08:23 PM. Reason: non AOP member

jet21025

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-12-2013 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Non Pro * member

She's been great about follow up - here's her consumption
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....1#post16194071

I'd like to understand better how Carrier tracks and reports information too. Unfortunately, unless you have a really great Carrier rep, getting the finer details is like beating your head against a brick wall. (Imagine being in 10th grade, feeling lost and wanting help with your homework, and being told to talk to a bunch of 6th graders.)

Here are screenshots of what Ecobee's reporting looks like, I find this information fantastically useful. http://bit.ly/4ecobeethermostats
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

cold55, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary or ask questions of the OP here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast