Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lotta new schools around here. Chillers & boilers. So maybe that's how the big boiler makers last. Or churches. We have a new 2M Fulton Pulse and a bunch of Carrier splits with air handlers in our renovated building.

In a big city, there's often district heat. Indy has one of the largest in the country. Most older buildings don't have boilers and get their steam from the district plant. About all new buildings in reach of their lines get their steam and chilled water from them. Many older buildings that lose chillers also tap into the lines.

[QUOTE=BaldLoonie;14631661]Lotta new schools around here. Chillers & boilers. So maybe that's how the big boiler makers last. Or churches. We have a new 2M Fulton Pulse and a bunch of Carrier splits with air handlers in our renovated building.

In a big city, there's often district heat. Indy has one of the largest in the country. Most older buildings don't have boilers and get their steam from the district plant. About all new buildings in reach of their lines get their steam and chilled water from them. Many older buildings that lose chillers also tap into the lines.[/QUOTE

What's interesting is that when it comes to office towers that are newly constructed, they do not want to seem to use boilers or district steam.I wonder why the aversion to district steam in new construction??? Is it for the same reasons new office buildings refuse to install boilers for HVAC?? Once again, it seems all new buildings constructed in the past 30 years want electric heat or heat pumps. Nobody seems to want hydronic heating in their new building!! Any thoughts appreciated!

Thanks.

Cost cost cost.

But when gas and oil were cheap and comfort was more important than efficiency.
    There were dual duct systems!
    Heat was sized to be used with cooling in a dual duct application as are 100% of my accounts.

Now single duct vav.
    Series and parallel fan powered boxes with strip heat on the perimeter! Basically to wash the windows!

Now they are using lighting with way less watts/btus.

The lack of heat from lighting decreases cooling load but
    Increases the heating requirements.

Nothing is free!

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Lotta new schools around here. Chillers & boilers. So maybe that's how the big boiler makers last. Or churches. We have a new 2M Fulton Pulse and a bunch of Carrier splits with air handlers in our renovated building.

In a big city, there's often district heat. Indy has one of the largest in the country. Most older buildings don't have boilers and get their steam from the district plant. About all new buildings in reach of their lines get their steam and chilled water from them. Many older buildings that lose chillers also tap into the lines.
    If Install cost is such a factor for the change from boilers to heat strips, did they simpley have more disposable income to spend on eqipment back then??

Baldlonnie; You say that many schools in your area have chillers and boilers. How old are these schools?? I would quess that any school with HWH Boilers would be built in the 1970s or before.

Thanks for the comments!

From what I see, schools built today locally have boiler stacks on their mechanical rooms, usually have air cooled chillers for cooling. In schools, compared to offices, most rooms have lots of windows and there tend not to be the interior only rooms so there is more heating demand. Offices often have a large interior area where heating would never be needed.

Friend of mine once worked in the Hennepin Country crime lab. They have 5 air handlers in a penthouse, an air cooled chiller on the roof, connection to district chilled water and use district steam for heat. Course it gets colder up there!

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    From what I see, schools built today locally have boiler stacks on their mechanical rooms, usually have air cooled chillers for cooling. In schools, compared to offices, most rooms have lots of windows and there tend not to be the interior only rooms so there is more heating demand. Offices often have a large interior area where heating would never be needed.

Friend of mine once worked in the Hennepin Country crime lab. They have 5 air handlers in a penthouse, an air cooled chiller on the roof, connection to district chilled water and use district steam for heat. Course it gets colder up there!
    I think this highlights the difference between structures built for lease, like office towers, and those that are purpose built and owner occupied.

Another question that this thread has lead me to ask is; "Why don't any new office towers use district steam (such as Con Edison) for their heating needs??Instead they want to use heat strips.

With district steam space is not an issue, and their is no boiler to maintain. You also do not require an engineer on site to watch boiler/steam operations.

I simply do not see why district steam is also being phased out in new construction? Is electric heat ALWAYS the standard when constructing a new building such as a office tower??Thanks for your imput!

Humm, this thread is starting to sound like one we had a few years back.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12