+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ecobee or Nest

Post Likes
    Yeah, I've analyzed power data more than any sane person should. The result is $120 summer power bills for a family of 4 in a 1600sqft house. Not bad considering the rest of the family isn't as much of a conservation nut as I am. Proper utilization of VPP rates knock about 1/4th off the bill.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    We've had a couple customers with Nests. Such a frustrating stat to install.
    You are joking right???
    "When you perceive zoning not as a bandage but as an enhancement, you truly understand the dynamics and limitations of forced air heating and cooling"

Post Likes
    I like the nest, very easy to install. It is overpriced. Hard for me to make any money on it when they can by it at Lowes for just a little more than i can buy it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    I like the nest, very easy to install. It is overpriced. Hard for me to make any money on it when they can by it at Lowes for just a little more than i can buy it.
    The Nest stat is not something to take lightly or thumb your noise at...it was well developed and being well marketed. You need to look at it as an opportunity to either help your customer get it installed or install it for a potential new customer.

I have heard of some companies offering a deal if done with a maintenance check-up. You have to think like the Nest folks do...outside the box!
    "When you perceive zoning not as a bandage but as an enhancement, you truly understand the dynamics and limitations of forced air heating and cooling"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    Maybe you need to charge more for your time. That's where you are adding value.

And if they don't buy it from you, they are their own warranty station.

Post Likes
    Have you looked into the Nest service? Nest sends you the customers that can't get their stat hooked up. Not sure what percentage they pay the contractor. Nice way to get your foot in the door though.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Prestige IAQ with a redlink gateway

We have done quite a few of those and wow..... endless possibilities with the sensors they have and will have....
    Warning: Just because I am over the head injury doesn't mean I'm normal!

The day I stop learning.... I'm dead!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    Have you looked into the Nest service? Nest sends you the customers that can't get their stat hooked up. Not sure what percentage they pay the contractor. Nice way to get your foot in the door though.
    I have. Ive been signed up for that for a few months and havent had the first call.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Purcell1 View Post
    i do have a question, my understanding is that the ecobee needs a wireless router present in the home to run the wifi? Im looking into putting a stat in at the cottage that i can monitor from home. But we have no internet there, any ideas?
    http://venstar.com/Thermostats/ACC0433/
    Got my 1250's....Ready for Spring

Post Likes
    I like the Nest and Prestige IAQ with a redlink gateway.

The Nest has very good home web page that brakes down your energy usage and easy to control home comfort programing. But not very good if you set the away temp a long ways from your comfort temp. It's a self learning stat and has a motion sensor that helps you set your programing. Very cool stat if you play with one!

The Prestige IAQ has alot of options and is very easy to set up and will work with all types of systems and IAQ. It is pricey but for all the options worth it.

Post Likes
    OK I am taking a NEST for a test run next week then a ecobee the next week. At first look I really like the way the Nest looks but the Ecobee is really starting to grow on me.

Post Likes
    Good luck! Give the nest a few weeks for the data to build up on the web site that is when it gets fun for a Tech to play with.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
    We have done quite a few of those and wow..... endless possibilities with the sensors they have and will have....
    so i am very fond of the HW 8000 series especially ease of set up and installation.. is the prestige still have this user friendly feel? I realize there is a little more involved in initial set up but is it still close to the straight forward feel of the 8000s?

TIA

Post Likes
    also is the Prestige available with an ability to add on a few room sensors ? i may need to put stat in one side of home near large living area and master bedroom but the home is oddly shaped and part of home is sort of isolated from main part of house and its going to be hard to keep these temps comfortable with it being so far from Tstat.. so maybe like an option to add a room sensor or two that works with Tstat as to take those rooms into account before shutting down??

Post Likes
    For what it's worth, I have already had two homeowner installed Nest thermostats fail. For whatever reason the switch inside the unit will not allow a full 24V on the W wire. This was on two different systems, in different houses. It would not energize the heat relay in the board of the furnace because it was only sending 14V from the T-stat.

Sold them a Honeywell with the red link t-stats instead, and they returned the Nest.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HotWaterHeat View Post
    For what it's worth, I have already had two homeowner installed Nest thermostats fail. For whatever reason the switch inside the unit will not allow a full 24V on the W wire. This was on two different systems, in different houses. It would not energize the heat relay in the board of the furnace because it was only sending 14V from the T-stat.

Sold them a Honeywell with the red link t-stats instead, and they returned the Nest.
    Got to love the power stealing technology Nest uses...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HotWaterHeat View Post

There is a fix to that. It will happen in cooling also

Post Likes
    Yep a easy fix for that!

Post Likes
    Yeah isolation relay.
    Governments don't tax to get the money they need, governments will always find a need for the money they get. Ronald Wilson Reagon

Born Again KA

Post Likes
    ECOBEE DOES THE SAME AS NEST AT A LESSER COST. I WOULD GO WITH ECOBEE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in