Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ecobee or Nest

Honeywell prestige HD IAQ with Internet gateway ! Most expensive but most impressive IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    Not when dealing with the typical oversized system or TOU rates. For constant power rates and a correctly sized system you are correct though.
    My suspicion too, but I want to KNOW. At least have a number of case studies.

If we could just have the data, we could know for what situations what management strategies work best.

http://bit.ly/gainsvillegreen

http://bit.ly/gerardihpregistry
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

http://www.newfuelist.com/~40dc/hone...ver-thermostat

Looks like the round Honeywell dial is patent protected?
    ENJOY THE RIDE

i do have a question, my understanding is that the ecobee needs a wireless router present in the home to run the wifi? Im looking into putting a stat in at the cottage that i can monitor from home. But we have no internet there, any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    My suspicion too, but I want to KNOW. At least have a number of case studies.

If we could just have the data, we could know for what situations what management strategies work best.

http://bit.ly/gainsvillegreen

http://bit.ly/gerardihpregistry
    I could send you some of my screenshots from my power data logs showing cost and KWH broken down hour by hour. We have variable peak pricing during the summer months. BTU per watt is better during the cooler night and morning hours when outdoor temperatures are lower. Temperature is kept 72 until 2:00pm, then goes to about 78 (varies depending on peak price), at 7pm recovery starts back to 72, takes until about 10pm to get there. On weekends we just let it ride @ 74 since it's off peak rates all day.

In winter I like to have the thermostat to drop down to help cancel the solar gain during the day. The sun will provide much of the heating during the day and the house will be reheated for free by time we get home. If we leave the heat @ 68 it will be 72 by time we get home. If we turn the heat down to 65 it will be 69 when we get home.

Here's some screenshots of our power use on a 100 degree day:
    6PM spike is when we started cooking dinner.

Name:  9-5-12 cost.jpg
Views: 997
Size:  19.3 KBName:  9-5-12 kwh.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  20.1 KBName:  9-5-12 price.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  18.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    Here's some screenshots of our power use on a 100 degree day:
    6PM spike is when we started cooking dinner.

Name:  9-5-12 cost.jpg
Views: 997
Size:  19.3 KBName:  9-5-12 kwh.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  20.1 KBName:  9-5-12 price.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  18.8 KB

That is very cool!
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Yeah, I've analyzed power data more than any sane person should. The result is $120 summer power bills for a family of 4 in a 1600sqft house. Not bad considering the rest of the family isn't as much of a conservation nut as I am. Proper utilization of VPP rates knock about 1/4th off the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    We've had a couple customers with Nests. Such a frustrating stat to install.
    You are joking right???
    "When you perceive zoning not as a bandage but as an enhancement, you truly understand the dynamics and limitations of forced air heating and cooling"

I like the nest, very easy to install. It is overpriced. Hard for me to make any money on it when they can by it at Lowes for just a little more than i can buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    I like the nest, very easy to install. It is overpriced. Hard for me to make any money on it when they can by it at Lowes for just a little more than i can buy it.
    The Nest stat is not something to take lightly or thumb your noise at...it was well developed and being well marketed. You need to look at it as an opportunity to either help your customer get it installed or install it for a potential new customer.

I have heard of some companies offering a deal if done with a maintenance check-up. You have to think like the Nest folks do...outside the box!
    "When you perceive zoning not as a bandage but as an enhancement, you truly understand the dynamics and limitations of forced air heating and cooling"

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    Maybe you need to charge more for your time. That's where you are adding value.

And if they don't buy it from you, they are their own warranty station.

Have you looked into the Nest service? Nest sends you the customers that can't get their stat hooked up. Not sure what percentage they pay the contractor. Nice way to get your foot in the door though.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast