Replacing Split System Heat Pump

Planning on replacing a 2T 11 SEER heat pump split system with a Goodman 2T 16 SEER DSCZ160241 compressor and a AVPTC313714 air handler. System will be on east coast of central Florida where temperature dips into the 30's a few times a year at most. Based on my interpretation of previous postings, the dual stage compressor coupled with a variable speed blower motor will result in slightly better efficiency than the single stage compressor and better humidity/comfort control. Is my understanding correct? Do I need a specially matched thermostat for this system or will my simple digital thermostat suffice? If the temp only dips into the 30's a few times a year do I need aux /heat strip? Is UV light worth considering? If so, why?

Quote Originally Posted by jayp View Post
    Planning on replacing a 2T 11 SEER heat pump split system with a Goodman 2T 16 SEER DSCZ160241 compressor and a AVPTC313714 air handler. System will be on east coast of central Florida where temperature dips into the 30's a few times a year at most. Based on my interpretation of previous postings, the dual stage compressor coupled with a variable speed blower motor will result in slightly better efficiency than the single stage compressor and better humidity/comfort control. Is my understanding correct? Do I need a specially matched thermostat for this system or will my simple digital thermostat suffice? If the temp only dips into the 30's a few times a year do I need aux /heat strip? Is UV light worth considering? If so, why?
    Two stage stuff is great for all you mentioned. Regarding the thermostat, and other questions, what is your service provider's direction on this?

I wouldn't go for the uv light, instead I'd put that money towards
    mastic sealing ductwork, plenum connections, supply boxes @ cut into
    ceiling & return air.
    if all is mastic sealed to stop leakage/i..then nothing gets into
    the ducts/plenum to need uv light.
    add pleated media filter and you'd be great.

dual stage compressor & vs ahu will keep unit in low speed allowing
    air to get colder during cooling season (like La..9-10 months!) and remove more
    humidity. if you have lots of company/cooking/100 degree days the system
    has capacity to ramp into higher speed & handle the bulk of the extra load.

I like to stage the electric strips. I have mine set up to only use half of the
    10kw at a time. (5 kw at a time).

16 SEER is a good upgrade. not so expensive as to put it out of reach
    but enough of an upgrade to get you the humidity removal and performance
    and still have a decent payback time. I think you've made a good choice.

best of luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Shoul ask them to include a thermostat that can slow the VS blower done to help remove more moisture to keep humidity down when needed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by jayp View Post

Planning on replacing a 2T 11 SEER heat pump split system with a
    Goodman 2T 16 SEER DSCZ160241 compressor and a AVPTC313714 air handler.

System will be on east coast of central Florida where temperature dips into the 30's a few times a year at most.

Based on my interpretation of previous postings, the dual stage compressor coupled with a variable speed blower motor will result in slightly better efficiency than the single stage compressor and better humidity/comfort control.
    If the temp only dips into the 30's a few times a year do I need aux /heat strip? Is UV light worth considering? If so, why?
    If the heat pump goes out,
    heat strips will provide sufficient heating capability for a few days.
    Otherwise, you'll probably never need them.

( except, weather like early January 2010 which may happen less than once a decade or so).
    http://www.wunderground.com/history/....html#calendar

2 heat strips at 5 kw each are a Minimal cost.

I would only use TRANE within 3 miles of Atlantic Ocean.
    OR will Goodman going to provide _Full 10-year warranty_ with labor on condensing unit?

BTW, why are you replacing an 11 SEER system.
    It's not > 15 years old yet, Is It?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

If you are replacing a properly functioning 11SEER unit just for energy savings you will be disappointed. A 2 ton unit is already an energy miser, your power bills shouldn't be that high to begin with. The 2 stage compressor doesn't improve EER very much vs the 14/15 SEER units. EER is rated at 95 outside/80 inside, SEER is rated 82/80. Do you think a 2 degree difference is realistic for calculating energy savings?

Mastic sealing ductwork, plenum connections, supply boxes @ cut into ceiling & return air will save you money and offer a reasonable payback period. You can do this without replacing your 11 SEER unit.

Thanks for all the responses. The 11SEER heat pump system is only 8.5 years old but it has serious leaks in both the indoor and outdoor units(coil and accumulator). Only reason I'm looking at another Goodman is their 10 year warranty on parts and lifetime on compressor. Because I was getting a lot of particulate matter accumulating on all flat surfaces, I had all the ducts and plenum joints sealed with mastic and the supply points caulked around the edges. Am using 12 MERV 4" filters as well to keep allergies in check. All of your responses have helped me understand the problem better. Thanks again.

The 11SEER heat pump system is only 8.5 years old but it has serious leaks in both the indoor and outdoor units(coil and accumulator).
    Too bad about the crappy install.

Make sure they braze with nitrogen and include filter driers. You'll probably have to breathe down their necks and be a PITA.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Carrier and Bryant are also offering 10 year parts warranty too, it comes with 5 and if you get online and register them it will increase it to 10 for free

Aren't nearly all the scroll compressors actually manufactured by Emerson/Copeland anyway?

http://www.emersonclimate.com/en-us/...mpressors.aspx
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities