Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My shop provides recovery machines, specialty tools, and construction tools(lifts, pipe threaders and the mule, chop saws etc.). Everything else is on my dime, which is fine by me. I'm not stuck in one place. I can pack up and go anywhere or start on my own at anytime if need be.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Thanks to everyone! This is such a relief of anxiety of tool cost, this has reassured me about going into HVAC. You guys really cleared things up.

My father is an auto mechanic. If it helps relieve the anxiety more, I think the hvac pay system is better too.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Now that I think of it, digital thermometers and leak detectors, and the such maybe 8k or so.

jp, Are the digital manifolds that much better than a $25 Ritchie manifold, a digital thermometer and a PT chart? I just can't seem to pull the trigger. Maybe I'm stubborn
    I could burn up an entire thread extolling the virtues of digital manifold gauges.

Rather than hijack this thread, I'll keep it short and sweet.

0.5% accuracy, a display that gives exact pressure and saturation temperatures, real time superheat readings and they're one H**L of a lot more durable than Ritchie's plastic cased trash gauge heads. I went digital 3 years ago and now only carry my 2 digital manifolds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike19 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what do your companies provide, and what are you responsible for buying on your own?
    Currently, I carry a company torch, recovery machine, vacuum pump and sawzall. There might be another tool or two, but that's about it.

2sac, just do it dude!

I was thinking about this the other day.... I figure I have 8-10k on my van. I bought all of my own specialty tools though because we don't have enough to go around and I can take them home to use them if I want. Just buy a few things here and there, you would be surprised what you will have in 5 years. Also ask all of us what's good so you don't buy crap and have to buy something twice.

To start out you dont need anything fancy. I buy alot of craftsmen hand tools because there a good brand that if i break a wrench there replaced for free. To start working for someone normally you dont need everything if your an apprentice because your working with a tech ussally and they have anything beyond your basic hand tools. But you can slowly build up your own tools that you need as you go. Will you buy price wise what the auto techs have to put out probbly. The thing to remeber that most dont tell you is if they buy there tools from mac or off a truck like most do they dont have to pay then if they have a good report with the company. Alot of the tools and tool boxes go on a monthly bill like a credit card

Probably own close to 10K. When I started I had to provide most all the tools. Not so much nowadays.
    I show up at customers door with some 2K in my toolcase
    Fluke multimeter, fluke thermometer, amprobe, digital manometer, digicool gauges and an assortment of handtools.
    Then more come out of the van as needed. Van is a shop on wheels.
    ENJOY THE RIDE

Im a Auto Tech , and a HVAC tech

For car tools , Pffffftttt , my snapon box alone cost me 5 grand empty , then spend 20 grand to fill it up

For AC stuff , 5 grand buys all the basics

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12