+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which socket wrench do you have ?

Post Likes

Confused Which socket wrench do you have ?

I need a socket wrench, the budget it's around $40, so far i've been at the orange square the craftmans low profile seem nice but heavy and kind of big.
    I am wondering which socket wrench do you guys have in your Veto ?

Post Likes
    I don't have any in my veto.... why would I? if I need one I'll walk back to my truck and get one. I like those stanley black chrome one. I have a mastercraft mechanic set that sit in my truck most of the time.
    Have tools and gauges, will travel.
    ------------------------------------------------------

RIDGID|YELLOW JACKET|UEI|TESTO|STANLEY|CPS|VETO| KLEIN|MILWAUKEE|MASTERCRAFT|

Post Likes
    I don't carry ratchets and sockets with me on a regular basis, but most everything I have is Craftsman.

These are the ones that go in my Veto LC for every day use. 5/16" up to 3/4"

Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    I have a set of ratchet wrenches in my tool bag. Man they're handy.

Post Likes
    I carry a 1/4" Craftsman set in my Veto MB. Mostly for use with the impact driver, but I also have a 6" extension and a Craftsman teardrop ratchet.

Not an everyday thing, but the weight isn't that bad.

I've got the matching 3/8" and 1/2" ratchets in the truck if needed.

Post Likes
    Like most of these guys, I don't keep a full ratchet and socket set in my bag. I keep a little 1/4" set in my bag (in a molded case) and a set of GearWrench ratchet wrenches, 1/4"-3/4" in the toolbag. The full 3/8" and 1/2" drive set is in my truck when needed. The 3/4" drive set stays in a special box at the shop for chiller and large boiler work.

Post Likes
    Craftsman ratching wrenches in the tool bucket. Craftsman socket set in the truck
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Got an adaptor to use with the impact drill and brought the regular socket set back home.

Post Likes
    I wouldnt be able to lift my tool bag if I had to have a ratchet set in it. I only do resi so I only use my set for comp changes an motor changes

Post Likes
    Does anyone have the Klein set ? I do residential too and my rachet broke last week so i need a new one but i dont want pay big buck for snap on or other top brands

Post Likes
    I keep a selection in the van. had been wanting to find a 1/4" set in compact box. found one in little metal box, about 1" x 8" x 2 1/2". switched out the china rachet for c-m,added some metric to it to get a s/m selection.

some of my 1/2" drive are craftsman, a nice teardrop 1/2" ratchet from northern tool, some 1/2" stuff I got at an estate sale for $2, american made from some defunct co.

crasftman hex wrenches for elec work as well.

has anyone noticed craftsman has turned communist (made in china)? check on their fan site, one thread 98 pages long about it. I say that because I traded in an allen wrench set sat and when got home, my usa part was traded for a china set. called back and I'll be getting my old set back, I'll just replace the bad hex wrenchs in the old set somewhere else.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by billygoat22 View Post
    ...has anyone noticed craftsman has turned communist (made in china)? check on their fan site, one thread 98 pages long about it. I say that because I traded in an allen wrench set sat and when got home, my usa part was traded for a china set. called back and I'll be getting my old set back, I'll just replace the bad hex wrenchs in the old set somewhere else...
    Most of the Craftsman stuff I see is made in USA, although every once in a while I catch something made in Taiwan or China. I was shopping for 1/2" swivel adapter for my impact and I saw two of them of two different designs. One design was made in USA and appeared more heavy-duty than the Taiwan one. I bought the USA one, and it was galled and bound up within a few months. I returned it and got a new identical replacement with no questions asked. This one will probably fail the same way, because the metal is clearly too soft for impact duty. As long as they keep replacing them, I'll stick with them. It's a heck of a lot easier to exchange Craftsman tools than it is to exchange Snap-On or MAC or Matco or S-K or any of those other primo brands... Unless you spend $$$$ with those guys, they all cop an attitude when you bring them a broken tool.

I've stopped buying imported goods whenever possible. Even if it's a high-end import like Knipex, Mitutoyo, or Wiha, it's not an option for me anymore. I'm also making a concerted effort to apply this logic to groceries and household items, but that can be a little more difficult at times.
    Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    As a former employee of AutoZone, I used to get discounts on tools. The DuraLast brand tools have a ratcheting wrench set, containing only 2 wrenches, with 4 sizes per wrench (5/16", 3/8", 7/16", 1/2" on one wrench, and 9/16", 5/8", 3/4", and 13/16" on the big one). This is very convenient to keep in my tool bag because it weighs very little and can do a lot. I use the small one frequently and have never had it break. This set used to be $20 but I think now its $30.

In the truck I keep the AutoZone Duralast 3/8" ratchet socket wrench set that has metric & standard, normal & deep sockets. It was more that $40 though, I think maybe $75? It is a very nice set with lifetime warranty, very nice molded plastic case. Never had it break (though I don't use it that much.)

I also have a 1/4" socket wrench set in the truck - a Kobalt set that was given to me. It has a nice blue case. However the ratchet direction switch tends to not stay put and will cause the thing to slip as it pops out of place. Pretty lame.

Post Likes
    Jonnesway. I got them at fastenal. Prettty nice. The ratchets I have, have a lot of teeth in them. So they are really smooth and you can always get them in the right position...... I paid 25 bucks for a 3/8 ratchet.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    Most of the Craftsman stuff I see is made in USA, although every once in a while I catch something made in Taiwan or China. I was shopping for 1/2" swivel adapter for my impact and I saw two of them of two different designs. One design was made in USA and appeared more heavy-duty than the Taiwan one. I bought the USA one, and it was galled and bound up within a few months. I returned it and got a new identical replacement with no questions asked. This one will probably fail the same way, because the metal is clearly too soft for impact duty. As long as they keep replacing them, I'll stick with them. It's a heck of a lot easier to exchange Craftsman tools than it is to exchange Snap-On or MAC or Matco or S-K or any of those other primo brands... Unless you spend $$$$ with those guys, they all cop an attitude when you bring them a broken tool.

I've stopped buying imported goods whenever possible. Even if it's a high-end import like Knipex, Mitutoyo, or Wiha, it's not an option for me anymore. I'm also making a concerted effort to apply this logic to groceries and household items, but that can be a little more difficult at times.

I snapped off my 1/2 socket wrench changing a wheel bearing in car. Was using it with a five foot cheater bar..... took it and got it replaced at sears... got it home.... made in china and the mechanism was messed up. Went back and me and the sales clerk went through their shelf trying to find a working one. They ended up replacing mine with one of their 1/2 thin profile wrenches. I have not bought craftsman since that day. If I just wanted the warranty harbour freight now has it on their pittsburgh line of tools.

They are making everything in china now. If you want their American made tools you have to buy online, from their "industrial" line. AKA same tools for more money.

Post Likes
    As i said i ilke the craftmans, they seeem well built but kind heavy for a 3/8" and i am not 100% convinced that is a good one. BTW i dont carry the sockets and wrench in my service bag, a CLC that look like a Veto, but cost 3 times less, the heavy tools are in the other bag.

Post Likes
    Keep a set of gear wrenches to 9/16" in bag along with set of Dewalt magnetic nut setter to 1/2" for my impack driver. Very seldom have to use sockets any more. Keep an extension for the nut setters for hard to reach and compressors hold down bolts.

Post Likes

new

i just finished school for hvac a couple months ago, get a job in building management place the guy that was suppose to train me quit 2 weeks after i started,
    any ideas as far as learn the equipments trouble shooting etc....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by eag1el View Post
    i just finished school for hvac a couple months ago, get a job in building management place the guy that was suppose to train me quit 2 weeks after i started,
    any ideas as far as learn the equipments trouble shooting etc....
    Modern Refrigeration and Air Conditioning, get the manuals of the equipment you work on and read them, get "PRO" status here. and read, read, read all that you can here. Only time, determination, commitment, a basic understanding of things mechanical can help you now.

...Ron
    Roof Rat

Post Likes
    I like Williams.

http://www.snaponindustrialbrands.com/30/home.htm

Made by Snap On, you can get them from Amazon for a song and I've yet to break one yet unless I was outright abuseing it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in