Thread: Carrier Infinity vs. Trane Comfort Link zoning systems

Post Likes
    Is there anyone familiar with BOTH of these zoning systems that can tell me why they think one is better than the other? I am considering a total new high end system with variable speed blower and 2 speed air conditioner (e.g. Trane 19i) and think the zoning control is an important part of the choice.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Use the "search feature" on this site,lots of posts regarding the Infinity Zoning System.I think you'll find it's the best one ,today,as I've not heard anythig different on this site,but I am really not that familar with Trane's Zoning System.

Post Likes
    i love tranes equipment, i think you are making an excellent choice in in the 19i and xv system,but the carrier zoning system is better than tranes.i have talked to others who are installing the carrier zone system and it is excellent.the company i work for actually uses tz4 in stead of the trane zoning system.we have had less problems with the honeywell stuff compared to the choo choo zoning system.im my opinion,the only zoning system that comes close to the carrier system is the harmony 3 by lennox. i dont care for carrier furnaces or h/p, but their zoning system is really good

Post Likes

desto1 and dash

I have heard that the Infinity Zoning System is the best but I don't know why. Can you tell me why the Carrier Infinity zoning system is better than the Trane Comfort Link system? I think they BOTH control VS blowers, 2 stage furnaces, 2 stage air conditioners, and modulating dampers. Until I hear otherwise, I am not doubting that the Carrier system is superior. I just want to know what advantage the Carrier system has over the Trane system.

Post Likes
    Properly designed, installed and set up you would be very hard pressed to tell the difference between a Carrier Infinity zoned system and a XL19i with the Comfort Link system in day to day operation in your home.

The problem is that the Trane system is probably the most complex of all zone system on the market right now to design and set up. It is also tricky to diagnose problems with one if you don't have access to the loads/design criteria, and a computer to hook up to the zone panel.
    Relative to the number of Trane dealers there are, there are only a handfull that are authorized to sell/service the Comfort Link system, training was by invite only in my area when I went, lol. There are software tools that make it not such a pain to design and configure the system, but it is still well outside what I would trust the average HVAC contractor to install.

The Infinity system is virtually plug-n-play, and the controller(thermostat) is one slick piece of hardware that will display most of the diagnostic info you could ever want.

Within a year or 2 Trane will have a system with similar zoneing ease. Hopefully it will be a true variable capacity system, only more reliable and simpler to work on than the XV1500 was.

Post Likes

Thanks Mark!

That was a very helpful explanation to me.

Post Likes
    I'm actually going to be using the Comfort Link system in my own house. We are exclusivly a Trane dealer though, and I can get all the equipment at below our normal wholesale cost if I'm putting it in my own house.

I'm gona build an economizer with enthalpy controls, whole house dehumidification and a steam humidifier into the system too.

After I'm done with it, for entertainment, I may engineer a little problem into it by screwing up some settings, then call one of the "$39.95 tune-up" schmucks to come out and "fix" it. muahahahaha

Post Likes
    He'll be changing parts until you shoot him. The Clink is a biatch troubleshoot if you don't have a PC connected to it.

You nailed your description of the difference between the two zoning systems. Design and configuration are huge PITA on the Trane system. They are very similar from an operations stand point.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Post Likes

Exclamation

Infinity Zoning System!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in