Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question on buying a new furnace/ Regarding noise level

Good Morning,

My wife and I are going to replace our furnace that is located in a hallway closet on the second floor of our home. We are looking at the Amana AMVC8 furnace and the Lennox SL280V furnace. Both are variable speed. Our concern is which one would produce the least amount noise. Our installer says they are both quiet, but we have read that the Amana is pretty loud and my wife doesn't want a noisy furnace. We were just trying to figure out if that was accurate, because there is a price difference among the two.

Thanks,

A properly sized blower for the duct system will give the lowest noise, not necessarily the brand of furnace. If you put a 3 ton blower on a 2 ton duct system it's gonna be loud

when they remove the old equipment from the closet
    they could put ductboard on the walls of the closet
    & the inside of the door of closet
    to insulate for sound.
    further sound reduction would be to line
    the return air below the furnace with
    ductboard.
    one sheet should be enough to do the
    entire closet. ductboard is 10'x4'

as it would need to be installed when
    old equipment is out and before new equipment
    goes in..would be the time constraint.
    shouldn't take more than an hour to hour and a half
    at most.
    unless equipment is a tight fit the few inches
    the ductboard takes up shouldn't be a problem.

to caulk the platform the equipment sits on
    and the bottom of the return would also be
    a good idea. sealing the ductboard at corners
    will stop air leakage/return leakage also.

best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

The 80% furnaces that you have listed will have alot of burner noise. Maybe your furnace now has inshot burners as well?

To reduce the burner noise you should consider a 90+% furnace with sealed combustion.

Variable-speed is the quietest blower provided the ductwork is good. Were is your filter now? Under the furnace or on the side?

The Lennox SL280V is by far the quieter furnace. In contrast to the Amana model you mentioned, the SL280V has a sealed burner compartment "SilentComfort technology" that reduces the in-shot noise typical of similar furnaces.

I know the Lennox is more of an investment, but if noise is a problem, you'll be happier with the Lennox.

Thank you for your guys feedback. It is very much appreciated.
    In reply to questions:
    The filter is located under the furnace closet in a cavity. We also have been looking at the American Standard Gold SV furnace. We have been considering a 90% furnace, but our weather is mild here in Northern California, and it seemed like the contractors thought the piping might be difficult and not worth it for the high efficiency models.

Quote Originally Posted by thermojohn View Post
    The Lennox SL280V is by far the quieter furnace. In contrast to the Amana model you mentioned, the SL280V has a sealed burner compartment "SilentComfort technology" that reduces the in-shot noise typical of similar furnaces.

I know the Lennox is more of an investment, but if noise is a problem, you'll be happier with the Lennox.
    Mike........I'm not fimiliar with the Lennox 80%, but it sounds like thermaljohn knows the differance between the two furnaces you listed.

In your Northern California, if you don't use much heat, then the 80% is probably your most cost effective route (depending on rebates).

I would try to incorperate a thick, hi-eff. filter. These help with any air noise.

It doesn't sound to me like you're getting to much good advice for your salesman. Don't feel alone, it happens all the time anymore...........unfortunately!

Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    Mike........I'm not fimiliar with the Lennox 80%, but it sounds like thermaljohn knows the differance between the two furnaces you listed.
    Yes, that particular model is Lennox's top of the line 80%er, sort of in-line with Amana's product mentioned above. The difference in the Lennox version is the plate that encloses the burner compartment similar to a condensing furnace's design. The associated in-shot burner racket is eliminated with it.

What size were you looking at?

Get the smallest furnace available and it will have the smallest fan and least airflow requirement.

Doesn't matter how quiet the furnace is if the duct is screeming like a fighter jet taking off.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Your right George it has been a interesting process here with salesman. Nobody does a load calculation. So I did my own....and figured out we only need about 35,000 btu's of heat according to the manual J. So that has been real a challenge, is trying to find a quiet furnace for a upstairs closet and that will match a new 3 ton AC. I read the variable speed was the quietest and my wife wanted something where the heat didn't always fire at a %100, because it heated up our kids room way to fast which are right next to the furnace. It is a 25 year old 80K furnace.

Thanks thermojohn for the information on the lennox. In your opinion is this the right furnace for what I have been describing?

Thanks again guys for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike530 View Post
    Your right George it has been a interesting process here with salesman. Nobody does a load calculation. So I did my own....and figured out we only need about 35,000 btu's of heat according to the manual J. So that has been real a challenge, is trying to find a quiet furnace for a upstairs closet and that will match a new 3 ton AC. I read the variable speed was the quietest and my wife wanted something where the heat didn't always fire at a %100, because it heated up our kids room way to fast which are right next to the furnace. It is a 25 year old 80K furnace.

Thanks thermojohn for the information on the lennox. In your opinion is this the right furnace for what I have been describing?

Thanks again guys for your help.
    Your welcome. I took it in your ealier post you were just replacing your furnace. You are replacing the entire system?

There is a lot to this process, if you want it done right. Sounds like there is too much air going to the kids room right off the furnace. Common problem. Need to really determine the amount of air that needs to go to the space, and reduce it so there is air left to go somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    What size were you looking at?

Get the smallest furnace available and it will have the smallest fan and least airflow requirement.

Doesn't matter how quiet the furnace is if the duct is screeming like a fighter jet taking off.
    I was looking at the smallest variable speed. The 60,000 btu input.

Quote Originally Posted by thermojohn View Post
    Your welcome. I took it in your ealier post you were just replacing your furnace. You are replacing the entire system?

There is a lot to this process, if you want it done right. Sounds like there is too much air going to the kids room right off the furnace. Common problem. Need to really determine the amount of air that needs to go to the space, and reduce it so there is air left to go somewhere else.
    Yes we are replacing the entire system. It is a split system...single zone. I was thinking of putting in manual dampers for the kids rooms to stop some of the air flow.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast