Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Are some union's going to destroy this country

I am pissed no more twinkies why would the union commit harry Carrie on 18,000 jobs Is this the beginning of the end for many business who are at the mercy of big union. Why would union's who know financially some companies cant afford union demands and excess would rather have nothing didn't they almost crush the auto industry WHY are they doing this. My brother in law is a union electrician apprentice as soon as he gets to be a journeyman he will be laid off WHY union greed over entitlements. Help me understand

This should be an interesting thread.

Sometimes a company....like Hostess lays back and lets the union destroy them. That way they can sell off the company.

I think this might be the case here... Close the biz down....break the union.....reopen under new ownership......and fight unionization of the new employees......or just move the whole operation to a non union area.....

Unions did their part in securing safe working conditions for workers back in the old days..... but now we have the government working to provide a safe working environment for us......and unions are useless in my opinion.... Unions are a business.... they are in business not to help the employees but to make money for the union and its employees..... like politicians they fight for your rights and your pay in order to get more people to join unions. Its sorta a pyramid scheme to me...... more union membership....the more the unions scoop off the top.....

If I was a union person and the union just knocked me out of a job in this economy Id be wanting to take my frustrations out on the union....

Its Harakiri.....by the way..... but even if you said that correctly you would still be wrong..... the workers who stayed with the union committed suicide......the union just pushed them into it.

Its not the fault of Hostess or the union...... its the fault of the employees who should have known that one day they would lose their union jobs because of a contract dispute...... happens all the time..... but like the meth heads out there..... they still keep joining...knowing the dire consequences of their actions.

When someone approaches you about joining a union you should just tell them to hang on a minute.....say you gotta go to the bathroom or something and then run off and find a heavy object....or something like a hammer or something.... something that you can smash their skull in with.... and then go back up to them screaming..... "WHY DO YOU WANT TO TAKE MY JOB FROM ME!!!!!!!!".....and keep repeating that while bashing their head in with your heavy object until they manage to pull you away from the body.
    As Seen On You Tube (usually under someone elses name)

Look for the union label.....and you will find an inferior product that costs too much........
    As Seen On You Tube (usually under someone elses name)

Not to hijack the thread, but are you guys following the Walmart labor problems?

I agree the union had its part in the past and that now the government now is protecting the American worker

Quote Originally Posted by ncboston View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but are you guys following the Walmart labor problems?
    You mean like they are the largest employer in the world. That kind of labor problem?

First off, I am for the most part anti union and pro people should just be hired or fired or get raises based on their own merits. Now having said that here is a somewhat theortecial situation, if anyone would like to comment on it.

The numbers that I am using are just estimates and not based on any actual calculations.
    Say that just two percent of ameicans own practically everything. They are each making about thirty million dollars a year. The other 98% of the population is making less than twenty thousand, basically living in poverty. Would it be better for our country as a whole to have the top two percent make less, say a million a year so that the average working man can make a decent living? I like capatilism, but at some point it can get a little scary if the power get into too few hands. Unions do give the average person more bargaining power against the few that could end up with too much power.

Quote Originally Posted by chaard View Post
    You mean like they are the largest employer in the world. That kind of labor problem?
    No. Like their help is threatening to walk out. As a matter of fact, some employees have already walked off the job.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2130389.html
    Last edited by ncboston; 11-18-2012 at 08:59 AM. Reason: added link

Quote Originally Posted by newoldtech View Post
    First off, I am for the most part anti union and pro people should just be hired or fired or get raises based on their own merits. Now having said that here is a somewhat theortecial situation, if anyone would like to comment on it.

The numbers that I am using are just estimates and not based on any actual calculations.
    Say that just two percent of ameicans own practically everything. They are each making about thirty million dollars a year. The other 98% of the population is making less than twenty thousand, basically living in poverty. Would it be better for our country as a whole to have the top two percent make less, say a million a year so that the average working man can make a decent living? I like capitalism, but at some point it can get a little scary if the power get into too few hands. Unions do give the average person more bargaining power against the few that could end up with too much power.
    Your "theoretical" example is pretty much the truth of how things were in the USA when unions gained power. Say, 1898, the USA was becoming industrialized in a big way. Subsistence homesteading was getting replaced by workers moving into cities and working in factories or whatever. A 12 hour day for 6 days a week was not unusual. Children were worked also, very young and same type of hours. Many people died in unsafe working conditions. It is hard today to imagine the absurdity of how some employees were treated, they might be literally locked inside the work area. There was no real means to petition the business for better wages or working conditions, you might even get yourself a beating on your way home. The government was of no help at all, government actually backed the businesses in most part.

Let me add this: Today we think of unions as angling for money, I am not saying that is not true, but 'back in the day' unions were also much about working conditions and such.

Today the feds guarantee working conditions, minimum wage, and all sorts of work related issues. I think we have the unions to thank for that, without them we would all be working 14/6 for bread and water.

But, as Corny has pointed out already if you can read past his bludgeoning to death fantasy, unions have out-lived their usefulness and are actually become an impediment to a healthy economy in today's USA.

And a few words for corny:
    Dear God, man.

LOL
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"Ain't nobody got time for that". Corny

If you don't want to be a follower then become a leader.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

It was working when I left...
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    If you don't want to be a follower then become a leader.
    Leadership is not all it is cracked up to be.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"Ain't nobody got time for that". Corny

No it isn't
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

It was working when I left...
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast