Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 61

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Fairfield county Connecticuit
    Posts
    778

    Are some union's going to destroy this country

    I am pissed no more twinkies why would the union commit harry Carrie on 18,000 jobs Is this the beginning of the end for many business who are at the mercy of big union. Why would union's who know financially some companies cant afford union demands and excess would rather have nothing didn't they almost crush the auto industry WHY are they doing this. My brother in law is a union electrician apprentice as soon as he gets to be a journeyman he will be laid off WHY union greed over entitlements. Help me understand

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,461
    This should be an interesting thread.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    7,813
    Sometimes a company....like Hostess lays back and lets the union destroy them. That way they can sell off the company.

    I think this might be the case here... Close the biz down....break the union.....reopen under new ownership......and fight unionization of the new employees......or just move the whole operation to a non union area.....

    Unions did their part in securing safe working conditions for workers back in the old days..... but now we have the government working to provide a safe working environment for us......and unions are useless in my opinion.... Unions are a business.... they are in business not to help the employees but to make money for the union and its employees..... like politicians they fight for your rights and your pay in order to get more people to join unions. Its sorta a pyramid scheme to me...... more union membership....the more the unions scoop off the top.....

    If I was a union person and the union just knocked me out of a job in this economy Id be wanting to take my frustrations out on the union....

    Its Harakiri.....by the way..... but even if you said that correctly you would still be wrong..... the workers who stayed with the union committed suicide......the union just pushed them into it.

    Its not the fault of Hostess or the union...... its the fault of the employees who should have known that one day they would lose their union jobs because of a contract dispute...... happens all the time..... but like the meth heads out there..... they still keep joining...knowing the dire consequences of their actions.

    When someone approaches you about joining a union you should just tell them to hang on a minute.....say you gotta go to the bathroom or something and then run off and find a heavy object....or something like a hammer or something.... something that you can smash their skull in with.... and then go back up to them screaming..... "WHY DO YOU WANT TO TAKE MY JOB FROM ME!!!!!!!!".....and keep repeating that while bashing their head in with your heavy object until they manage to pull you away from the body.
    YOU SHALL REAP WHAT YOU HAVE _______ SOWN

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    7,813
    Look for the union label.....and you will find an inferior product that costs too much........
    YOU SHALL REAP WHAT YOU HAVE _______ SOWN

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    5,527
    Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    Look for the union label.....and you will find an inferior product that costs too much........
    That's a lie!
    Tracers work both ways.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,461
    Not to hijack the thread, but are you guys following the Walmart labor problems?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,944
    Quote Originally Posted by ncboston View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but are you guys following the Walmart labor problems?
    Are you referring to what is happening here? http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....1#post14628191
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,461
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Are you referring to what is happening here? http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....1#post14628191

    I was.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Fairfield county Connecticuit
    Posts
    778
    I agree the union had its part in the past and that now the government now is protecting the American worker

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,971
    First off, I am for the most part anti union and pro people should just be hired or fired or get raises based on their own merits. Now having said that here is a somewhat theortecial situation, if anyone would like to comment on it.

    The numbers that I am using are just estimates and not based on any actual calculations.
    Say that just two percent of ameicans own practically everything. They are each making about thirty million dollars a year. The other 98% of the population is making less than twenty thousand, basically living in poverty. Would it be better for our country as a whole to have the top two percent make less, say a million a year so that the average working man can make a decent living? I like capatilism, but at some point it can get a little scary if the power get into too few hands. Unions do give the average person more bargaining power against the few that could end up with too much power.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kaufman county, Texas
    Posts
    10,080
    Quote Originally Posted by newoldtech View Post
    First off, I am for the most part anti union and pro people should just be hired or fired or get raises based on their own merits. Now having said that here is a somewhat theortecial situation, if anyone would like to comment on it.

    The numbers that I am using are just estimates and not based on any actual calculations.
    Say that just two percent of ameicans own practically everything. They are each making about thirty million dollars a year. The other 98% of the population is making less than twenty thousand, basically living in poverty. Would it be better for our country as a whole to have the top two percent make less, say a million a year so that the average working man can make a decent living? I like capitalism, but at some point it can get a little scary if the power get into too few hands. Unions do give the average person more bargaining power against the few that could end up with too much power.
    Your "theoretical" example is pretty much the truth of how things were in the USA when unions gained power. Say, 1898, the USA was becoming industrialized in a big way. Subsistence homesteading was getting replaced by workers moving into cities and working in factories or whatever. A 12 hour day for 6 days a week was not unusual. Children were worked also, very young and same type of hours. Many people died in unsafe working conditions. It is hard today to imagine the absurdity of how some employees were treated, they might be literally locked inside the work area. There was no real means to petition the business for better wages or working conditions, you might even get yourself a beating on your way home. The government was of no help at all, government actually backed the businesses in most part.

    Let me add this: Today we think of unions as angling for money, I am not saying that is not true, but 'back in the day' unions were also much about working conditions and such.

    Today the feds guarantee working conditions, minimum wage, and all sorts of work related issues. I think we have the unions to thank for that, without them we would all be working 14/6 for bread and water.

    But, as Corny has pointed out already if you can read past his bludgeoning to death fantasy, unions have out-lived their usefulness and are actually become an impediment to a healthy economy in today's USA.

    And a few words for corny:
    Dear God, man.

    LOL
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

    "Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

    Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

    I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

    "I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    7,813
    Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    Your "theoretical" example is pretty much the truth of how things were in the USA when unions gained power. Say, 1898, the USA was becoming industrialized in a big way. Subsistence homesteading was getting replaced by workers moving into cities and working in factories or whatever. A 12 hour day for 6 days a week was not unusual. Children were worked also, very young and same type of hours. Many people died in unsafe working conditions. It is hard today to imagine the absurdity of how some employees were treated, they might be literally locked inside the work area. There was no real means to petition the business for better wages or working conditions, you might even get yourself a beating on your way home. The government was of no help at all, government actually backed the businesses in most part.

    Let me add this: Today we think of unions as angling for money, I am not saying that is not true, but 'back in the day' unions were also much about working conditions and such.

    Today the feds guarantee working conditions, minimum wage, and all sorts of work related issues. I think we have the unions to thank for that, without them we would all be working 14/6 for bread and water.

    But, as Corny has pointed out already if you can read past his bludgeoning to death fantasy, unions have out-lived their usefulness and are actually become an impediment to a healthy economy in today's USA.

    And a few words for corny:
    Dear God, man.

    LOL
    I dont have any idea where that stuff comes from.... it just creeps out.
    YOU SHALL REAP WHAT YOU HAVE _______ SOWN

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kaufman county, Texas
    Posts
    10,080
    Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    I dont have any idea where that stuff comes from.... it just creeps out.
    Understood, I have recurring dreams involving a pix-ax for whatever unknown reason.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

    "Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

    Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

    I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

    "I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event