I posted this same question in an earlier post that was probably way too long and involved. Anyway I'm considering a new furnace and have narrowed my choice between the American Standard 90% 2 stage variable speed and the Amana 96% 2 stage variable speed. On paper I like the warranty of the Amana furnace better and the fact that Amana uses both primary and secondary stainless steel tubular exchangers, I feel the furnace replacement warranty speaks volumes about Amana’s confidence in their exchangers. On the other hand I like the reputation of the American Standard brand better, but I am very nervous because in my eyes American Standard’s primary heat exchanger is very similar to the aluminized steel stamped “clam-shell” design that just failed on my “good reputation” Carrier furnace and it seems like the labor bill to replace the "under warranty" exchanger took away the option to fix, I do not want to be in this position ever again. The American Standard is slightly more expensive than the Amana but I am going to say negligible in my case the price difference would not sway me either way. Am I missing something does the American Standard’s 90 2 stage variable speed furnace have some capabilities in terms of operating logistics or features that set it apart from the comparable Amana? I understand the blower motors are expensive on both these furnaces to repair, does one use a significantly superior blower than the other or are they comparable? Is there Anything else I’m overlooking on my comparisons? Which is the best way to go???????

Currently: Denver Colorado area, Previously: East Coast to West Coast + many cities in between.

Smile

Unless you are a licensed HVAC contractor you should not worry so much about the details related to one brand of equipment over another.

What you should do is find the best HVAC contractor you can and build a relationship with him/her. Let the contractor you choose select the best equipment for your application and let him/her do the installation and service the equipment for years to come.

FYI . . . just about all the equipment from recognized unitary equipment manufacturers is good stuff; however, the installation must be good or even the best equipment and your comfort will suffer.

Work at finding the right HVAC contractor and leave the rest to him/her.
    Alex

Take a deep breath and just look at the facts;

Which is more efficient? The more efficient, the more money you save for the next several decades.

Which will get you a tax credit? A 95% or better efficient furnace with a VS blower motor will get your taxes credited with $200.

Which has the better warranty?

Now, weigh in the above facts against the cost to have installed and figure out what your savings will be with each brand.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Yea, that extra 3% AFUE will save you an absolute fortune over the next 30 years

Equipment doesn't matter. What matters is the installation. Making sure it is installed properly is more important.

If it's not installed right you're not going to get the efficiency out of it anyway.

Good Luck!

Originally posted by BaldLoonie
    Yea, that extra 3% AFUE will save you an absolute fortune over the next 30 years

You should see the way Goodman breaks it down in terms of how many trees saved, the equivelant of cars exhaust reduced and the amount of energy saved.....it's a hoot
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV