+ Reply to Thread

Thread: smoke anyone!

Post Likes

smoke anyone!

Is their any issues with duct mount smokes in clubs and such shuting down units with smoke machines in use. I need to put 6 in a skateing rink.

Post Likes
    most smoke machines are not really smoke it is dry ice and water

Post Likes
    but cigarrette smoke is different it really is smoke

Post Likes
    Some smoke machines use Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, and Distilled Water (theatrical smoke).

These, obviously, don't set off smoke detectors (or they wouldn't work in theaters...).

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    Some smoke machines use Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, and Distilled Water (theatrical smoke).

These, obviously, don't set off smoke detectors (or they wouldn't work in theaters...).

Can you explain. I've had steam set off detectors as well as dust. What is different about "fake smoke"?
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    as well as dust
    Ah yes good old dust setting off smoke alarms.. You try to be the good guy and brush off a dirty return grill in a store only to set off the fire alarm and they evacuate the whole shopping mall.

Nope never done that before.

Post Likes
    2sac, I can't, sorry. Just know I use "zero toy" smokers to sniff out air leaks (with a blower door) and you can hold them up to smoke dterctors and they don't go off.

I think it's basically low temperature steam.

DONT do that with caustic smoke pencils, they WILL trigger alarms.

Post Likes
    well...... I have..... way to many times....lol ..... fire department gets over it eventually.......
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    To provide an answer for your original question, you will have to do some homework. Most theatrical fog machines use a water/glycol or a mineral oil mixture to produce fog. It is vaporized and discharged through a nozzle where it immediately condenses to fog. Water/glycol fog is much less likely to set off fire equipment compared to oil based. The main thing is what type of smoke detectors are present in the space. If they are the optical kind which sense particles in the air, you may have issues. If they are ionization type sensors, you will most likely have no problem at all. Of course, there is the possibility that the space has both!

Post Likes
    Thanks to all for the info. has been some time sense i jacked with a detector. I just dont want that late nite saturday call!!!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in