Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Smart phone

That only adds to my suspicion that Google will have a hand in chipping everyone. I.e. mark of the beast.
    Btw, Googles motto is "Don't be evil"

Google IS SkyNet
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    Am I the only one around who thinks these phones turn people into 24/7 phone-fiddling zombies??? They are ingenious marketing tools designed to bombard the consumer with endless advertisement for more useless junk you don't need. If you look around at most people these days and they're not doing something that uses both hands, their other hand is clutching their phone, and they are checking it and looking at it every 5 seconds. I see people walking around in a dazed stupor staring down at their android or iphone not paying any attention to where they are going or the people around them. Driving in traffic? FORGET IT. EVERYONE is stroking their their phone! If you go to a concert or show, the crowd is filled with illuminated screens trying to film the event so it can be posted to some website. No one is watching what's going on on-stage, because they're watching it through a little 3" x 4" screen...

Yeah, there are geeks playing with phones... however these 'toys' are also business tools. More on that later.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    however these 'toys' are also business tools. More on that later.
    I very much agree with this statement. The problem with most people can't use them for work purposes, they use them for games, Facebook, twitter, and the likes and will get all of our phones taken away at work.

Rob- there have been hundreds of times I've used mine standing in front of something. No iom book? No manual? No wiring diagram? No problem! Simple google search or a search of this site and you're on your way. Freonrick and I troubleshot a chiller while I was standing there because we were both on at the same time!

I'm on the evo...but seideo has the best cases.....more durable than an otterbox...

Radioshock will transfer contacts andeverything from one phone to the next for free...

Its an awesome business tool....I use tight vnc and my PC...and android vnc on my evo... I can remote desktop in to my PC in the office from anywhere....

Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk 2
    Testing....Signature on Full Site Forum

I've tested out 3 phones in the past two months. All new, all full of crap I don't want and don't need and won't use. My AT&T bill went up $30.00 too.

I finally settled on a Rugby Samsung Smart Phone which is made to military specs. It's not a phone. It's a pain in the butt for those that just want and need a phone, period.

But it the new way and they control me, I don't control them anymore as a consumer.

I was forced to go from my Treo to a new phone by AT&T cause of the upgrade in service, which I understand. But I have lost most of my contacts, customer lists and info and my calendar and appointments.

And, yes, not trusting this crap, I still kept my original Treo and all the info. I have yet to find a way to easily transfter my contact info from one phone to the other using anytype of software and that includes the one's that Samsung recommend.

So I'm stuck, as you will be, and I'm going one day at a time including carrying my old Treo with me so I can look up the information that I need.

Good luck out there.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

What I have learned so far:

I googled 'synch android phone with outlook'... got a variety of articles and some products. I would have to look again, but read about a program one can buy which will synch contacts, calendar, notes, and a few others... by USB cable (no cloud). Now I know the cloud is supposed to be the future... however I like my security on a wire and not on the internet.

Delta; Might be some software for your new phone out there... do some googling

On this phone being a business tool: What I like about the Note 2 is the S-pen apps (call it a stylus). Lots of things you can do with the stylus, such as write/draw on a picture and send it to someone. (Still figuring out most of the phone). What I can say for now; I do not like the way Samsung phones do voice-mail... the iphone was nicer.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaT View Post
    I've tested out 3 phones in the past two months. All new, all full of crap I don't want and don't need and won't use. My AT&T bill went up $30.00 too.

I finally settled on a Rugby Samsung Smart Phone which is made to military specs. It's not a phone. It's a pain in the butt for those that just want and need a phone, period.

But it the new way and they control me, I don't control them anymore as a consumer.

I was forced to go from my Treo to a new phone by AT&T cause of the upgrade in service, which I understand. But I have lost most of my contacts, customer lists and info and my calendar and appointments.

And, yes, not trusting this crap, I still kept my original Treo and all the info. I have yet to find a way to easily transfter my contact info from one phone to the other using anytype of software and that includes the one's that Samsung recommend.

So I'm stuck, as you will be, and I'm going one day at a time including carrying my old Treo with me so I can look up the information that I need.

Good luck out there.
    Is the Treo a smartphone?

Does either phone have Bluetooth?

Ok. I am going to confess a different approach that I have. I believe in using the right tool for the job. After being forced to use every Blackberry that came along, I was disappointed by reception and everything else. We are in a very rural area up here and have to travel a lot to do what we do. Cell Phone dead spots are everywhere. I (and a couple of others in our company) decided to go back to our Motorola Quantico flip phones. The reception was unbeatable, they are waterprooof and weather resistant. They aren't affected by cold and hot.

For mobile business use, we chose to use a tablet (iPad in our case). The US Cellular mobile hotspot device serves us nicely in this area and the tablet is easier for old guys like me to see than a smartphone screen. I know that I am in the minority, but it works for us.

I LOVED my Treo. The easiest way to carry all of the contacts and appointments in one shot (for me anyway) was through Outlook. Palm had a sync app that synced all of your contacts, to do, appts etc with Outlook.
    The new phone should have a similar app. that will get all of your info from outlook. If your company uses an Exchange server it will be even simpler.

Of course if you don't have Outlook, I think there is a way to sync it to the google cloud then to the new device.

I currently have an iPhone 4, but I think I'm going Android next time. I have an Android tablet, so I'm already familiar with the OS.

Quote Originally Posted by chaard View Post
    My otterbox is already worn after several months. The screen cover is scratched and there is no replacement. The rubber case is loose. Liquid still gets in around the edge of the screen. But it does the job.
    There's another iPhone case called the Lifeproof case. My sister got one because her toddler threw her phone in the toilet. They're supposed to be waterproof in addition to being shockproof etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Pete838 View Post
    I LOVED my Treo. The easiest way to carry all of the contacts and appointments in one shot (for me anyway) was through Outlook. Palm had a sync app that synced all of your contacts, to do, appts etc with Outlook.
    The new phone should have a similar app. that will get all of your info from outlook. If your company uses an Exchange server it will be even simpler.

Of course if you don't have Outlook, I think there is a way to sync it to the google cloud then to the new device.
    Same here. I actually have three of them cause I knew I'd use them forever. What a joke on me. The sync program and operation was flawless.

Treo's are now a dumb phone in that they are no longer made, I'm told, and they are not 3G or whatever.

The new syn program I'm told to use to switch over all my contacts is a MS Office Outlook, which I used, but the fields are not in the same order nor do they use the same filed names so most of my fields don't show up in my new Samsung smart phone.

As for the calender on my Samsung, it's awful compared to the Treo. And the contacts are harder to use.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast