+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Smart phone

Post Likes

New Smart phone

Well, after looking for over a year... I finally took the plunge:

http://www.samsung.com/us/the-next-b...e-ii/?cid=ppc-

First impression is the phone is BIG... yet it is not really THAT big. And it has that S-pen app built in (call it a stylus).
    For those that follow Samsung phones, it is an S-3 with a larger screen, Jelly-Bean OS (4.2), a stylus app built in, and a HUGE battery.
    My initial impression is the phone is well designed and built. Perhaps a more rugged plastic case would be nice... but any phone used in the field will need an extra protective case.
    It will take a while to transition from IOS (i-phone 3G)... however the Android is quite intuitive, so it will not be difficult.

Now all I need to do is get all my contacts and notes into the phone, along with Email and some program so I can watch H-talk in the field.

GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Have has the s-3 for about 2 months now love it. Had the original galaxy s prior.

Get A case from otterbox.

Post Likes
    Yeah, the i-phone was nice... However it appears Apple is not keeping up. I thought really hard about jumping ship... but after playing with first the S-3, and then the Note-2 (and the i-phone 5)... it was an easy decision.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

*The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)

Post Likes
    Tap-a-talk works great on android.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jdblack View Post
    Tap-a-talk works great on android.
    Yeah, have seen that below posted messages... will have to look into it.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    I'm an iPhone (4) convert to GS3 as well. Have to agree that Apple has lost their spark. iPhone 5 is cool but nothing amazing... GS3's size is perfect for me, Note 2 is big...

Post Likes
    My otterbox is already worn after several months. The screen cover is scratched and there is no replacement. The rubber case is loose. Liquid still gets in around the edge of the screen. But it does the job.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chaard View Post
    My otterbox is already worn after several months. The screen cover is scratched and there is no replacement. The rubber case is loose. Liquid still gets in around the edge of the screen. But it does the job.
    What do you think of the otterbox? Is the defender really that good... or is it mostly assumed?

I am going to bestbuy tomorrow to look at cases... probably Fry's also (Fry's is a HD sized consumer electronics story... a guy's toystore... ).
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Yeah, have seen that below posted messages... will have to look into it.
    For protecting your phone from scratches and drops, it does the job. I drop my phone quite a bit. And my screen protector shows. Problem is it wears out fast in the field.
    Wish they had screen replacements.

Post Likes
    Sounds like you need a shock resistant case. I only dropped my iphone twice over 3 years... however I do like the screen covered.

What I really would like is a flip cover case where the hinge was at the TOP... so I can hold and use the phone with one hand (usually the left). It needs a belt clip that is durable so I can hang the phone on my belt without worrying about it breaking loose.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    Am I the only one around who thinks these phones turn people into 24/7 phone-fiddling zombies??? They are ingenious marketing tools designed to bombard the consumer with endless advertisement for more useless junk you don't need. If you look around at most people these days and they're not doing something that uses both hands, their other hand is clutching their phone, and they are checking it and looking at it every 5 seconds. I see people walking around in a dazed stupor staring down at their android or iphone not paying any attention to where they are going or the people around them. Driving in traffic? FORGET IT. EVERYONE is stroking their their phone! If you go to a concert or show, the crowd is filled with illuminated screens trying to film the event so it can be posted to some website. No one is watching what's going on on-stage, because they're watching it through a little 3" x 4" screen...

Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes

This is what society looks like today, and it's only getting worse as these things become more popular and accessible...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    Am I the only one around who thinks these phones turn people into 24/7 phone-fiddling zombies??? They are ingenious marketing tools designed to bombard the consumer with endless advertisement for more useless junk you don't need. If you look around at most people these days and they're not doing something that uses both hands, their other hand is clutching their phone, and they are checking it and looking at it every 5 seconds. I see people walking around in a dazed stupor staring down at their android or iphone not paying any attention to where they are going or the people around them. Driving in traffic? FORGET IT. EVERYONE is stroking their their phone! If you go to a concert or show, the crowd is filled with illuminated screens trying to film the event so it can be posted to some website. No one is watching what's going on on-stage, because they're watching it through a little 3" x 4" screen...

Coming soon

Post Likes
    That only adds to my suspicion that Google will have a hand in chipping everyone. I.e. mark of the beast.
    Btw, Googles motto is "Don't be evil"

Post Likes
    Google IS SkyNet

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post

Yeah, there are geeks playing with phones... however these 'toys' are also business tools. More on that later.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    however these 'toys' are also business tools. More on that later.
    I very much agree with this statement. The problem with most people can't use them for work purposes, they use them for games, Facebook, twitter, and the likes and will get all of our phones taken away at work.

Rob- there have been hundreds of times I've used mine standing in front of something. No iom book? No manual? No wiring diagram? No problem! Simple google search or a search of this site and you're on your way. Freonrick and I troubleshot a chiller while I was standing there because we were both on at the same time!

Post Likes
    I'm on the evo...but seideo has the best cases.....more durable than an otterbox...

Radioshock will transfer contacts andeverything from one phone to the next for free...

Its an awesome business tool....I use tight vnc and my PC...and android vnc on my evo... I can remote desktop in to my PC in the office from anywhere....

Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk 2
    Testing....Signature on Full Site Forum

Post Likes
    I've tested out 3 phones in the past two months. All new, all full of crap I don't want and don't need and won't use. My AT&T bill went up $30.00 too.

I finally settled on a Rugby Samsung Smart Phone which is made to military specs. It's not a phone. It's a pain in the butt for those that just want and need a phone, period.

But it the new way and they control me, I don't control them anymore as a consumer.

I was forced to go from my Treo to a new phone by AT&T cause of the upgrade in service, which I understand. But I have lost most of my contacts, customer lists and info and my calendar and appointments.

And, yes, not trusting this crap, I still kept my original Treo and all the info. I have yet to find a way to easily transfter my contact info from one phone to the other using anytype of software and that includes the one's that Samsung recommend.

So I'm stuck, as you will be, and I'm going one day at a time including carrying my old Treo with me so I can look up the information that I need.

Good luck out there.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Post Likes
    What I have learned so far:

I googled 'synch android phone with outlook'... got a variety of articles and some products. I would have to look again, but read about a program one can buy which will synch contacts, calendar, notes, and a few others... by USB cable (no cloud). Now I know the cloud is supposed to be the future... however I like my security on a wire and not on the internet.

Delta; Might be some software for your new phone out there... do some googling

On this phone being a business tool: What I like about the Note 2 is the S-pen apps (call it a stylus). Lots of things you can do with the stylus, such as write/draw on a picture and send it to someone. (Still figuring out most of the phone). What I can say for now; I do not like the way Samsung phones do voice-mail... the iphone was nicer.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in