Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Smart phone

New Smart phone

Well, after looking for over a year... I finally took the plunge:

http://www.samsung.com/us/the-next-b...e-ii/?cid=ppc-

First impression is the phone is BIG... yet it is not really THAT big. And it has that S-pen app built in (call it a stylus).
    For those that follow Samsung phones, it is an S-3 with a larger screen, Jelly-Bean OS (4.2), a stylus app built in, and a HUGE battery.
    My initial impression is the phone is well designed and built. Perhaps a more rugged plastic case would be nice... but any phone used in the field will need an extra protective case.
    It will take a while to transition from IOS (i-phone 3G)... however the Android is quite intuitive, so it will not be difficult.

Now all I need to do is get all my contacts and notes into the phone, along with Email and some program so I can watch H-talk in the field.

GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Have has the s-3 for about 2 months now love it. Had the original galaxy s prior.

Get A case from otterbox.

Yeah, the i-phone was nice... However it appears Apple is not keeping up. I thought really hard about jumping ship... but after playing with first the S-3, and then the Note-2 (and the i-phone 5)... it was an easy decision.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Tap-a-talk works great on android.

Quote Originally Posted by jdblack View Post
    Tap-a-talk works great on android.
    Yeah, have seen that below posted messages... will have to look into it.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

I'm an iPhone (4) convert to GS3 as well. Have to agree that Apple has lost their spark. iPhone 5 is cool but nothing amazing... GS3's size is perfect for me, Note 2 is big...

My otterbox is already worn after several months. The screen cover is scratched and there is no replacement. The rubber case is loose. Liquid still gets in around the edge of the screen. But it does the job.

Quote Originally Posted by chaard View Post
    My otterbox is already worn after several months. The screen cover is scratched and there is no replacement. The rubber case is loose. Liquid still gets in around the edge of the screen. But it does the job.
    What do you think of the otterbox? Is the defender really that good... or is it mostly assumed?

I am going to bestbuy tomorrow to look at cases... probably Fry's also (Fry's is a HD sized consumer electronics story... a guy's toystore... ).
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Yeah, have seen that below posted messages... will have to look into it.
    For protecting your phone from scratches and drops, it does the job. I drop my phone quite a bit. And my screen protector shows. Problem is it wears out fast in the field.
    Wish they had screen replacements.

Sounds like you need a shock resistant case. I only dropped my iphone twice over 3 years... however I do like the screen covered.

What I really would like is a flip cover case where the hinge was at the TOP... so I can hold and use the phone with one hand (usually the left). It needs a belt clip that is durable so I can hang the phone on my belt without worrying about it breaking loose.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Am I the only one around who thinks these phones turn people into 24/7 phone-fiddling zombies??? They are ingenious marketing tools designed to bombard the consumer with endless advertisement for more useless junk you don't need. If you look around at most people these days and they're not doing something that uses both hands, their other hand is clutching their phone, and they are checking it and looking at it every 5 seconds. I see people walking around in a dazed stupor staring down at their android or iphone not paying any attention to where they are going or the people around them. Driving in traffic? FORGET IT. EVERYONE is stroking their their phone! If you go to a concert or show, the crowd is filled with illuminated screens trying to film the event so it can be posted to some website. No one is watching what's going on on-stage, because they're watching it through a little 3" x 4" screen...

"There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

This is what society looks like today, and it's only getting worse as these things become more popular and accessible...
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    Am I the only one around who thinks these phones turn people into 24/7 phone-fiddling zombies??? They are ingenious marketing tools designed to bombard the consumer with endless advertisement for more useless junk you don't need. If you look around at most people these days and they're not doing something that uses both hands, their other hand is clutching their phone, and they are checking it and looking at it every 5 seconds. I see people walking around in a dazed stupor staring down at their android or iphone not paying any attention to where they are going or the people around them. Driving in traffic? FORGET IT. EVERYONE is stroking their their phone! If you go to a concert or show, the crowd is filled with illuminated screens trying to film the event so it can be posted to some website. No one is watching what's going on on-stage, because they're watching it through a little 3" x 4" screen...

Coming soon

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast