Air Duct Cleaning Info

Good day I'm new to the forum, but I have been reading a lot of post about duct cleaning. One of the biggest issue we have in our profession is education. First let me start off we are a professional air duct cleaning company. We don't clean carpets, drapes, we are not a HVAC company that adds this service to our customers. We do air ducts, we have cleaned fiber board, flex and hard pipe.

First issue is the equipment used to clean the ducts and the procedure to clean. We have equipment that was built and design to clean air ducts. We have a truck mount vacuum system; our unit is powered by a Wisconsin 65 HP gasoline engine delivering 15,000 CFM. Our two stage air compressor gives us 200 psi + of continuous pressure.

If a guy shows up with a brush on the end of a shop vac, send him away. According to a national standard the system must be placed under vacuum. This system can not make the turns needed to clean the entire system. According to the national standard the entire system must be cleaned, main trunk line also. We cleaned a home a few weeks ago that was cleaned by a national franchise company. We found the access hole in the furnace but there wasn't any in the main trunk. When we cleaned the main trunk we heard a LOT of debris going through our suction hose. To clean a home it should take 3-4 hours.

When we clean flex and fiber board we reduce the psi so not to damage the duct work. (see photos).

In closing when hiring a air duct cleaning company please do your home work and hire a professional air duct cleaning company. The government is slowly recognizing the need for air duct cleaning. I know the EPA can not confirm or deny the benefit of air duct cleaning. But when building a new building if it is a LEED project, the last thing that needs to be completed is the ducts being cleaned, if the diffuser were not tape over. Costumers we have cleaned with allergies have stated they believe the indoor air quality has been improve. Now is this may be a psychological response, but after showing them before and after photos we have cleaned there ducts. When completed we talk about filtration systems and other HVAC improvements like leaking ducts etc.

Hope everyone have a MERRY CHRISTMAS, and a profitable new year.

CHEERS, ART
    Attached Images Attached Images     

I have vacuum envy....I have a 35 hp Wisconsin engine on my rig, amazing how much vacuum I lose...can't imagine an electric powered hepa vac could do anything.

Agreed if you are going to do anything, do it the best you possibly can....I badmouth that shop vac with the spinny thing on it also.

Chase Air thanks we are running the Heat Seal System. Here is a couple of photos of our equipment. Also we just cleaned out our dirt hopper. And the last photo is what we found in the dirt, have no ideal what house we got it from. Now that is vacuum. We suck Patrick right out of their ducts.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I usually disparage duct cleaning because those in our area don't have the proper equipment. From your pictures, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend your work.

Kdean 1 ~ Thank you for the kind words, that is what helping our business to grow. We do work for several HVAC companies, our equipment and professionalism sells our work. Happy Holidays, ART

I used to do duct cleaning. Was trained by Indoor Air Professionals. I have to say, 'that is some nice work there!'

I still hate the duct cleaning process.
    Political Correctness, the language of wussies.