Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    You fixed it! When I check an oil fail, I list Suction, Discharge, Net oil pressure, superheat at compressor, oil level in each compressor, oil level in oil reservoir (if one), oil differential from oil reservoir to oil level controls (if any). Oil separator line is feeding, pick up screen is clean. oil level control screen is clean. Wires are tight, contactor is good Amp draw. no logging in heat reclaim, refrigerant level, what other work has been done lately. A always do something like change the contactor, then I go home and hope and perhaps got lucky. Good luck.

how are the safeties wired?

If 1&2 terminals still see power and the compressor is off on another safety, the heater in the Oil failure will still be on.

Sounds to me like the bearings are worn, main and or rod bearings. The excess clearance between the crankshaft and bearings wont allow oil pressure to stay up.

Coolairman

mccann I did all of the above except changing the contactor. Maybe I got lucky anyway. Side note: why does contactor always come up as a misspelled word on these post?
    Quote Originally Posted by mccann View Post
    You fixed it! When I check an oil fail, I list Suction, Discharge, Net oil pressure, superheat at compressor, oil level in each compressor, oil level in oil reservoir (if one), oil differential from oil reservoir to oil level controls (if any). Oil separator line is feeding, pick up screen is clean. oil level control screen is clean. Wires are tight, contactor is good Amp draw. no logging in heat reclaim, refrigerant level, what other work has been done lately. A always do something like change the contactor, then I go home and hope and perhaps got lucky. Good luck.

Sure looks that way to me also C_A_M.
    Quote Originally Posted by coolairman View Post
    Sounds to me like the bearings are worn, main and or rod bearings. The excess clearance between the crankshaft and bearings wont allow oil pressure to stay up.

Coolairman

If we could spell, we wouldn't have to be doing this for a living. Ha ha.

If it where clearences, I find it difficult to believe that you would have not seen it, after 10mins of run time.
    Last edited by indy2000; 11-29-2012 at 08:51 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by indy2000 View Post
    If it where clearences, I find it difficult to believe that you would have not seen it, after 10mins of run time.
    that is what i thought too.
    It's tube brushing season...93% done (39.35 miles of tubing)...only 1,242 tubes to go!

Original member of the Raccoon Brotherhood.

EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!!!

I don't know why it stopped tripping on oil pressure but I am glad it did. Nothing changed that I can see so it remains a mystery. Indy what do you mean by I should have seen it after 10 mins of run time? All of the safeties (high pressure, low pressure, oil pressure and motor over load protector) are wired in series with the contactor coil.
    Last edited by welling service; 11-30-2012 at 11:18 PM. Reason: add a word

Quote Originally Posted by welling service View Post
    I don't know why it stopped tripping on oil pressure but I am glad it did. Nothing changed that I can see so it remains a mystery. Indy what do you mean by I should have seen it after 10 mins of run time? All of the safeties (high pressure, low pressure, oil pressure and motor over load protector) are wired in series with the contactor coil.
    You should have seen the drop in net oil pressure, with in ten minutes.

I don't believe the oil press suddenly dropped as soon as you left.
    If the compressor goes off on internal overload the oil fail will trip.

When the overload condition automaticcaly resets, the manual reset of the oil fail is needed.

Same for a brown out.

I did see a drop in net oil pressure within 5 mins. from about 50 psi down to 15 psi. You might have something on the internal overload thing. Haven't thought of that but the comp. never runs hotter than normal. I should have checked amp draw but never saw any reason too.
    Quote Originally Posted by indy2000 View Post
    You should have seen the drop in net oil pressure, with in ten minutes.

I don't believe the oil press suddenly dropped as soon as you left.
    If the compressor goes off on internal overload the oil fail will trip.

When the overload condition automaticcaly resets, the manual reset of the oil fail is needed.

Same for a brown out.

was the oil Gage fluttering?

if there is refrigerant boiling out of the oil, you would see lower and possibly flutter in net oil pressure.
    Last edited by indy2000; 12-01-2012 at 05:00 PM. Reason: spelling

If the oil failure control is powered through a current sensing relay, it will not trip on an internal overload/brown out condition.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast