Hybrid View

Wall Furnace installs, and building code

Ok, new here. So I'll also introduce myself. I've been working in Metal Fab for 5 years, and commercial + residential installation for 9 years, and residential service tech for 3 years. It's what I do for a living. Currently I mostly do HVAC-R installs and service, and water heater installs/service as well.

As I'm new here, if this is posted in the inappropriate area please feel free to let me know.

I've been struggling with building code for Wall Furnaces in some cities (Oakland, CA and Richmond, CA in particular). I've started failing inspections in those areas recently for some rather bizarre reasons. One recent failure was because the inspector wanted me to provide him with a ladder and flashlight. I found that rather appalling, to be honest. Bring your own tools and equipment?!

I do not know what my recourse is there.

The other item I get inspection fails for is because they want me to take out my furnace (everything, furnace, header plate and all) to see if there is a ceiling plate spacer installed. They can't look for themselves in the attic? I mean, they expect to do the full inspection upon arrival and visit the jobsite once. And I can't wrap my head on how to do that.

They want the wall furnace to be installed so they can inspect it, and they also want it uninstalled so they can see inside. I'm not sure we have discovered a Schrödinger's Furnace yet to make such a feat possible. Of course, they could resolve this by bringing a ladder and flashlight with them. As I do 5-8 installs a week, I'd have to carry 4 ladders with me and waste time (MONEY!) going back and picking this stuff up.

Maybe there's something obvious I am missing. I need some method to pass a inspection on their first visit where they see an installed furnace and see the plate spacer installed.

Any of you have any experiences or insight to offer?

You're asking for a rough in and final but have concealed the rough in, thats why you're being given a hard time.

You already know what they want to see so just take some good pic's.

Give him a business card when he shows up if he hasn't admired your work previously, narrate all the code issues and show him the pic's before the guy opens his mouth, include some non code talking points about the struggles of the project just to break the ice a bit, then hand him the permit for signature.

I will try taking pics and see if they would accept that. I realize the rough in is concealed, however they are asking me to have the rough in and the installation ready for inspection on the same visit. I do not know how to do so.

We are not present for the inspection because they do not tell us when they will show, just give us a 4 hour time frame. I can't afford to sit around doing nothing for four hours waiting for them. I suppose I may have to take pictures of the process, and drop it off with the customer on the day of the inspection. Hopefully that will work out.

Sometimes you can call the building dept. the mourning of inspection, ask to talk the inspector and get a better time window. They are usually pretty good about it.

New here. don't know how to pm another user.

Kobe, need your expert advise. I need to scale and install a wall furnace, I am in your service area.

Quote Originally Posted by artloversplus View Post
    New here. don't know how to pm another user.

Kobe, need your expert advise. I need to scale and install a wall furnace, I am in your service area.
    Private Messaging is only available to Professional Members.

If the user you wish to contact has an e-mail in their profile, you might want to try that.