Confused Replacement decision - Advice needed

I need to replace my air conditioning. I live in South Fl and have been give quotes for a couple of differnt models, but I do not know how to effectively compare.

Trane 4TTB4042E1000A GAM5AOC42M31SA
    3 1/2 ton 16 SEER

Rheem 14AJM42A01 RHLCHM3821JA
    3 1/2 ton 16 SEER

Any recommendations on one of two of these models or others that I should consider?

There is another firm that only offers Carrier and Rudd that has superior customer ratings on Angie's List and the BBB. I understand that the installation is important, but these seem to be less popular models.

My parent and brother have recently purchase Tranes and love them, but I have been hearing about recent quality issues and delays in getting replacement parts.

Any advice would be appreciated!
    Confused

The Trane has high and low pressure switches to protect the compressor, which you don't get in that particular Rheem. I don't know if you're close to to the coast, but both the indoor and outdoor coils of the Trane units are aluminum which resists corrosion compared to copper. Several manufacturers are beginning to switch to aluminum indoor coils (Carrier included, though not in their air handlers yet) due to the long-known issue of formicary corrosion impacting copper coils. This isn't to say an aluminum coil cannot leak, however. The GAM5 air handler (and all Hyperion air handlers from Trane) uses an electronic expansion valve to meter the refrigerant flow to the indoor coil more efficiently and reliably. The Trane is the better system in my opinion. You may want to consider upgrading to the TAM7 variable speed air handler -- it can be configured to help with humidity control in the summer time, especially when paired with the right thermostat that can "dehumidify on demand" by slowing the indoor blower when the indoor humidity gets too high.
    Last edited by RyanHughes; 11-18-2012 at 09:36 PM.

Rheem and Ruud are the same thing.

IF < 3 miles from Atlantic Ocean, it has to be TRANE.

TRANE for several reasons
    As Ryan stated very well in Post #2.

http://www.trane.com/Residential/Pro...L-Air-Handlers
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Thanks for the information. I am within 3miles of the ocean and not one had mentioned that as an issue. I will definitely inquire about the TAM7 and thermostat for humidity control.

It's definitely not a new concern.
    June 2005 article in the following link ... Clean Monthly.!

http://www.achrnews.com/articles/the...-and-solutions
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

I personally do not like Trane, mainly bc the public seems to think they are so great and all other brands are inferior which is just not true, but if you are close to the ocean you need an all aluminum outdoor coil which Trane has so I would go with Trane over Rheem/Rhudd in your situation.