Health Care : Meaningless Republican scare tactics becomes reality
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 47

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    California/Nevada
    Posts
    3,607

    Health Care : Meaningless Republican scare tactics becomes reality

    a local business near my area has 65 employees and plans to survive by laying off 16 people to stay below the health care bill requirements.

    they don't have a job anymore, but i'm they'll be happy they can't be turned down for pre-existing conditions.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    423
    A friend of mine got laid off, took unemployment for a year while working full time for cash. I really don't know anyone on unemployment who stops it from coming, they just ride it out till it stops.

    I worked for a big company every week they would layoff like 50 guys.
    Guest what they were always hiring, then 25 guy walks in the next week who will do a job for $5-10 less got a job.

    So who are we sorry for?
    The business or the worker? They both adapt. But is the business man really fair?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    7,360
    Quote Originally Posted by keviekev70 View Post
    A friend of mine got laid off, took unemployment for a year while working full time for cash. I really don't know anyone on unemployment who stops it from coming, they just ride it out till it stops.

    I worked for a big company every week they would layoff like 50 guys.
    Guest what they were always hiring, then 25 guy walks in the next week who will do a job for $5-10 less got a job.

    So who are we sorry for?
    The business or the worker? They both adapt. But is the business man really fair?
    Around here all the plants are going to employment agencies to fill in the manual, low skilled labor..... I know of two plants now that actually provide office space for a staffing agent... hire em....keep em 90-120 days doing the slug work......let em go..... I know three guys who actually work full time for a staffing place..... they are good workers but they dont ever seem to be hired permanently by the places they work..... but they still pretty much have a full time without benefits working thru the staffing agency.

    Its what america is becoming.... at least here in the south.
    "Maybe I am a welfares queen"

    Cliven Bundy.... Patriot ???

    He actually said that

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfstrike View Post
    a local business near my area has 65 employees and plans to survive by laying off 16 people to stay below the health care bill requirements.

    they don't have a job anymore, but i'm they'll be happy they can't be turned down for pre-existing conditions.
    If that company truely lays off those workers will they not go to other shops in there area for employment . It seems to me the company laying off will have to down size the operation which would send there work to other shops who will either hire new employes or layed off ones they have on unemployment . Plus a company that size not providing heath care already to their workers ?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Urbandale IA. USA
    Posts
    4,881
    And the WISE LIBERALS said "It won't happen".......
    .
    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,268
    It really separates the men from the boys doesn't it? Just goes to show which companies are true entrepreneurs and which had no inspiration to grow.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kaufman county, Texas
    Posts
    9,929
    Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    It really separates the men from the boys doesn't it? Just goes to show which companies are true entrepreneurs and which had no inspiration to grow.
    A business owner has to look at profit margin. I have one employee and puzzle over that and it has nothing to do with obamacare. Extra employee or employees does not automatically equal more profit. If new employees come with a new cost riding in with them, obviously they are less desirable to have around.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

    "Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

    Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

    I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

    "Ain't nobody got time for that". Corny

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    7,360
    We are a handout nation..... each and every one of us wants a handout in some form or another..... if it isnt cash then it is lower taxes for our bracket and higher taxes on others.... take away from them and give to us.

    And...as this thread has shown....americans also love excuses.......an excuse is so much easier to throw out there than actually putting your head down and working harder to overcome an obstacle.
    "Maybe I am a welfares queen"

    Cliven Bundy.... Patriot ???

    He actually said that

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    We are a handout nation..... each and every one of us wants a handout in some form or another..... if it isnt cash then it is lower taxes for our bracket and higher taxes on others.... take away from them and give to us.

    And...as this thread has shown....americans also love excuses.......an excuse is so much easier to throw out there than actually putting your head down and working harder to overcome an obstacle.
    Thats true .

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post

    A business owner has to look at profit margin. I have one employee and puzzle over that and it has nothing to do with obamacare. Extra employee or employees does not automatically equal more profit. If new employees come with a new cost riding in with them, obviously they are less desirable to have around.
    If extra employees don't bring in money, they should not have been hired to begin with.

    You seem to be blaming the firing of unprofitable employees on the government, when it is really just bad business.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kaufman county, Texas
    Posts
    9,929
    Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    If extra employees don't bring in money, they should not have been hired to begin with.

    You seem to be blaming the firing of unprofitable employees on the government, when it is really just bad business.
    That is actually the gospel truth, sort of. In my case I MUST have the employee due to working conditions and job-site realities. Yet I wonder if I would not be better off just dumping the extra work and employee,... higher profit margins and less work and hassle. I am just using myself as a generic example. Again, Obamacare should not really affect me much personally in a direct way.

    Larger businesses are having to make the same valuations on a much larger scale. Hence we hear stories of lay-offs and full-time employee cuts. Some of it may be hysteria or sour grapes, but the reports are out there and reason for concern.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

    "Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

    Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

    I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

    "Ain't nobody got time for that". Corny

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    If extra employees don't bring in money, they should not have been hired to begin with.

    You seem to be blaming the firing of unprofitable employees on the government, when it is really just bad business.
    They bring in money, but not enough money to cover the increased cost of employing them. Health insurance costs at my company are about $700 per employee, per month.
    Take the restaurant industry, specifically the wait staff. Restaurants run slim margins, and wait staff earn about $3 per hour plus tips. Including WC, taxes, and wages it costs less than $175 per week to employ a waitress full time. Now add health insurance and you've doubled the cost of employing that person.
    The owner is left with a few choices.
    1) He can raise prices. Your $7 hamburger just became $12.50 so you decide to eat somewhere else. He goes out of business and everyone loses their job.
    2) He can trim costs elsewhere. Your fresh ground chuck burger just became a flash frozen patty that came out of a case of 200 and he gives you frozen fries instead of handcut. You hate it and eat somewhere else. He goes out of business and everyone loses their job.
    3) Avoid the expensive new mandate. Cut employee hours. Instead of 40+ hours a week they now get 29. The employees survive with less but they survive. Restaurant stays in business. OR cut the workforce from 60 to 48. Twelve employees lose their jobs but the other 48 get to work full time and maybe some OT.

    You seem to think that every employee creates enough economic activity to pay for a massive new mandated expense that makes said employee a lot more expensive to employ. A lot of work simply does not create enough revenue to significantly increase the cost of employing someone and not create serious consequences.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete838 View Post
    They bring in money, but not enough money to cover the increased cost of employing them. Health insurance costs at my company are about $700 per employee, per month.
    Take the restaurant industry, specifically the wait staff. Restaurants run slim margins, and wait staff earn about $3 per hour plus tips. Including WC, taxes, and wages it costs less than $175 per week to employ a waitress full time. Now add health insurance and you've doubled the cost of employing that person.
    The owner is left with a few choices. 1) He can raise prices. Your $7 hamburger just became $12.50 so you decide to eat somewhere else. He goes out of business and everyone loses their job.
    2) He can trim costs elsewhere. Your fresh ground chuck burger just became a flash frozen patty that came out of a case of 200 and he gives you frozen fries instead of handcut. You hate it and eat somewhere else. He goes out of business and everyone loses their job.
    3) Avoid the expensive new mandate. Cut employee hours. Instead of 40+ hours a week they now get 29. The employees survive with less but they survive. Restaurant stays in business. OR cut the workforce from 60 to 48. Twelve employees lose their jobs but the other 48 get to work full time and maybe some OT.

    You seem to think that every employee creates enough economic activity to pay for a massive new mandated expense that makes said employee a lot more expensive to employ. A lot of work simply does not create enough revenue to significantly increase the cost of employing someone and not create serious consequences.
    Wow i did not know that there were states that allowed tips to be counted towards the minimum wage and thus employers were alloyed to pay a minimum minimum wage . In california this is not allowed . A employer has to pay minimum wage and tips are seperate.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event