Thread: How not to replace fuses

Post Likes

How not to replace fuses

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bad fuse job.jpg 
Views:	3181 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	328051
    A friend sent me this pic of some fuses.Note the fuse block to the left. That was installed to correct the mess. Note the fuses to the lower right. The fuses were 25A. Voltage was 575V. Motor was rated 12A FLA with a 15% safety factor. No overload protection. The fuses were installed this way a few years before being corrected. Wild...
    "...refresh my memory. When did I start caring about this stuff...?"

Post Likes
    Holy God man I feel uneasy just looking at it through my computer screen. Scary stuff. Why do I get the feeling that whoever installed it wasn't certified?

Post Likes
    That's jacked up, haven't seen that yet!!!!

Post Likes
    Sad thing is...he's certified... He knew better.

Post Likes
    Looks like some sort of machine, and was probably fixed by the plant maintnance man when the boss said "I don't care what it takes that machine has to be running right NOW"
    Yeah I did maintenance at a factory for a few years to, and sometimes you have to rig something to get it running, but you still order the correct parts and don't leave it that way for very long.

Post Likes
    Wow this is a new one. I'm surprised they didn't go for the copper fuses and put them in the block....

Post Likes
    That proper fuse block on the left better have not been thier when this mess was wired up. That is just WRONG and lazy no pride.

If he had to leave his picture and signature behind bet he would take pride. You run into someone at the supply house "why does he look so familiar " oh he is the ******* that wired up that unit lol

Post Likes
    Why does it look like the center terminals on the transformer terminal block burnt off, and somebody took the leads coming out of the transformer and butt-connectered a wire to it.

This is kind of scary, I think that is why our company pushes lockout/tagout and have your protective gloves on before you take a panel off.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMech View Post
    That proper fuse block on the left better have not been thier when this mess was wired up. That is just WRONG and lazy no pride.

If he had to leave his picture and signature behind bet he would take pride. You run into someone at the supply house "why does he look so familiar " oh he is the ******* that wired up that unit lol
    According to my friend this was a union contractor. What ever happened to "Doin' it right the first time?" He tells me the fuse block was installed within the last month and those fuses had been there about 3 or 4 years. Same tech has been there for 10 years or more. Thats the scary part. Someone who gets all the proper training but ignores it once in the field...

Post Likes
    wow

Post Likes
    there is nothing sadder than sincere ignorance.

Post Likes
    YIKES!!!

Post Likes
    Work like that is being done by the bastards that are taking good techs jobs by claiming expertise while working for peanuts....and people are buying it ....

Shame shame shame ....

Some one should throw his toolbag in the river....

Post Likes
    looks wonderfull....nice job'''''''
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by muffinman651 View Post
    wow
    x10

Post Likes
    POP!!! BUZZZZZ!!! LIGHTS OUT!!! You're dead!!!
    Psalm 51:10, 12

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in