Repacement gas furnace advice needed

I have a 25 yr old 2892 sq ft brick 2 story in Cincinnati, OH. The original (basement) Trane 100,000 BTU XL-90 is on its last legs. The AC was all replaced a couple years ago. On very cold/windy days the current furnace has never been able to keep the house at 70 degrees. The previous owner finished the basement - I don't think the furnace/duct-work was designed for the additional load(?) Basement is always cold in the summer, hot in the winter. Also the upstairs bedroom in the opposite corner from the furnace never gets enough airflow.

-Should I have a newer Trane installed, so that it works with the 'newer' AC and fits into existing space and ductwork?

-Should I go with a larger (120,000+/- BTU) furnace?

-Local HVAC company is pushing Amana as a replacement, good choice?

-A little reading on the internet shows Maytag (made by NORDYNE) has a 12 yr warranty as compared to 10 yr on Trane and Amana, is Maytag a good choice?
    (Maytag MGC2TC120D45D 120,000 BTU 95.1% Gas Furnace, 2 Stage)

-Can the existing working Aprilaire be reused, or does it need to be replaced?

-What is reasonable cost to have old furnace pulled out and a new furnace installed?

Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

May just be duct work issues that it can't maintain temp. A load calc would tell you what size you really need.

Prices aren't discussed here.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I've never seen a properly functioning gas furnace that wasn't able to hold setpoint. I'm will to bet that the ductwork is bad resulting in not actually getting the 100,000 BTU into the house. Uneven room temperatures are a classic symptom of poor ductwork..

Quote Originally Posted by Dave003 View Post
    I have a 25 yr old 2892 sq ft brick 2 story in Cincinnati, OH. The original (basement) Trane 100,000 BTU XL-90 is on its last legs. The AC was all replaced a couple years ago. On very cold/windy days the current furnace has never been able to keep the house at 70 degrees. The previous owner finished the basement - I don't think the furnace/duct-work was designed for the additional load(?) Basement is always cold in the summer, hot in the winter. Also the upstairs bedroom in the opposite corner from the furnace never gets enough airflow.

-Should I have a newer Trane installed, so that it works with the 'newer' AC and fits into existing space and ductwork?

-Should I go with a larger (120,000+/- BTU) furnace?

-Local HVAC company is pushing Amana as a replacement, good choice?

-A little reading on the internet shows Maytag (made by NORDYNE) has a 12 yr warranty as compared to 10 yr on Trane and Amana, is Maytag a good choice?
    (Maytag MGC2TC120D45D 120,000 BTU 95.1% Gas Furnace, 2 Stage)

-Can the existing working Aprilaire be reused, or does it need to be replaced?

-What is reasonable cost to have old furnace pulled out and a new furnace installed?

Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Although the maytag has a 12 year warranty, that may only be a parts warranty.

Keep in mind that the amana has 10 year parts, labor (if you purchase the labor warranty, which i would highly suggest), and a lifetime warranty on the heat exchanger.

Your Aprilaire MAY be usable, depending on it's condition. It may have to be removed for installation of the new furnace.
    It's one of those things where it's been fine for years, but once you touch it, it starts to fall apart.

I'm sorry, but we can't go into pricing here.

I would suggest calling Jacob Brothers Heating and Air conditioning. 513-533-3600.

There is no requirement to have "matching" equitment manufacturers.
    We install our equitment under other brand air conditioners on a daily basis. No problems.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    A load calc would tell you what size you really need.
    Had a Load Calc done, 108,000 BTU. Current system is 100,000
    looking at Rheem, they offer a 105,000 and a 120,000.
    I'm thinking the larger Mod furnace would work at a lower output level and rarely/never hit max BTU-any issues? Or would a two stage work OK?

Rheem 95.6% AFUE 120,000 BTU Upflow Two-Stage Variable Speed Modulating Gas Furnace RGFG12ERCMS

Rheen 95% AFUE 105,000 BTU Upflow Two-Stage Variable Speed Modulating Gas Furnace RGFG10EZCMS

Rheem 105,000 BTU Gas Furnace, 95% Efficient, Two-Stage Burner, Up-flow, Direct Drive, Variable Speed ECM Blower
    RGRM10EZAJS

On those nights your current furnace can't maintain temp. Is the burner on constant, or is it cycling the burner, but the fan keeps running. Often times its the duct work that is the problem.

Over sizing a mod isn't the best thing to do. Specially if you have a duct size problem.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

If you can't keep a 2,800sqft house warm with 100,000BTU furnace some serious insulating/ductwork repair needs to be done. Throwing bigger equipment at the leaky house is NOT the right answer, unless you like paying $500/mo to keep warm.

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    If you can't keep a 2,800sqft house warm with 100,000BTU furnace some serious insulating/ductwork repair needs to be done. Throwing bigger equipment at the leaky house is NOT the right answer, unless you like paying $500/mo to keep warm.
    I should have mentioned this house is on an exposed hill, w/lots of glass and large bay windows. The problem is when it is cold AND windy (7 days +/- a yr) Wind seems to be the problem, most times no problems holding set point. Monthly average gas+electric is $350
    Also high (10') ceilings on ground floor, 18' in family room

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    On those nights your current furnace can't maintain temp. Is the burner on constant, or is it cycling the burner, but the fan keeps running. Often times its the duct work that is the problem.
    The burner runs continously

The RGFG is a fantastic furnace. You would want the 412 or the communicating control or you are wasting the potential comfort this furnace offers and that you are paying for.

I'm still not convinced that size is the issue. That house just isn't that big to need that much heat. Someone really needs to study everything involved to see just what it is. If the duct system is undersized, going 20% bigger will be worse if the furnace overheats and shuts down. The RGFG will flash an error if the duct system is undersized and the blower is straining to move the needed air. Variable speed modules tend not to like to be at that limit.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    The RGFG is a fantastic furnace. You would want the 412 or the communicating control or you are wasting the potential comfort this furnace offers and that you are paying for.

I'm still not convinced that size is the issue. That house just isn't that big to need that much heat. Someone really needs to study everything involved to see just what it is. If the duct system is undersized, going 20% bigger will be worse if the furnace overheats and shuts down. The RGFG will flash an error if the duct system is undersized and the blower is straining to move the needed air. Variable speed modules tend not to like to be at that limit.
    Adding insult to injury a lot of older furnaces cycle on the limit and the homeowner has no idea. Since most furnaces are way oversized the house stays warm. As long as warm air blows out and the HO isn't cold, they are none the wiser...

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    That house just isn't that big to need that much heat.
    Sq ft does not include full finished basement, could that impact?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave003 View Post
    I should have mentioned this house is on an exposed hill, w/lots of glass and large bay windows. The problem is when it is cold AND windy (7 days +/- a yr) Wind seems to be the problem, most times no problems holding set point. Monthly average gas+electric is $350
    Also high (10') ceilings on ground floor, 18' in family room
    Keep in mind as furnace size increases you start having more problems with uneven room temperatures. I'd stick with the 100K and wrap up for 7 days a year. Better yet find out where the cold air is blowing into the house and fix the leak.