Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 47
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    California/Nevada
    Posts
    3,594

    Health Care : Meaningless Republican scare tactics becomes reality

    a local business near my area has 65 employees and plans to survive by laying off 16 people to stay below the health care bill requirements.

    they don't have a job anymore, but i'm they'll be happy they can't be turned down for pre-existing conditions.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    422
    A friend of mine got laid off, took unemployment for a year while working full time for cash. I really don't know anyone on unemployment who stops it from coming, they just ride it out till it stops.

    I worked for a big company every week they would layoff like 50 guys.
    Guest what they were always hiring, then 25 guy walks in the next week who will do a job for $5-10 less got a job.

    So who are we sorry for?
    The business or the worker? They both adapt. But is the business man really fair?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    6,711
    Quote Originally Posted by keviekev70 View Post
    A friend of mine got laid off, took unemployment for a year while working full time for cash. I really don't know anyone on unemployment who stops it from coming, they just ride it out till it stops.

    I worked for a big company every week they would layoff like 50 guys.
    Guest what they were always hiring, then 25 guy walks in the next week who will do a job for $5-10 less got a job.

    So who are we sorry for?
    The business or the worker? They both adapt. But is the business man really fair?
    Around here all the plants are going to employment agencies to fill in the manual, low skilled labor..... I know of two plants now that actually provide office space for a staffing agent... hire em....keep em 90-120 days doing the slug work......let em go..... I know three guys who actually work full time for a staffing place..... they are good workers but they dont ever seem to be hired permanently by the places they work..... but they still pretty much have a full time without benefits working thru the staffing agency.

    Its what america is becoming.... at least here in the south.
    "I believe this is a sovereign state of Nevada, I abide by all of Nevada state laws. But I don't recognize the United States government as even existing."

    Cliven Bundy.... Patriot ???

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    404
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfstrike View Post
    a local business near my area has 65 employees and plans to survive by laying off 16 people to stay below the health care bill requirements.

    they don't have a job anymore, but i'm they'll be happy they can't be turned down for pre-existing conditions.
    If that company truely lays off those workers will they not go to other shops in there area for employment . It seems to me the company laying off will have to down size the operation which would send there work to other shops who will either hire new employes or layed off ones they have on unemployment . Plus a company that size not providing heath care already to their workers ?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Urbandale IA. USA
    Posts
    4,809
    And the WISE LIBERALS said "It won't happen".......
    .
    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,268
    It really separates the men from the boys doesn't it? Just goes to show which companies are true entrepreneurs and which had no inspiration to grow.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    6,711
    We are a handout nation..... each and every one of us wants a handout in some form or another..... if it isnt cash then it is lower taxes for our bracket and higher taxes on others.... take away from them and give to us.

    And...as this thread has shown....americans also love excuses.......an excuse is so much easier to throw out there than actually putting your head down and working harder to overcome an obstacle.
    "I believe this is a sovereign state of Nevada, I abide by all of Nevada state laws. But I don't recognize the United States government as even existing."

    Cliven Bundy.... Patriot ???

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    404
    Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    We are a handout nation..... each and every one of us wants a handout in some form or another..... if it isnt cash then it is lower taxes for our bracket and higher taxes on others.... take away from them and give to us.

    And...as this thread has shown....americans also love excuses.......an excuse is so much easier to throw out there than actually putting your head down and working harder to overcome an obstacle.
    Thats true .

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kaufman county, Texas
    Posts
    9,674
    Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    It really separates the men from the boys doesn't it? Just goes to show which companies are true entrepreneurs and which had no inspiration to grow.
    A business owner has to look at profit margin. I have one employee and puzzle over that and it has nothing to do with obamacare. Extra employee or employees does not automatically equal more profit. If new employees come with a new cost riding in with them, obviously they are less desirable to have around.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

    "Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

    Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

    I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

    "Ain't nobody got time for that". Corny

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post

    A business owner has to look at profit margin. I have one employee and puzzle over that and it has nothing to do with obamacare. Extra employee or employees does not automatically equal more profit. If new employees come with a new cost riding in with them, obviously they are less desirable to have around.
    If extra employees don't bring in money, they should not have been hired to begin with.

    You seem to be blaming the firing of unprofitable employees on the government, when it is really just bad business.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    California/Nevada
    Posts
    3,594
    "I really don't know anyone on unemployment who stops it from coming, they just ride it out till it stops."

    los angeles has a solution for that, if you're on unemployment for longer than about 3 months, you're not getting hired.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kaufman county, Texas
    Posts
    9,674
    Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    If extra employees don't bring in money, they should not have been hired to begin with.

    You seem to be blaming the firing of unprofitable employees on the government, when it is really just bad business.
    That is actually the gospel truth, sort of. In my case I MUST have the employee due to working conditions and job-site realities. Yet I wonder if I would not be better off just dumping the extra work and employee,... higher profit margins and less work and hassle. I am just using myself as a generic example. Again, Obamacare should not really affect me much personally in a direct way.

    Larger businesses are having to make the same valuations on a much larger scale. Hence we hear stories of lay-offs and full-time employee cuts. Some of it may be hysteria or sour grapes, but the reports are out there and reason for concern.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

    "Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

    Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

    I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

    "Ain't nobody got time for that". Corny

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL.
    Posts
    4,313
    If co's can make it work w/fewer than 50 employees then they will, even if it means those fewer employees are going to have to work harder and longer hours. It'll be more cost effective to pay overtime than to pay the thousands in fines or health insurance.

    Larger co's that won't be able to get it done w/fewer than 50 employees will simply increase the number of part-timers so that they can lower the full-timers on the payroll.

    Simple as that Astudent
    WHY?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event