My RUUD motor in the attic is using 3 or 3,5 amps at the low speed when my installer gauged it last winter. He installed a Fanhandler adjustable speed devise on it. I was going to switch out the motor for a Baldor motor but he had a hard time doing it because of the way RUUD was assembled, so we scrapped the idea.

I asked already if it was at all possible and the reply, to be short, was yes but it had to be done a certain way.

My question is, if I DO replace the motor to a Baldor HE motor, would I be able to get the elctric usage down a lot? I run the unit 24/7 as long as possible. I do not run it during the summer though.

My furnace is 100k btu with a 2.5 ton AC in NJ.

Even at 3.5 amps, it seems expensive to run that motor. I'm hoping to get a better one with the Baldor and save some money monthly as well. My electric rate is App. .15 kwh

cissado

Running yur blower for 20 hrs a day @ 3.5 amps @ 120v for 31 days cost you APPR. $38.00/month during the winter @ .15/kwh.
    Summer run for 8 hrs per day @ 3.5 amps @ 120v for 31 days cost you appr. $16.00/ month.
    If you lowered the current by 1.5 amps, all the time, you would save appr. $16.00/month in winter or 6.70/mo in summer.
    Since I don't think that you would run the motor at a rate of 2 amps for the full time per month ( the motor should increase speed & amps at various times ), yur savings would be less.
    Even considering full savings & winter = 8 months & summer = 4 months:
    yur total yearly savings would be less than: $ 150.00/yr.
    How much would it cost to do, and how long is the payback??? ( I believe the actually savings would be less than $100.00/yr )

Richard

you will probably have to use a different mount for the baldor. if the same HP, it will more than likely be close in amp draw.

OK Thanks for the info. It may pay back in time with the figures bornriding gave. I just figured it to be a bit much in utilities with two units that I will be running. The second one is smaller though. The Fanhandler website recommened that motor and I was just going by their recommendation. They gave a very low number for it's total energy usage but of course they didn't figure the .15 that I pay. Still looked cheaper though.

Just fyi, I would be running it 24/hours a day in winter. You still compared it correctly though. Thanks again.

Wow, for air filtering, I could get a cleaning lady to dust my house for that much. lol jk I really do like the air being circulated around the whole house to give me more even heat throughout. I've really enjoyed the fan controller so far.

I also see that a variable spped system will definately be in my sights in case I need a new unit. I've just read "40 watts usage on low speed" wow. What a difference. Next time around, I guess.

Thank you

Originally posted by cissado
    ......I also see that a variable speed system will definately be in my sights in case I need a new unit. I've just read "40 watts usage on low speed" wow. What a difference. Next time around, I guess.

Thank you
    I don't believe the 40 watt claim. Anyone ever measure the running amps on a VS blower?

Yes, that does seem low. I was just repeating what I've read in a thread here today. I'm sure it's still much lower than what I'm getting now. I do plan on running both units 24/7 as I like the effect of air circulation and the filtering wouldn't hurt either.

Originally posted by cissado
    My RUUD motor in the attic is using 3 or 3,5 amps at the low speed when my installer gauged it last winter. He installed a Fanhandler adjustable speed devise on it.

My furnace is 100k btu with a 2.5 ton AC in NJ.

Even at 3.5 amps, it seems expensive to run that motor.

electric rate is App. .15 kwh
    Run fan 10 minutes out of 30.

http://www.aircycler.com/productline.htm
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Just checked mine (Rheem mod 90, 90k). Now rember this is the bigger drive but on a real world duct system.

With just the fan on at 121.3v the unit pulls 1.09 A. Thats 132 watts. Now that includes the control system as I didnt read just the motor.

With the furnace in low fire (40%). the unit is pulling 1.30 Amps (157 watts). That is the entire furnace including blower, inducer, and control system

Come to think of it, I dont remember if I had the UV lights on or off. they may have been on. I have one bulb installed

I guess no matter how you shake it out, its pulling about the same as two light bulbs. I think my electric is 7.1 or 7.4 c per kw.

Wow doc. That's a nice incentive to go for a variable speed he for my next system. i made a thread about it that may have some issues with it though due to my ducts. Still, HE and variable speed is the way to go IMO. It's a nobrainer for me at least. Good to know these things. We have to experience some thigns personally, to truly understand them and learn from them.

Reading (here)and living it has taught me this much so far. Thanks.

Now to be fair, I didnt check the amps at cooling speed. Mine is set up as a dual fuel with a low balance point so I dont run the gas much if at all. I'll try to do that if I think of it next time I'm home.