Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rigid drills and impact?

Hey guys I started a new job and it seems Ill be doing a fair share of install work. I have done some install work before but never had to have the tools as I was more of a service guy helping an installer. I have the tools but never really invested alot of money into anything big like cordless tools. I have bought cordless 12v lithium ion craftsman drill and impact gun for service and home use which is fine and even does good with the installs screwing round pipe together and what not. The place I work for is using the 18v lithium rigid stuff. I was thinking it wouldnt be a bad idea to get what the other guys carried to be able to share and what not. I had heard also that rigid has an awsome warranty on there equipment.

Anyway Im looking to get into some cordless stuff is rigid a good way to go or is there something better out there that will outlast there stuff?

I use their stuff.
    I have the 18 volt drill, impact and one handed saw. It is good stuff and the warranty is great,(LOVE the one handed saw/Hackzall for small spaces and quick cuts) but I have to say, I like my brother's Makita stuff better. His drivers perform as well with the standard battery pack (2ish Amp) as mine do with the higher capacity 3A pack.

I know there are a lot of Milwaukee fans on here, I haven't used their cordless stuff in a long time, so I can't speak to that.

I would say read some reviews like this one http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/indus...icleID=1858896
    And also consider future expansion on the set. Makita has some really slick stuff out there like cordless vac for messy clean and checks etc. A decent work light and some other cool things.

I was looking at the makita. My father use to have some of the old makitas and im sure if I still had the charger and the battery they would still work. Im just not sure about the warranty of the makita against the ridgid stuff

I'm sure others will chime in here soon with their experiences.
    If you do go with Ridgid, be sure to get the ones with the X4 packs. (This applies more specifically if you are buying off ebay) I have a couple of the X3 packs and a couple X4...While I have not had any trouble with my X3 packs (knock on wood) I have read about a lot of ppl who have, and from what I read, Ridgid did not stand behind the warranty when they died prematurely. Don't get me wrong, I like the stuff, it is durable and price is good and all that,
    but that couple hundred extra rpm really seems to be a huge help when you are in a super awkward spot and trying to shoot a screw in quick before you loose your grip.

Thanks for the info ill look into the x4 and some of the other stuff

i heard but never check into it yet. ridgid 18 volt has life time warranty including the battery. if true on battery cant beat that. then again sometimes dealing with warranty can be pain.....

I use all Milwaukee stuff, v28, m18, and m12. have never had a issue. my v28 set is around 4 years old, and I still have the original batteries. I have i would estimate 500-800 recharges on the v28 set. The m18 I like even more but haven't had for as long. I used to use DeWalt stuff but the batteries and triggers always went out on me. that was back before the x2 and xrp stuff. So they are probably better now.
    I've never owned a rigid, but a guy I work with doing installs bought a set when they had the lifetime warranty on batteries. he bought that set a year or so after I bought my v28 set and he has had problems with the batteries dying quickly, the drill not holding up, and problem with the chuck. he no longer uses any rigid and now is a Milwaukee fan. I know everyone has different experiences but mine has been a positive one for Milwaukee.
    I have also heard good things about Mikita tools, but have no personal experience with them.

I was looking at the milwaukee m18 or m12 for service. I had heard ridgid had the warranty but never heard of anyone going through the warranty yet. Ive been looking for a good deal on something like a mikita milwaukee or ridgid, Saw one these weekend but wanted to see what everyone had to say

I love my Milwaukee. I bought the set with the 1/2 chuck hammer drill and the 1/4 inch impact for like 220 dollars. If you buy just the impact or just the drill they are that much. Definitely look for package deals. I'm contemplating buying the m12 impact for my service bag though. I just downsized from a huge husky bag to a Veto tech lc and I'm trying to cut down on the weight. It does not make a ton on sense to have an 18v impact in my bag if I'm only doing cleanings and service. 12v woul be fine for sheet metal screws and removing panels and I know I have two 18v impact in the truck when I need brute force.

Love all my Milwaukee power tools though, the 12 amp sawzall, the corded shear and my circular saw all work excellent.

I've had dewalt and rigid stuff and wasn't impressed, my boss makes fun because he has all Mikita, but all his stuff is already falling apart after 1 year and the tools were twice the money.

Also; having the same brand as everyone else makes it easy for things to be swapped! Write your name on the connection side of all your batteries!

i have an older 18volt ridgid set and the batteries were horrible.

i have the makita 18 volt driver and impact which is sweet. 15 minute charges too.

Well thats what I was thinking. Everyone is using ridgid so it would make sense to pick it up. But looking at it Millwalkee is cheaper IMHO then to go with mikita, Not by much but Ive always liked milwalkees stuff.

The old rigid batteries where crap. I used the battery warranty. I dropped them off at a place in KC. The replacements where sitting on my front stoop 2 days latter. But, I heard at Home Depot that the replacement batteries did not have the lifetime warranty.

Nobody laugh, but most of the installers uses Ryobi. They say they are cheap enough to replace if lost or broken. I have a small 12 volt Rigid drill and 12 volt Milwaukee screw gun. I like the Milwaukee better.

My son is an electrician. His Dewalt stuff is wearing out and he wants to replace them with Milwaukee.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast