Just had a 5 ton Infinity 16 heat pump installed with zoning. We have had very mild weather (highs in the low 80's) lately here in Orlando and the system has yet to jump into high cooling stage, so I am always running low cooling stage which is 3 tons, 1050 CFM or less. I find that I have to turn the thermostats really low to get comfortable (74 deg in certain zones). Also there are very cold drafts drafts and the floor is really cold, I am assuming this is due to the fact that the air flow velocities are at 50% of design and register throw is significantly reduced. Is this a common problem of 2 stage, variable speed setups? It seems like the cold air is not mixing very well.

The best mixing seems to occur in the areas of the house with 12 foot ceilings. It is very comfortable in that zone with a thermostat setting of 77 deg. The rest of the house has 10 foot ceilings.

[Edited by eberrong on 11-06-2006 at 12:56 PM]

It is common with 2-stage equipment because so many contractors don't understand the importance of proper register selection and location.

Where are your supply registers located?
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

They are all on the ceiling. Most all of the supply registers are located so they throw toward an exterior wall. They are mostly close to the wall opposite of the exterior wall.

They are Air Guide Manufacturing (CBHML) registers with adjustable curved blades. The contrator left the blades adjusted mostly open so they throw down about 45 degrees to the ceiling.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    I'd set the curved blades to keep the airflow closer to the ceiling,which will get it farter out into the room.

45 down,if I understand correctly,it would be blowing on you ,if you are in the path ,too low ,IMHO.

Originally posted by dash
    I'd set the curved blades to keep the airflow closer to the ceiling,which will get it farter out into the room.

45 down,if I understand correctly,it would be blowing on you ,if you are in the path ,too low ,IMHO.
    Thanks I'll try that. And, yes, they were blowing right on our heads most of the time.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    FYi,with supplies in the ceiling,we have not had a complaint ,such as yours ,that I'm aware of.

I can see why air flow of that angle would cause what you are getting,hope that's all it is.

I talked to my contractor today and he said that the registers should NOT have been adjusted that way and that they should be adjusted closer to the ceiling, about 30 degrees to the ceiling. He is going to come back and check things out as soon as we get a warm day.

He also told me that conditions were not favorable for system tuning the day they finished my install and that they need to come back and fine tune the system. I assume he means check the Puron charge?