+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mobile Home Furnace question.

Post Likes

Mobile Home Furnace question.

I've tried to locate parts for an old Magic Chef furnace to convert it to LP gas. After looking the unit over I figured it's better to replace it.
    I live in California (The state of entitlement), is it absolutely necessary to install a furnace that is rated for a Mobile home? I've heard a few
    differing stories, some say yes and some say no, so I need some clarification.

Post Likes
    Mobile homes have different requirements from residential furnaces, venting being chief among them. You should absolutely get a furnace and roof jack for a mobile home. Check at your supply house.

Post Likes
    I quoted the job using a Coleman furnace, I don't think they liked the price but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    When I'm done, your mustache will be frozen!

Post Likes
    I did one for a friend of mine's father. They are pricey as compared to a conventional furnace. It's better than burning the place down though. It's all venting and combustion air.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Post Likes
    Intertherm makes them as well, and if memory serves, they're cheaper than Coleman units.

Clearance to combustibles and being secure after installation are also important.
    Most trailer furnaces are "alcove" style so they can't tip over, which would probably be an advantage when California breaks off the continent and heads for Japan.

Post Likes
    My understanding is it's a different process all together for the manufacturer to get a unit certified for mobile home use and it's not a cheap process. If it's not rated/certified for mobile home use it shouldn't be installed or you are holding 100% of the bag when it comes to liability.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    Thermopride 90% unit is the way to go.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in