Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kls-ccc View Post
    My 2 cents; The further we've gotten away from God, the further we've gotten away from values, morals, and integrity, and the more self centered we've become.

The idea of we are all created equal has had the emphisis changed from being on the "created" to the being "equal". The fact is that when this country was founded we were all created equal and what we did after that was our decision. While we still have some choice of what we do we are largely limitied by what our government allows, which is sad.

Programs that are said to give a hand to those down troden are more a path to slavery than a helping hand. These programs are designed that oncel you get on it is very hard to get off.

At some point we reach a tipping point of no return, it may have already past, I don't know, sometimes it feels like that.
    It wasent until lincoln that we were truely equal on paper . As far as being equal in reality that is still coming .

Its pure human nature. I dont think it has much to do with religion. People will be people. I dont care how far you go back, people will always strive to have more. Sure years ago people had less but that didn't stop them from wanting more.

To quote the Boss:
    "Poor man want to be rich, rich man want to be king, king ain't satisfied 'til he rules everything."

The Boss

He may be one of the finest American poets of our time along with Dylan.

Strictly poetry not anything to do with their politics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwSZvHqf9qM

I have questions for you all,
    It would seem that you all think yesterday (or some time in the past) is better than today, and that the country is going down the drain.
    At what point in time are you comparing against?
    What made it better?
    And was better for all?

It would seem that you all think yesterday (or some time in the past) is better than today, and that the country is going down the drain.
    just going back to the early 70's alone showed conditions twice as good as today

Quote Originally Posted by wolfstrike View Post
    just going back to the early 70's alone showed conditions twice as good as today
    Thanks for your answer,
    So you lived twice as long?
    Your house was twice the size?
    Was there harmony among all people in the states?
    Was crime half as much?
    Or is that you were just young, carefree and bulletproof, and lived your life on a daily basis, and have fond memories.

I think the 80s was a better time, but i was in my prime. Late teens and early twenties. I often wonder if this what we see as the best of times.

Quote Originally Posted by barbar View Post

I think the 80s was a better time, but i was in my prime. Late teens and early twenties. I often wonder if this what we see as the best of times.

And that's the way is was...back then. We were happier, with less responsibility. Today's marketing , "You need to be this. You need to have that" being pounded in the kids heads nowadays. I had a conversation with my 23yo stepdaughter a couple days ago. She has worked since she was 16 and is enrolled in college. She made a statement that had me floored. "My life would be much easier if I got knocked up and had a kid on my own." My reply to her was I'd kill her. Is she telling the truth? She'd have her own section 8 house, food for her and the baby, diapers and formula, money for daycare, health insurance, education, cell phone and internet and whatever other stipends she can get. If benefits like these were offered in the job classifieds would anyone not kill for that job?
    EDIT: By the time I was her age I was already married and separated with a son and had already owned a house. I never went to college and worked since the age of 13. Her answer to that was things were different back then.

I think life was easier for myself growing up in the 70's 80's than kids of today. BUT, Now is the best time of my life and I only hope it gets better.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Quote Originally Posted by barbar View Post
    I have questions for you all,
    What made it better?
    And was better for all?
    What made it better I think was that the federal government did not try to control everything. In the late 1960's I was in Jr. high school and then in the early 70's I was in high school. When I got my first car in 1974 or so, it was a 1964 Olds F85 that had a 330 cubic inch engine in it. It would flat out run. There were no 15 or 20 hoses and devices for anti pollution control. Cars were easier to work on then. You didn't have to put your seat belt on when you got in your car--even if you wanted to open it

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by exreo View Post
    What made it better I think was that the federal government did not try to control everything. In the late 1960's I was in Jr. high school and then in the early 70's I was in high school. When I got my first car in 1974 or so, it was a 1964 Olds F85 that had a 330 cubic inch engine in it. It would flat out run. There were no 15 or 20 hoses and devices for anti pollution control. Cars were easier to work on then. You didn't have to put your seat belt on when you got in your car--even if you wanted to open it up on the interstate and do 115MPH. You didn't have to have liability insurance to drive back then. In fact you didn't need to spend one red cent on insurance if the car was paid for. Imagine that, a 16 year old just getting his license in 1974 and no money needed for insurance. No red light cameras at every intersection like you have now.
    I am not bagging on you, just wanted to comment... So your OK with thousands of kids getting killed by irresponsible vehicle owner/operators?

Your OK with air that you can almost touch because it is so polluted?

Your OK with leaded fuel poisoning the very water you drink?

Your OK with a car getting 10 MPG?

No offense, but none of this argument makes any damn sense. I have a 350 HP diesel 4X4 truck that gets 23+MPG, still can go over 100 MPH, seats four super comfortably and is not killing us. As for working on it, yeah....no thank you...

When we were kids we would ride our bikes miles from home. We never had any trouble. Our music was better in the 1970s--I mean secular music was much better than the stuff these young people listen to today. Even Christian music was much better in the 70s and 80s.
    I am so with you here.... I miss that more than setting off fireworks on the beaches...

It didn't require 2 incomes to support a family. My dad worked and my mom stayed home and took care of the house and cooked. We as kids had it made with this arrangement.
    My mom and dad always worked, but boy we had some fun on the weekends.... I was born with nothing and will probably die with a little less...

U.S. manufacturing peaked in 1979 which meant you could get a job anywhere and support a family even if you had no college education.
    This really has little to do with more or less government, it has to do with the American public wanting more for less.... Irresponsible companies made this a necessity. If the government didn't step in and do something we would be literally eating, drinking and breathing manufacturing by products... You really need to travel to China... Did you know that they actually shut down hundreds of power plants and manufacturing facilities during the Olympics?

This is very old, but still as profound than when it was written.. http://www.businessweek.com/stories/...s-for-industry

So I ask of you. What would you have done differently? I don't agree with a lot that was done, but somebody had to start somewhere...

Just in my area (Silicon Valley) We had Fairchild http://yosemite.epa.gov/r9/sfund/r9s...2!OpenDocument

Olin http://www.epa.gov/region9/toxic/per...te/per_ca.html

Lorenze Barrel http://cfpub.epa.gov/supercpad/cursi...cfm?id=0901287

Keep in mind, these are within 20 miles of each other......

If people weren't so damn stupid and greedy, all would be hunky dory. Stupid is as stupid does.

Abortion became the law of the land in 1974. As America became more immoral, the people gradually began to lose their freedoms. Now, the federal government wants to control everything. I heard somebody talking on TV today that the EPA was mad about the gas fracking folks in TX and other states just doing their own thing and it not being under control of the federal government. You can bet the EPA will make some kind of rules to control gas wells in the different states. Obama is adding rules and regulations by the hundreds every week.
    Are you doing anything about either?

Next, America will lose her finances and she is in the process of doing that. It is starting to snowball downhill.
    Yep, but we have been down this road before...

exreo sophomore in high school 1973

Don't do that again please...
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by GT Jets View Post
    I am not bagging on you, just wanted to comment... So your OK with thousands of kids getting killed by irresponsible vehicle owner/operators?

Your OK with air that you can almost touch because it is so polluted?

Your OK with leaded fuel poisoning the very water you drink?

Your OK with a car getting 10 MPG?

No offense, but none of this argument makes any damn sense. I have a 350 HP diesel 4X4 truck that gets 23+MPG, still can go over 100 MPH, seats four super comfortably and is not killing us. As for working on it, yeah....no thank you...

I am so with you here.... I miss that more than setting off fireworks on the beaches...

My mom and dad always worked, but boy we had some fun on the weekends.... I was born with nothing and will probably die with a little less...

This really has little to do with more or less government, it has to do with the American public wanting more for less.... Irresponsible companies made this a necessity. If the government didn't step in and do something we would be literally eating, drinking and breathing manufacturing by products... You really need to travel to China... Did you know that they actually shut down hundreds of power plants and manufacturing facilities during the Olympics?

This is very old, but still as profound than when it was written.. http://www.businessweek.com/stories/...s-for-industry

So I ask of you. What would you have done differently? I don't agree with a lot that was done, but somebody had to start somewhere...

Just in my area (Silicon Valley) We had Fairchild http://yosemite.epa.gov/r9/sfund/r9s...2!OpenDocument

Olin http://www.epa.gov/region9/toxic/per...te/per_ca.html

Lorenze Barrel http://cfpub.epa.gov/supercpad/cursi...cfm?id=0901287

Keep in mind, these are within 20 miles of each other......

If people weren't so damn stupid and greedy, all would be hunky dory. Stupid is as stupid does.

Are you doing anything about either?

Yep, but we have been down this road before...

Don't do that again please...
    So, summing up, you went to Cal-Berkeley and you're an environmental nut?

That is a pretty part of the country you live there. When I was on a ship at the Oakland Army Base I drove down to Palo Alto to go to some software store to buy a word processing program for the captain called AmiPro. This was in 1992. Darn, I wish I could remember the name of that store.

I think the EPA is now a monster out of control. We need to protect our water in our rivers and lakes, but the EPA has gone way overboard on protecting the air and other things like wildlife wetlands and lot of other crap that isn't necessary.

So, summing up, you went to Cal-Berkeley and you're an environmental nut?

That is a pretty part of the country you live there. When I was on a ship at the Oakland Army Base I drove down to Palo Alto to go to some software store to buy a word processing program for the captain called AmiPro. This was in 1992. Darn, I wish I could remember the name of that store.

I think the EPA is now a monster out of control. We need to protect our water in our rivers and lakes, but the EPA has gone way overboard on protecting the air and other things like wildlife wetlands and lot of other crap that isn't necessary.
    I totally agree, this is the problem with having to have a governing body to step in and take something over, they don't jamb their foot in the door, they jamb 30 or 40 people....

Never went to Berkeley, not an environmental nut, but have spent most of my childhood watching as people continue to have little to no regard as to the health of the planet we inhabit. Sad really.

Going back to the old ways wont solve squat...

Was the store a Fry's?

Quote Originally Posted by GT Jets View Post
    I totally agree, this is the problem with having to have a governing body to step in and take something over, they don't jamb their foot in the door, they jamb 30 or 40 people....

Never went to Berkeley, not an environmental nut, but have spent most of my childhood watching as people continue to have little to no regard as to the health of the planet we inhabit. Sad really.

Going back to the old ways wont solve squat...

Was the store a Fry's?
    No, it wasn't a Fry's. I think Fry's was Incredible Universe back in 1992. But, I was in a posh area of town and the store was also very nice. But software stores back then would come and go so fast. I'll bet it isn't even there anymore.

But just looking around from my driver's point of view, I thought the area was very scenic and very nice.

No, it wasn't a Fry's. I think Fry's was Incredible Universe back in 1992. But, I was in a posh area of town and the store was also very nice. But software stores back then would come and go so fast. I'll bet it isn't even there anymore.

But just looking around from my driver's point of view, I thought the area was very scenic and very nice.
    Had to be an Egghead Software then..

I have driven across the US from Georgia one time, and I must say, it was very nice to be home....... I live in one of the most incredible pieces of dirt in the western US.

I can be in the snow in about two hours and on the beach in about 45 minutes, I live less than a mile from a lake.

GT

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast