New homeowner furnace, and contractor issues.

We just bought a house, has about a 15 year old gas furnace. We called a guy who is the husband of my wifes co worker to come out and give us some options for getting heat to the third floor of our 1910 bungalow. He came out, and immediatly inspected the furnace, and told us our heat exchanger was cracked, and that the furnace would need replaced. He showed me the cracks, but they are in the faceplate. We called out a second guy who used a bbq lighter , and jumped the fan to test for air blowing back through the cracks, and he said the furnace was fine. I watched a few videos, and did some reading, and decided to call the gas company, they came out and tested for CO2 and said we were fine. So now 2 days later the furnace stops working, the exhaust blower comes on, but there is no ignition. I am highly suspicious at this point. Is there a way for someone to sabotage my furnace, pressure switch, gas limiter valve, that would make it stop working after a few days? Could this just be coincidence?

Twilly says CO....not CO2. Buy new furnace and get variable speed blower and get company to run ducts to third floor or get supplemental heat.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Why would I buy a new furnace if the one that is here can be repaired?

The last guy out seems to get the blame for anything going wrong. I've seen a lot of different things break and they were all working a little earlier. It's disconcerting to have a component fail just days after you tested it. Still, there isn't any way to prevent or predict the failure of some parts.

I suspect the current failure is relatively minor in nature.
    I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.
    ― Benjamin Franklin

I am a computer bench tech, so I hear what you're saying Allan I have had motherboards fail on my workbench, and that sucks to try and explain. Glad to hear you think it's a minor repair.

Sure - any decent tech could sabotage your furnace.
    Can't imagine why they would though.
    15 years with cracks in the faceplate tells me the unit has been having issues for a long time.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

anyone, including a gas company, who says that a furnace with a compromised heat exchanger is OK to operate deserves to be yelled at. vociferously. it doesnt matter if there's no CO detected or not.

can they sabotage? sure, it should show up immediately. Can they sabotage to show up a few days to a week later? highly doubtful. you have a coincidence. quit trying to get something for nothing.

in this case, your first guy was the most reliable because he was able to prove to you, with verifiable evidence, that you have a true problem.
    ~~
    Nest is poo...

Twilly is glad this HO doesn't have access to the sabatoge forums.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    anyone, including a gas company, who says that a furnace with a compromised heat exchanger is OK to operate deserves to be yelled at. vociferously. it doesnt matter if there's no CO detected or not.

can they sabotage? sure, it should show up immediately. Can they sabotage to show up a few days to a week later? highly doubtful. you have a coincidence. quit trying to get something for nothing.

in this case, your first guy was the most reliable because he was able to prove to you, with verifiable evidence, that you have a true problem.
    ditto. Especially a tech that physically shows a customer a crack.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1393122213672.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  127.4 KB

- Sent via ESP
    ~~
    Nest is poo...

I have had a few customers blame the last guy for rigging it.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hurst View Post
    We just bought a house, has about a 15 year old gas furnace. We called a guy who is the husband of my wifes co worker to come out and give us some options for getting heat to the third floor of our 1910 bungalow. He came out, and immediatly inspected the furnace, and told us our heat exchanger was cracked, and that the furnace would need replaced. He showed me the cracks, but they are in the faceplate. We called out a second guy who used a bbq lighter , and jumped the fan to test for air blowing back through the cracks, and he said the furnace was fine. I watched a few videos, and did some reading, and decided to call the gas company, they came out and tested for CO2 and said we were fine. So now 2 days later the furnace stops working, the exhaust blower comes on, but there is no ignition. I am highly suspicious at this point. Is there a way for someone to sabotage my furnace, pressure switch, gas limiter valve, that would make it stop working after a few days? Could this just be coincidence?
    These kind of guys just piss me off anymore man. Why would anyone waste there time sabotaging your pos furnace I mean really. If you don't trust him go somewhere else don't make stuff up. I think it's called paranoia, maybe breathing to much CO.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.