Post Likes

Wall Heater Emergency Shut Off

Hi all,

Our gas wall heater shuts off seconds after coming on, and we use the small red reset button to get it going again. It takes 4-5 times, but it eventually gets going. Of course, it is tough to wake up and do this in the dark each night. We generally access this button 15 times throughout the evening/early morning. The problem seems to worsen the colder it gets.

Here is where it gets weird. The service technician has now come out seven times throughout the winter and cannot/will not fix it. He is under a warranty obligation with the property manager to fix it, but hasn't done what it takes to solve the problem. Once he even just bent the vents open and wrote "RESET BUTTON -->" on the heater with a sharpie so we could access the button more easily. I suspect that what needs to be done is a large expense on the technician's part (due to his warranty contract), and he is avoiding the expense. Now he is becoming extremely rude during his repair visits.

We have two small children, and I not only want them to stay warm, I am afraid of Carbon Monoxide poisoning as a result of this problem.

What do you think is the problem? What the heck should I do??

Post Likes
    The reset button is a safety device designed to prevent overheating. I'm assuming it's electric heat. I have seen dust accumulation, damaged fan, worn fan bearings, or even the wrong grill cause this. Is there anything in close proximity to the wall heater that could be limiting air flow? I would take this up with your management company. This is not normal. I would tell them that you are not going to reset it again, as the reset is a safety feature designed to inform you that there is a problem. That is why it is a manual reset.
    "Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort. The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" --- John Ruskin

3. Likes jpastor, kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Saturated Suter View Post
    I'm assuming it's electric heat.
    Thank you. I just edited the post - it is a gas wall heater.

Post Likes
    Call code enforcement. This could be a very dangerous situation.
    Is this vented to the outside? could something block the vent? Snow?

6. Likes jpastor liked this post.
    Post Likes
    This is vented through the ceiling, but we don't have snow in our part of the country. Could the vent be too short or narrow?

Thanks!!

Post Likes
    Gas! I would discuss this with your property manager immediately. Follow up with something in writing via email, ie; summarize your conversation and what they told you would be done, timeline, etc. If nothing is done to abate the situation. I would call code enforcement.
    "Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort. The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" --- John Ruskin

9. Likes jpastor liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Why do you call this an "emergency" shut off? It is no such thing. It is a SAFETY shut off. Reset at your peril.