Time to replace furnace, heat exchanger or do nothing ?

During an annual furnace tune up, the technician observed the CO reading was 75. He told me that it was still below the 100 mark so there's no cause for alarm. But the higher CO reading is caused by an aging heat exchanger that rusts over time. The unit, a Carrier 58MVP080-14 propane furnace, is 13 years old. The heat exchanger is not cracked. The unit has and still performs well. Aside from annual tune ups and routine filter changes, the unit has never given me any trouble. The tech however recommended that they send out a "comfort analyst" to evaluate the home and replacement should be considered. Replacement of the heat exchanger was discouraged due to the age of the unit.

I'm pretty sure I could replace the heat exchanger myself but I'm wondering if I should. Should I do anything? Or should I consider replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by gmalandr View Post
    During an annual furnace tune up, the technician observed the CO reading was 75. He told me that it was still below the 100 mark so there's no cause for alarm. But the higher CO reading is caused by an aging heat exchanger that rusts over time. The unit, a Carrier 58MVP080-14 propane furnace, is 13 years old. The heat exchanger is not cracked. The unit has and still performs well. Aside from annual tune ups and routine filter changes, the unit has never given me any trouble. The tech however recommended that they send out a "comfort analyst" to evaluate the home and replacement should be considered. Replacement of the heat exchanger was discouraged due to the age of the unit.

I'm pretty sure I could replace the heat exchanger myself but I'm wondering if I should. Should I do anything? Or should I consider replacement?
    get another contractor asap! and a reputable one. you shouldn't be getting co because the hx has rust. rust doesn't produce co or leak co. it's coming from somewhere. generally we change the entire furnace, at 13 years a new hx isn't worth the money. now's the time to upgrade. many, many options.

Quote Originally Posted by gmalandr View Post

You should not attempt to replace a heat exchanger yourself, nor will you be able to obtain one through conventional means.

9 years in the industry, I'm not exactly confident replacing them.

That model doesn't "crack" in a normal sense. It rusts out in the secondary.
    That secondary is a POS. We just ran across a 3 year old payne that rust'd out.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Leave it alone for now and start saving for a new furnace, could be several years before needing replaced. Make sure to get the annual service done in the fall so when the bad news comes you have time to get bids and do some home work instead of a panic buy in the coldest portion of winter.

Cleaning the burners and adjusting the setup will probably reduce the CO. Call a reputable company.

CO in LP could be as simple as rusty burners and low gas pressure.

I'd get a second opinion. Besides, what's your warranty paperwork say about the heat exchanger? It's not hard to replace and the unit is only slightly beyond 1/2 of its predicted lifespan.
    ~~
    Nest is poo...