23XL Carrier Screw Chiller

23XL Carrier Screw Chiller

We have a 225 ton 23XL chiller that has been showing a high zinc content in the oil samples since 2004. The oil and filters are changed every year and we pull an oil sample every year.The chiller was installed in 1995 and other than routine maintenance items works fine. I can't get a straight answer from our service provider on where the zinc is coming from. I am trying to determine if it is time to budget for a compressor rebuild or change out.

Any thoughts?

Vibration is a better indicator for replacement, for the 23 XL compressors. Oil has its place as well, but I would not change the compressor just because.

Zinc is an anti-wear additive used in some oils. There's nothing intrinsic to the machine that would cause high zinc levels that I'm aware of.

Define "high levels of zinc"...

Have you sent in a virgin sample of the oil being used?

Zinc by itself is considered beneficial in most cases. The synthetic oils will typically have a fairly high zinc content.

They may not have the correct spec or the machine may not have the same oil in it that is named on the nameplate....

It is typically worth it to have the new oil analyzed at the same time as the machines oil to establish a true baseline, only then will you know for sure.

As said above, a full vibration analysis is recommended and annual (at minimum) trending will give you a better idea of what is truly going on.

Look for silver, chromium, and iron in that badboy...

Good hunting.
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

If you have the old PSIO controls on that chiller you might not want to put any money into it. The replacement modules for the PSIO controllers are no longer avialable and an upgrade to the new PIC controls will cost up to thirty tousand dollars.

hey GT!
    how is the new 49ers stadium coming??????
    something like 1.6 billion dollars?
    DANG!!!!!!!!!
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    hey GT!
    how is the new 49ers stadium coming??????
    something like 1.6 billion dollars?
    DANG!!!!!!!!!

Was just there Friday, took a drive by picture or two...

Starting to really look like something.
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.