Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Knowledge and ability vs wage

Heya ALL!!
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    I have or am wondering why on gods green earth 2 of my wonderful neighbors and a boss of mine make the wage they do?
    My 2 neighbors work from home, make 60k + I think the one makes 75k+ plus bonus, one works in the hunting industry and the other plastics.
    Yah pretty nuts, I had to get a degree,state licensing, and state certifications to make the 43k I make, I agree that I need cheese with my wine but dang man! I just as in general see people view trades people as second class up to the sitution when they need us at 2 am to fix there broken crap! And they give us a super hard time when we give them the bill, WTF!!!! That is what I think drives us all nuts, trying to squeeze cider from a turnip! Just ranting
    I had a guy who had a newer utica 80% boiler in his basement, if you could picture his house, nice house, you had to go through the heated garage past two 72-76 restored chevy trucks and a couple of newer arctic cat sleds to a door that led you to the basement which stored or was completely full of r/c trucks,boats,and planes, I will never forget it. The home owner was over on his work bench working on a boat or something, this guy had a full set of snap on tools downstairs and upstairs! The 500 lb a-hole barely says hello to me, more like hurry up and get the boiler going, I found the draft damper was not making the switch and needed replacement, I think the bill totaled 250 for parts,trip,and labor. I walk over to him and hand him the bill, He drops everything, says wow really, did it have to be this much? I dont know if I could do it? He is nearly in tears over the bill, saying this would break him, would absolutly crumble his world, he may have to sell his home! I called my boss and he knocks 15 bucks off, which came off my parts commission, he says ok go see his wife upstairs-she'll pay you, I go upstairs away from DB and go into this room full of Lionel crap I mean full of Lionel crap to a beautiful dinning room probably worth more than my own house!She hands me 3 100 dollar bills and says to send her a check for the balance! WTF!!!! she walks me out to the van and makes the comment of how her husband bought a newer mini van two days ago just to transport his R/C planes! That changed me right then and there!

People will always find a way to spend, spend, spend when it comes to recreation and sinful pleasures. We in the Service Industry need to hustle, hustle, hustle if we want work and need to outshine the competition.
    Look at it this way. The guy selling tomatoes is screaming because he only gets 80 cents a a pound while the guy selling caviar is getting $250 an ounce.
    Your other neighbor who works at Walmart probably thinks you have the world by the tail.
    If you can't fix it with JB Weld, Duct Tape, and Ty Wire it has to be replaced.
    No good deed goes unpunished.
    If you want to take off friday to go fishing then make sure you train your helper right.

And thats why the 500lb man has money , he beats everyone down with his sad eyes , then turns around and laughs all the way to the bank

Thats one thing pissed me off I read about Donald Trump. He will agree to have you come fix something for xxxx amount of dollars , and when work is completed he will try and find something wrong to jew you down !!

Maybe you ought to carry a few real estate agent cards with you, the next time that happens whip out a card and hand it to them.
    I have my own little world. But it's OK...they know me here.

If it's a regular customer, keep that in mind the next time
    A shop I used to work at had a fast food franchise owner who had 18 restaurants. Refused to pay the bill for work done on both her houses because in her mind she was giving us enough business with the stores. Believe me, she paid.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

To the OP......

You thinking about it all wrong.

You are selling your time. Allow me to explain. Lets use the mighty dollar as an example.

You make $1.00 an hour (just a nice easy round number, take no offense ) If you work 12 hour days 6 days a week and work 50 weeks, your annual salary will be $3600. You are taxed based on the annual salary you make. If someone is paid a commission or his pay is performance based (like a real estate agent, car salesman, internet marketer, etc...) and that person makes $1.00 per transaction and gets a bonus at the end of the year for outstanding performance, he/she only needs to make 3600 deals/transactions a year to blow you out of the water. They will be taxed differently than you because they may be able to "hide" more money than you because they can buy more home(s) and show more write offs.

Out of the 21 guys I directly work with, at least half of them have a side gig or a hobby that helps pay the bills. One does ornamental architectural sheet metal, one flips homes, one is a custom car parts fabricator, one sells tools and so on. It's not about an hourly wage, it's about what you can make with your time.

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Gt

Dont forget bar owner!!!

Op, I totally get where your coming from. I see that same type of scenario every day and think to myself, "what am I doing wrong!"
    I'm not jealous of these people, but I do think given the knowledge and ability we have as HVAC techs we should be better off. Not to mention all the wear and tear on our bodies.

You know what they say, Life isn't fair.

Quote Originally Posted by durussel78 View Post
    Heya ALL!!
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    I have or am wondering why on gods green earth 2 of my wonderful neighbors and a boss of mine make the wage they do?
    My 2 neighbors work from home, make 60k + I think the one makes 75k+ plus bonus, one works in the hunting industry and the other plastics.
    Yah pretty nuts, I had to get a degree,state licensing, and state certifications to make the 43k I make, I agree that I need cheese with my wine but dang man! I just as in general see people view trades people as second class up to the sitution when they need us at 2 am to fix there broken crap! And they give us a super hard time when we give them the bill, WTF!!!! That is what I think drives us all nuts, trying to squeeze cider from a turnip! Just ranting
    I had a guy who had a newer utica 80% boiler in his basement, if you could picture his house, nice house, you had to go through the heated garage past two 72-76 restored chevy trucks and a couple of newer arctic cat sleds to a door that led you to the basement which stored or was completely full of r/c trucks,boats,and planes, I will never forget it. The home owner was over on his work bench working on a boat or something, this guy had a full set of snap on tools downstairs and upstairs! The 500 lb a-hole barely says hello to me, more like hurry up and get the boiler going, I found the draft damper was not making the switch and needed replacement, I think the bill totaled 250 for parts,trip,and labor. I walk over to him and hand him the bill, He drops everything, says wow really, did it have to be this much? I dont know if I could do it? He is nearly in tears over the bill, saying this would break him, would absolutly crumble his world, he may have to sell his home! I called my boss and he knocks 15 bucks off, which came off my parts commission, he says ok go see his wife upstairs-she'll pay you, I go upstairs away from DB and go into this room full of Lionel crap I mean full of Lionel crap to a beautiful dinning room probably worth more than my own house!She hands me 3 100 dollar bills and says to send her a check for the balance! WTF!!!! she walks me out to the van and makes the comment of how her husband bought a newer mini van two days ago just to transport his R/C planes! That changed me right then and there!
    Don't let appearances fool you, I learned my first year in the trade that often times the guy with brand new cars, parked in his brand new garage, attached to his brand new house, where he has the biggest t.v, etc, is up to his eyes in debt because he spends every ounce of his money on stuff. This person has no money left out of what he takes in so even one $250 service throws off his world.

Then you get the little old lady who's husband worked at the tire plant for 60 years, he's dead now so she gets is his social security and his retirement package, they paid their plain small house off 30 years ago, there's an '84 cadillac sitting in the driveway and the interior of the house hasn't changed since the day the bought it, she's got $500,000 sitting in the bank.

There are certainly exceptions but a lot of people 40 and under have everything they're bringing in tied up in bills and toys.

Quote Originally Posted by mason View Post
    Don't let appearances fool you, I learned my first year in the trade that often times the guy with brand new cars, parked in his brand new garage, attached to his brand new house, where he has the biggest t.v, etc, is up to his eyes in debt because he spends every ounce of his money on stuff. This person has no money left out of what he takes in so even one $250 service throws off his world.

Then you get the little old lady who's husband worked at the tire plant for 60 years, he's dead now so she gets is his social security and his retirement package, they paid their plain small house off 30 years ago, there's an '84 cadillac sitting in the driveway and the interior of the house hasn't changed since the day the bought it, she's got $500,000 sitting in the bank.

There are certainly exceptions but a lot of people 40 and under have everything they're bringing in tied up in bills and toys.
    Take my brother for example , he is a Car Service Writer , making maybe 40 a year.

New house , always has new cars , new gadgets in cars , newest phone , all kinds of toys. He and the wife FIGHT all of the time over the pile of credit cards they owe , and find ways to bundle them up to another card with lower interest and hope they didnt overspend and can make the mortgage ..... Me , Im a simple man with 15 year old cars and no fancy gadgets , but I can tell you this , how was paid off long ago

Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    Gt

Dont forget bar owner!!!
    Oh I didn't "forget" the bar owner...

I just didn't mention them because most of their business is cash and they're taxed on what they claim..... just sayin.

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but i do not know what the heck you are talking about!
    and we dont have any poker machines!!!!!!!!!!!
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

Bar's are payment upfront on spec minimum 2 hrs then we will configure a price based on whats needed. Runs away the rip offs cause they have to pony yp a 2 hrs minimum just to get a green light to go to the call.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast