+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blowing transformer in air handler

Post Likes
    Get some fuses and get your post count up
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jledford382 View Post
    Is it blowing on the primary or secondary side?
    Blowing the primary.

Post Likes
    use a resettable in line fuse until you find the issue and make sure you check anything and everything related to the low volt system, sounds like a bare 24 v wire that is rubbing on metal or another bare wire next to it that goes common..Ive found many outside in the condenser cabinet especially on heat pumps where the wires have been tied to copper pipes eventually rubbing through.. keep looking and you should find it , id say look at running new aire from stat to AH as its happening in heat and cool or its in the Tstat itself..

Post Likes
    You have a direct short. Ohm out all wires and isolate.

Post Likes
    Yep sounds like a direct short as already stated. I had the same problem a few months back. I put a Lil' Popper in and blew probably 12 fuses before I found it. It was an older house with terrible wiring. When I finally found the problem, someone had spliced wires about 15 feet from the panel and just taped it up with electrical tape. I assume they didn't have enough wire to finish the run, but that didn't make me any less upset. The house could've very easily burnt to the ground.

Post Likes
    I had this issue, in ny a rat chewed on the tstat wire and shorted every time. Just need to ohm wires.

Post Likes
    Thanks everyone for the suggestion. Ohmed out all the wires and couldn't find a short. Going to run new wire to the thermostat. Had tried a new thermostat, thought that may have been the problem, but it didn't solve it.

Post Likes
    I like in situations like this to start wiggling wires while the power is off. Especially where it penetrates thru walls and the unit cabinet.

Post Likes
    did you disconnect the t stat wires and check for shorts? I'd ohm out some the components you haven't changed i.e coils

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtBone View Post
    did you disconnect the t stat wires and check for shorts? I'd ohm out some the components you haven't changed i.e coils
    Very last thing I checked was the t-wire. Isolated it from the system. Nothing. Replaced thermostat. changed the control box with one rebuilt with all new components (I work in a apartment community so I have the spares ready to swap-out). Got to be the wire. It's the only thing that hasn't been changed. I have another apartment's air handler doing the same thing. Fortunately, it's vacant and I suspect whatever is causing this issue is going to be the same problem.

Post Likes
    Hope your not using doorbell transformers.

Post Likes
    Think this out. Older systems do not usually have a "common" wire run to the stat. Short the wires, what do you have?

CU wire short, blows only on cool call.

Did poster say primary is blown, check 208/230 volt tap is correct. Is "common" conductor in stat cable run?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jledford382 View Post
    Is it blowing on the primary or secondary side?
    Transformers ALWAYS blow the primary. The wires are fine and more turns. The secondary has fewer turns of thick wire and never blows.

Post Likes
    Had one where the tstat wire was ran across a roof w/o conduit. The sun dryrotted the insulation and it shorted when it rained.

Post Likes
    It is possible that "R" is grounding to a water pipe, but transformer winding has to be connected to ground on "C" side.

Post Likes
    Ohm out all your coils inside and out, if one has low resistance that may be it. Low resistance through a coil is basically a short since there is little to no load

Post Likes
    Is this a heat pump? I have had contactor 24 v coils in the heat pump or condenser do this. They are just beginning to go to ground and are very erratic. Some of them would run for a while before blowing the fuse.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by welling service View Post
    Is this a heat pump? I have had contactor 24 v coils in the heat pump or condenser do this. They are just beginning to go to ground and are very erratic. Some of them would run for a while before blowing the fuse.
    Turns out that this was the problem, along with a lot of other spaghetti wiring that the previous maintenance tech had done. Had the thermostat wired for a heat pump. Had to call out the original contractors to come out and look at it. Thanks every one for your help. I am new to the game and learning. BTW, it turns out the the blower motor was wired to run 240v for both cooling and heating, he fixed that as well. You guys rock. Have a blessed thanksgiving...

Post Likes
    miscand the blower uses 240VAC in both modes. The difference is motor speeds. It is lower in heating mode.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in