+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SMAN4 is HERE!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by energy star View Post
    Yes, but you must be on site to move the switch and/or change the heads. (I think)
    Using a smart phone these can all be captured and viewed simultaneously. I don't think the h3 will do that.
    You would have to have someone on site to attach the measuring devices anyhow!?!

"When coupled with the new ET2W Wireless Transmitter (included with every HG3), the HG3 system turns every Fieldpiece Accessory Head into a wireless device, capable of sending measurements from up to 100 feet away. So you can take up to 13 measurements (12 wirelessly and one directly on the HG3) all at once to give you an live snapshot of the entire system."

The HG3 not only captures all the information and allows you to view all of it it can attach to a computer and print it all out. It even will give you a diagnostic telling you most likely suspects of problems.

Name:  InputForm-SH-Std-01.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  69.3 KB Name:  ScreenPrintOut.V2.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  29.3 KB Name:  HG3 manual picture.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  70.7 KB

What you people are looking for isn't a tool, you want a control system with an internet connection. You are asking for thousands of dollars worth of permanent product that can be used via the internet to check on it.

With a HG3 kit you can have your employees drop off the HG3 with all the information inside of it and print it off. Your other choice is a quality assurance engineer to go behind your employees and check their work.

You don't have to change the heads the heads are connected to a wireless adapter.

HG3
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Post Likes
    No it's not a control system. But it is a system to call up from a remote location to analyze the captured data in real. The HG3 is nice (I have the HG2 only because the 3 was not out) And someone would be on-site to hook all this up, but he would leave the site and I COULD CALL UP THE CELL PHONE look at the app and retrieve the data. This system exists all ready, but I don't think it's made for a smart phone for small applications.
    Always here

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by energy star View Post
    No it's not a control system. But it is a system to call up from a remote location to analyze the captured data in real. The HG3 is nice (I have the HG2 only because the 3 was not out) And someone would be on-site to hook all this up, but he would leave the site and I COULD CALL UP THE CELL PHONE look at the app and retrieve the data. This system exists all ready, but I don't think it's made for a smart phone for small applications.

enery star my buddy we call that a controls system with trend data. lol

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by XcelTech View Post
    enery star my buddy we call that a controls system with trend data. lol

Why can't this same technology be applied to a trend-logging instrument?

We're not asking for it to control anything, only to LOG data.

I think that the technology is here to do this, it only needs someone to put it together in the right way and to MARKET it properly.

Post Likes
    I knew you had all the answers.
    Always here

Post Likes
    I think it would be so expensive as to not be as useful as just installing a control system. To have a piece of permanent equipment on site with internet capability. You would have to have memory to pull up a data log. Which means you also have to have a way to keep date and time. Not to mention all the parts and wiring required to take 2 pressure, LLT, SLT, OAT, room temp, DB, WB, and compressor amperage. You could just put in a control system by adding a few relays.

Post Likes
    I think it would be so expensive as to not be as useful as just installing a control system. To have a piece of permanent equipment on site with internet capability. You would have to have memory to pull up a data log. Which means you also have to have a way to keep date and time. Not to mention all the parts and wiring required to take 2 pressure, LLT, SLT, OAT, room temp, DB, WB, and compressor amperage. You could just put in a control system by adding a few relays.
    How long are we looking to log data?

A day, a week, a year?

I need my tool back!

I'm looking for something that I can hook up on a Monday and let it cook for a day or so, logging the data. Remote access isn't a HUGE thing for me, but it'd be cool.

Heck, many places have WiFi. FREE WiFi

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Why can't this same technology be applied to a trend-logging instrument?

We're not asking for it to control anything, only to LOG data.

I think that the technology is here to do this, it only needs someone to put it together in the right way and to MARKET it properly.

You nailed my point right on the head. Are you really gonna waste the time to send a tech back to a site second day to pick up a tool?

The HG3 will work for day to day observance of your techs work, but to leave something on site and take the time to analyze all that information for each site you might as well have a QA guy. Otherwise you would need a cheap cheap piece of equipment that can stay or a long term pm program with that customer.

Post Likes
    Lets say someone created a gizmo that would collect all that information, it used batteries and a 3gig SD card to collect the information.

How many customers a day do you have? Lets say 4 techs doing 7-9 customers a day. That would mean a minimum of 18 of these gizmos. How much would you pay for them? If they cost 200 per tool that would be 3,200. How many do you think are gonna get lost, broken, stolen in a year? If you are growing how many do you need to buy this year? How much are you gonna pay the guy to read and log this much information?

Lastly, what will doing this accomplish for you to increase the companies income?

Lets say you can use this information to talk your customer into doing what? Replace a part? Replace the entire system? You would have to show this gizmo has increased the sales of the company above what it would be able to do without it.

Can it help you improve your technicians skills? Can it show you a technician that is doing a bad job? Sure, again how much are you gonna pay to check all this information and log it. Can't you just increase your technicians skills by doing in house training, giving bonus or pay raises for proof of tech training, or offering to pay a % of training cost? Are you gonna be able to use this information to fire a technician for poor work?

The best scenario I can see is having a few of these to help with chronic problem sites or sites with multiple customer complaints.

Don't get me wrong it sounds really cool and something fun to have just not very efficient.

Post Likes
    You nailed my point right on the head. Are you really gonna waste the time to send a tech back to a site second day to pick up a tool?

The HG3 will work for day to day observance of your techs work, but to leave something on site and take the time to analyze all that information for each site you might as well have a QA guy. Otherwise you would need a cheap cheap piece of equipment that can stay or a long term pm program with that customer.
    Maybe we look at the world through different lenses.

A QA guy, what we call a startup guy, is essential to getting a piece of equipment running properly.

I'm envisioning this as a troubleshooting tool. Something to pin down those problems that take call after call after call after call to resolve. Something that can be left in place for a short time to catch an intermittent problem.

As to "wasting time" sending a tech back. They'll have to repair the problem, won't they?

I've actually built something to do this. I took an old rack controller, built it up on a box and put an input board inside it.

Now, I can wire in temp sensors, pressure transducers and the like, hook them up to a system that is misbehaving, plug this thing in and walk away.

Post Likes

A QA guy, what we call a startup guy, is essential to getting a piece of equipment running properly.

I'm envisioning this as a troubleshooting tool. Something to pin down those problems that take call after call after call after call to resolve. Something that can be left in place for a short time to catch an intermittent problem.

As to "wasting time" sending a tech back. They'll have to repair the problem, won't they?

I've actually built something to do this. I took an old rack controller, built it up on a box and put an input board inside it.

Now, I can wire in temp sensors, pressure transducers and the like, hook them up to a system that is misbehaving, plug this thing in and walk away.
    All the gizmos will be built in in the very near future IMO. Most everything new has it in some form already that we see. Not real sure about resi but it seem that way also. It seems elaborate tools like this with development time will always be behind the curve. Like something that calculates target SH as a prevalent function when most stuff coming out are TXV. Next step would be Electronic Valves crossing over to resi where everything will be run off a controllers anyway and everything will be at the techs fingertips on site or over the web and it isn't gonna be a ton of money. You are probably seeing the same as us where the quality of mechanical controls are going down the toilet and electronic is taking over driving the cost to mechanical prices. The part changer generation tech era is coming sadly.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    How long are we looking to log data?

A day, a week, a year?

I need my tool back!

I'm looking for something that I can hook up on a Monday and let it cook for a day or so, logging the data. Remote access isn't a HUGE thing for me, but it'd be cool.

Heck, many places have WiFi. FREE WiFi
    JP,
    My TESTO 556 with wireless probes can do that. Take it back to the computer and download to a spreadsheet. I have already done that to tell a couple of Indian Chiefs to take a hike....
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Post Likes

A quality assurance guy in my neck of the woods is someone who goes behind the technicians and checks the quality of service rendered. Not every tech and every job but they pick the site by need.

I think we are agreeing here. I called them chronic problem sites.

If the technician already repaired the problem correctly I shouldn't need to send them back.

Would you make one for every site a technician goes too?

I don't believe what you are talking about and what energy star are talking about are the same thing. Energy Star said he wanted to check on what his techs did so that he knows they are doing the job right. Then check on the unit after they leave.

Your setup sounds more like a short term data logger for sites with constant or erratic problems.

Post Likes
    We've been getting tons of calls from techs looking for the SMAN4 and not being able to find it locally. We started shipping a few weeks ago so now many distributors do have it sitting on their shelf. It' also available online at your favorite online stores. If you haven't seen it here's a sneak peek.

http://youtu.be/OqC1YXNqVEc

Post Likes
    I want connect sman4 to pc directly, without any "toy"
    Is it possible in the near future(soft)
    PS
    As mastercool 99961

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in