Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home Depot install gone bad

Hi all-

Went through the Home Depot for an a/c unit. Subcontractor installed the unit and tied in to the existing 18" of original 1/2 inch condensate line from 1977. Arrived to find my floor flooded due to the line not being attached properly. Subcontractor will not take responsibility and I'm currently working/arguing with the Depot to remedy the situation.
    I'm looking for information that will strengthen my case. Does anyone know what the 33-point quality assurance checklist covers that the Depot is supposed to go over with the homeowner at the end of the job? Also, the subcontractor installed a 2.5 ton 15.5 seer unit in a 896 square foot Florida condo and i don't believe they did a load calculation. I take full responsibility for not overseeing the job better; rather I assumed that by going through the Depot I would receive a professional experience. Lesson learned.
    Thanks,
    Buckman

If they assume responsibility for sizing equipment; it appears to be oversized...

I would like to see their 33-point 'assurance' check list...I'd think the system should pass it...

Quote Originally Posted by buckman View Post
    Subcontractor installed the unit and tied in to the existing 18" of original 1/2 inch condensate line from 1977. Arrived to find my floor flooded due to the line not being attached properly.
    Did you take pictures?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

yes, about 40.

If it were me, I would go to the HD where you made initial contact... and ask for the store manager.

Explain your position and tell him flat out:

You get one chance to fix this, or I call the atty and the local code authority... then just look him in the eye.

If he does ANYTHING other than appoloize and get it fixed, then I would follow through and contact an atty and the local code authority. I suspect you are not the only one who has gotten a bum deal in your area... with a little leg-work on the part of the atty, you may have a class action.

The big box stores seem to think they can use their name to sell, then pass liability to others... IMO that should not be the case.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by buckman View Post
    yes, about 40.
    Well post them.

I believe there 33 point quality check begins with your credit report, bank account balance etc.

I'm sure you know now, but to all who happen upon this thread in the future: DO NOT USE a big box store (bbs) for hvac work. All they do is use a cheap subcontractor with no affiliation to Bbs to do the installation. Call a local contractor and go directly through them instead of paying Bbs to be a middle man so they can choose a low paid contractor to do your high priced job. Ask friends and family, BBB, Angie's List ect. DO NOT rely on Home Depot to chose you a good contractor or stand behind the work.

I think if you look in the IOM for that equipment it may require a ¾ condensate drain line. Connecting to an existing ½ may not have been in the IOM.
    ckartson
    I didn't write the book I just read it!

1/2 " pvc is against code just about everywhere.

I would go to HD asap, if they don't satisfy you in a timely manner, I would call the Florida Secretary of States office and file a complaint.

What ever, please pursue this so it can be addressed for us all, contractors and homer owners.

Thank you....
    "Value our Differences"

Lesson learned. The fact is, the condensate drain is nickel dime stuff in the grand scheme of things. It is a no brainer that is the least of required installation expertise in the overall scope of an HVAC system installation. If they couldn't get this simple mundane task accomplished and are actually balking at a proper remedy, just what did the idiots do with regards to the stuff that is really difficult and requires thought and how will they address any really issues? Take your pictures and documentation including the 33 points of whatever to the installing company and the "Depot" along with a letter of intent from your attorney.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

If you threaten the store manager, he is done with you and you will be stuck. Inform him nicely, ask him how he will address the situation, ask him when it will be inspected and that you would like a copy of the permit for your permanent records.

There is really no excuse for buying Heating or Cooling equipment from a Big Box Store. With so many independent, dependable and knowledgeable HVAC contractors in the market, one need only interview a few (most still do free estimates) to find a good outfit. Fortunately, they are still out there waiting for your call. They will make excellent witnesses and a good one will include a computer generated ACCA Manual 'J' heat load that you can take to small claims court, along with his invoice for the heat load and the corrective measures taken to rectify the problem.

The "licensed" contractors that install for the Big Box stores are by definition the 'LOW BIDDERS' on every job they do. In residential work the low bidder should always be avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by HeyBob View Post
    If you threaten the store manager, he is done with you and you will be stuck. Inform him nicely, ask him how he will address the situation, ask him when it will be inspected and that you would like a copy of the permit for your permanent records.
    Be nice to someone, even if they are a jerk, and you'll at least get more cooperation than you would have being mean back to them.

Or, if that fails, try a sledge hammer.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast