Air Handler Question

Hi to all. Just joined your forum hoping to learn some things. I have small lake cabin in Northern South Dakota. It is 800 sq ft main floor and a full basement. I have installed pex floor heat in the basement floor and am looking to cool and heat the main floor. I have been told that the simplest way to do this is with an air handler as a heat pump is not reliable during some of our bitter winter months. I want to stay with electric. Will the air handler work? I have tried to glean some info from online but am confused. Is it a stand alone system or would I have to add an electric heater to it? The main floor consists of the living room, bedroom, kitchen and small bath room. It is insulated and at present no trees. Three small windows with exposure to the north and west. The south side has three large windows but they are covered by a roof extending out over the deck so very little exposure. If the system would be viable what would be a ball park size I would need? Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. Also any other suggestions or recommendations would be most welcome. Thanks for any help and advise, Paul p.s. My intentions are to live in it year round.

I would recommend getting a few bids from local contractors. They will know what system would be best after making a site survey of the premisis. In addittion to that you will also have someone who is familar with the brand you buy and can service it.
    Buy once, cry once. I mean you wouldn't go to a lawnmower repair shop to buy piston rods for a snow mobile? Although they could probably order them for you.
    If you can't fix it with JB Weld, Duct Tape, and Ty Wire it has to be replaced.
    No good deed goes unpunished.
    If you want to take off friday to go fishing then make sure you train your helper right.

You might want to consider a Mitsubishi ductless "High Heat" heat pump. They remain much more of their capacity than split systems, even in very cold weather. I recommend you look for a Mitsubishi Diamond Contractor as they have more training in these systems.
    Mitsubishi link -
    http://www.mitsubishicomfort.com/en/...ergy-efficient

Thread relocated to AOP

Mitsubishi MSZ/MUZ-FE12 or FE18 unit would be a great fit for those winters, it has full heating capacity down to 5 degrees outside temperature.
    It is the Hyper Heat model.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

Desert Guy is giving you good advice take it and run with it.