Question about leaking A/C unit

Hi all,

I have a Goodman 2.5 ton central A/C system. In May of last year, we noticed that the air coming through the ducts was not cool. So, we called a service company, they came in and found that our system was low on freon, and they recommended simply recharging the system (rather than looking for the leak). At the end of August, we were back to no cooling. So, we had another company come in and perform a leak check for us. They located a leak in the "indoor coil" and provided an estimate on the repair. This is where my questions come up. First, I've now spoke with this company 3 times about the estimate and on each occasion they've given me wildly different prices (almost $1000 difference in estimates based on the 3 conversations I've had with them). Is it normal for estimates to fluctuate like this? Second, in trying to get estimates from other companies for the same job, I want to be sure that I'm referencing the right component that needs fixing. Is the "indoor coil" actually the evaporator coil? Or is there some other component that's generally referred to as the "indoor coil."

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide, and please let me know if I can provide any additional information that might help you!

Best,
    M

Many companies call the indoor coil and A coil, or evaporator coil. Same thing. If this unit is under 5 years of age, the coil should be under warranty. If it's past 5 years, probably not. How old is the system?

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 11-14-2012 at 04:13 PM. Reason: non AOP member

jagans

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Thanks for your response!

The unit is 3 years old. I actually just called the company and they said it is NOT the evaporator coil, it's "the indoor part of the A/C" that is leaking. This seems so non-specific to me as to be of no real help, but I'm not a pro and so may be missing something. I would just like to know if there is a specific part that I need to be asking about when I call the manufacturer. Thanks again for all your help!

Indoor part of the AC, if you have a heat pump..... the indoor coil of a heat pump can function as both an evaporator and a condenser so the technically precise term is the indoor coil. I could rename it to the indoor heat exchanger and it would still be the evaporator coil to most of the general populace and AC trade.

The goodman indoor coil should have a 5 year parts warranty from the manufacturer unless something has recently changed.

The part would be free, the time and materials to install it along with processing the warranty paperwork would not be free.

If the servicing company doesn't have a charge account with the distributor, many distributors require the coil be paid for up front in case the warranty parts allowance is declined due to a misdiagnosis. Doing warranty work isn't always risk free to the service company.
    I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.
    ― Benjamin Franklin

Go to the Goodman/Amana site and find a local A+ dealer and get a second opinion. You are getting the royal "run around" from this service company. Call it whatever they wish, it's the SAME THING AS THE EVAPORATOR/INDOOR COIL. And at 3 years of age, it should be covered with warranty and you should only pay for trip/labor/installation materials. They'll get a new A coil in a box so you'll be on the hook for rest of replacement costs. Call someone else, IMO anyway.

Might even have 10 parts warranty if it was registered in a certain time frame according to Goodman. Call a new company.