Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Portable Air Conditioner

I need to purchase a portable A/C for my wife and I's bedroom. We have a newborn on the way and the bedroom gets to hot.

I was thinking a 2 pipe unit because they are more efficient. Anyone recommend a good brand?

Post Likes
    I've never heard of a two pipe?

Post Likes
    some are 1 pipe. they use room air to cool condenser and then blows it out the pipe to outside.

the 2 pipe brings outside air in 1 pipe, cools condenser, then blows it out the exhaust pipe. this way your not using the air you just conditioned to cool condenser and waste it to the outside.

still trying to convince my wife that a 2 pipe is more efficient.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    some are 1 pipe. they use room air to cool condenser and then blows it out the pipe to outside.

the 2 pipe brings outside air in 1 pipe, cools condenser, then blows it out the exhaust pipe. this way your not using the air you just conditioned to cool condenser and waste it to the outside.

still trying to convince my wife that a 2 pipe is more efficient.
    I'm guessing she is looking at the price tag not the payback lol! That's me and my wife al the way.

Post Likes
    do you have to use a portable? I think I would rather have a window unit. Cheaper, more efficient, no water to empty, compressor outdoors, better all around.

Post Likes
    At this time of year, open a window.
    Later this year, install or repair CENTRAL AC.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    I'm guessing she is looking at the price tag not the payback lol! That's me and my wife al the way.
    My wife got mad at me when I was looking at a portable AC unit and didn't care about price...and got mad that it was in a new Ford pick up..

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post
    My wife got mad at me when I was looking at a portable AC unit and didn't care about price...and got mad that it was in a new Ford pick up..
    Damn women, everyone needs to be cool!

Post Likes
    I have a Danby Premiere in my shop.(12X24, walls insulated, ceiling not) It's a 2 hose version, 317826 and it works great. On high the fan is a little loud but its fine on low. I use the timer to start it in the late afternoon before I come out after dinner and its nice when I get there. For one room in a house it would be fine. It has heat too. It also has a dehumidify feature, never used it though. Had it two years and no problems. I got it at Home Depot or Lowe's, don't remember which.

Post Likes
    gotta be 2 hose. If you look at how much air has to infiltrate to make up for the air lost in the conditioned space by a 1 hose, you may lose all of your cooling to that air, unless it is coming from a conditioned part of the house.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    do you have to use a portable? I think I would rather have a window unit. Cheaper, more efficient, no water to empty, compressor outdoors, better all around.
    +1

Post Likes
    you are going to absolutely hate listening to it all night ....

do you not have central air ?

if your ducts are undersized and it gets hotter on second floor , remove the registers upstairs , it helps quite a bit

Post Likes
    Fujitsu mini split system, very good quality, reasonable price, Mitsubishi or LG are a little overprice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast