Fresh Air Intake - Riello Burner - Pensotti Boiler - Combustion Question

Apologies in advance if this does not make sense however I am quite confused with some info I have rec'd from my oil co. Last Oct (2011) I had a new Pensotti oil boiler with a Riello burner installed in my utility room (8x12 size room) . I also had a new indirect SuperStore hotwater heater installed and my chimney re-lined with a stainless steel insert. Given the size of the utility room I had a fresh air intake installed as well - 4" duct work that runs from the outside of my house directly into the burner. I had my annual system tune up last week and I informed the tech I noticed some soot towards the back of the boiler - not a ton. After he cleaned out the boiler he informed me that I needed more air in the utility room. I was a bit confused when I rec'd this info as my oil co. did the install & I asked them if the fresh air intake was enough when they did the install. They told me based on the size of the room and the fresh air intake I would be fine. Now the tech tells me I'm short air and need to cut a hole in my wall and add a grate/vent, keep the utility door 1/2 open or change the door to a louvered door. The wife really doesn't want to cut a hole in the wall nor does she want to take out the solid pine door we currently have. (Finished basement)

I don't mind adding another fresh air intake if that will fix the problem. I looked on the Field Controls w/s and they have a fan in the can product - but I don't know if that will resolve the issue, if it's needed or if it's even feasible given I already have a fresh air intake into the burner already. I did leave the door 1/2 open since the tune up and it looks like a little soot came back. My co2 detector in the utlitly room has never gone off.

Any thoughts/comments would be greatly appreciated. I just want to ensure everything is working the way it should and I feel like each time I speak with someone I get a different answer.

Thanks

Fresh air inlets do not assure fresh air to the space. The amount of fresh air is determined by the pressure on the the opening. Wind will cause a negative pressure on your fresh air inlet whenever the opening in downwind on your home. To assure fresh when needed, get 4" duct fan that operates whenever the boiler heates. Much needed fresh air to your home functions the same way.
    In your home, you get any fresh air is when the wind blows. Ideally, you should have an air change in 4-5 hours to purge indoor pollutants and renew oxygen for the occupants. Unfortunately, humanes show soot when they get inadequate fresh air.
    An adequate fresh air supply to the home should operate when the home is occupied or the burnner runs.
    Most people have no idea how important fresh air is to the home.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Thread moved/merged to AOP